NSV - first 1000 miles behind me!!!

Options
dougii
dougii Posts: 678 Member
May 24, 2012 and the doctor has given me permission to try running now that I have lost 40 pounds. I leave the house with visions of high school cross country dancing in my head like sugar plums on Christmas eve. Several minutes later, after what has felt like an eternity, and I have discovered that I can not even run a 1/4 of a mile without finding myslef gasping for breath and having my lungs on fire..... C25K completed in July.....first 5K race in August.....5K and 10K races back to back, 10 minutes apart, in October.....mileage increasing to over 100+/month.....fitted for running shoes late October......hip flexor injury stops me from running for 4 months, Dec. - Mar.....back on the road in April.....posterior tibial tendonitis in July (still with me today) slows me down some.....today I reach my first goal and find I have now run 1001.92 miles! WooHoo!!!! It has been a wonderful journey. New goal is 1500 miles in the next 12 months, preferably injury free! Thanks for all of your advice, support, and encouragement during my first 1000!

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    So glad for you, Doug!! Great job and great accomplishment!
  • smiley13000
    smiley13000 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    DOUG?! That is amazing!! To have been through all of those injuries, recovered, and STILL not give up is FANTASTIC! You are seriously such an inspiration to me. I am so happy that we are friends! I really like being you're "pseudo" daughter. Hopefully one day I'll be as good of a runner as you are :)
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Amazing dedication!!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow, what perseverance! You should be proud of yourself :-).
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! Cheers to an injury-free 1500 miles!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Here's to many more happy, injury free miles!!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Outstanding!

I just hit 1000 miles a couple of weeks ago. And I've also had some injury setbacks. But I'm hoping that's all behind me.

Have fun on your next 1000 and the 1000 after that.
  • hironsd
    hironsd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Amazing!! Well done!
    This totally makes me wish I would have kept track of my mileage.