Beginner questions

Options
Care76
Care76 Posts: 556 Member
Hello, I am new to lifting, so completely green. Right now I have a friend's Olympic bar and a couple 2.5 and 5 lb weights to go with it. My husband's friend who lent me the bar/weights thinks this will be enough for me, but I'm not so sure. I know I will be starting out with just the bar to learn form, but for things like deadlifts I think I will need more. Right now I can lift one 5 gallon (18.9 litre) water bottle in each hand no problem. I googled it and they are each about 41 lbs full. So wouldn't that mean I should be able to deadlift at least 40 lbs plus the bar? Our friend said I should just do more reps with the low weight, but that seems contradictory to everything I have read.

I found a guy selling used weights so I would like to get some. What sizes do you think I will need for the first 6 months or so?

Also, my husband's friend told me since I don't have a squat rack, to keep a chair behind me. Go down to the chair but don't sit, then go back up. He said this should teach me form so I don't go too low and hurt my knees (I have bad knees) and if I can't get back up I can sit and rest instead of being stuck. Does this seem OK?

I don't have a bench yet so I can't start, but I'm getting close!

Also, I have a week left of the 30ds. Is it OK to do this most days and lift? Or should I be alternating? Or just wait until I'm finished the 30ds?

Sorry for all the questions!

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    The weights you have won't be enough for the strong lift programme. The idea is it is progressive so you add 5lb each session. You will rapidly run out of weights.

Can't speak about the chair and getting stuck thing but I believe you need to get at least parallel in your squats for it not to damage your knees. Depends how high your chair seat is I guess. I have always squatted right to the floor and not had any problems.
  • Care76
    Options
    Thanks! So what size weights does one need to start with? There is only 2 x 2.5 lb and 2 x 5 pound. Do I need more of those sizes or just heavier ones? Do any of you use fractional plates?

I'll look into getting a squat rack. Can't find any used in my area so I will have to go new.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    day 1 you just use the bar in theory, day 2 you go up by 5lb so 2.5 on each end. Day 3 you should be up by another 5lb so either 2 2.5 lb on each end or 1 5lb on each end. Day 3 2.5 more on each end so either 3 2.5s or a 5 and a 2.5 on each end.

And so on. You would run out of space pretty quick if all you had was 2.5lb plates. That said, I did not follow that sort of linear progression. I hung at each weight before I tried any more til I was doing extra reps or sets and felt confident. Took me ages to dare put any weight on to bench press as I am working out on my own (at a gym but I don't want rescuing!) That said no way was I ready to bench 50lb on my second time at that and I never got my OHP past 50lb at all.

I have not yet got stuck, maybe I don't push hard enough (came very close on Monday but I managed to rack the bar and just did not get the full rep in) But I don't want injuries and I want to enjoy my workouts. I feel no shame in this and am more than happy with the weight I am lifting.

I don't have fractionals which is one reason I am cautious about putting on new weights every time.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have 2 1.25 lb fractional plates and have found them to be extremely helpful. You could also buy Fastenal washers--I think the 2 inch inside diameter ones generally weigh .75 lb pounds.

It might make some sense at least starting with what you have to: a.) get form down, and b.) determine whether or not you would immediately need more plates--I agree with roxy that you are most likely going to need some soon. At the beginning, it seems like you could start while still doing 30 DS, depending on the routine. I would just make sure you build in sufficient recovery time.

Also, make sure you weigh your oly bar before you start--I discovered that our bar at home was the 30 lb one!
  • Care76
    Options
    Great thanks ladies!

I still don't have a bench. Hopefully by the time I finish shred I will have everything I need to start!
  • Care76
    Options
    I have another question. If I can't get a squat rack right away can I just have my husband spot me? I could just lift after the baby goes to bed for the night.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You can have your husband spot you for a while - but eventually you will reach weights that are pretty hard to get on your back with out a rack. As for doing box squats (or chair squats), google "Girls Gone Strong Squat Video" - they did a great series that covers box squats (or squatting to something behind you). Also, find a copy of Starting Strength and read the section about knees - for most people, squatting to parallel or below is BETTER for their knees than going above parallel (it has to do with the physics of the knee). It's only anecdotal, but I have arthritis in both knees, and squat 210 pounds well below parallel with no pain.