Too much weight loss?

Starting up on MFP to try and track calories...

I had the baby three weeks ago and I am down like 27 lbs. Baby was 9 lbs. Although loosing weight is not really a bad thing, I want to be healthy and maintain my supply. I have not noticed inadequate supply so far, baby is gaining weight, but I am just not that hungry--with a two year old as well as a newborn me missing a meal is typical. Are there any health risks to loosing weight this fast?

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I don't know if there's real science behind it, but kellymom and other such resources advise against losing weight too quickly because your fat cells supposedly release toxins. When you lose weight quickly, those toxins are released even faster than during slow weight loss and enter your bloodstream and breastmilk.

27 lbs in three weeks sounds like it's just your initial postpartum loss, though. It should slow down from here on out. Just force yourself to eat, though, and make sure you're drinking plenty!

ETA congratulations and welcome!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    I wouldn't worry about the substantial loss of the first few weeks. I lost 35 lb during the initial 6 weeks pp with baby #1 and lost 25 lb during the same period after baby #2. Unfortunately I stalled for months and months after that.

If you keep losing weight fast while maintaining good supply, you are one of the lucky ones! Unless you became underweight and/ or have health problems , enjoy your new figure.
    One of my always a bit chubby friend ended up being super slim due to breastfeeding without doing much effort. All other mom in our circle envy her, because we all experience the opposite effect with the breastfeeding and find extremely hard to lose during breastfeeding.
  • Yes with my last one I plateaued for a couple months while nursing, then after I stopped I dropped to 10 lbs under my prepregnancy weight...of course two months later I got pregnant again....

Hoping to be able to sport my swimsuit in the spring.