Fats vs Carbs

Options
Well-explained article written by the Air Force's father of running. He breaks down the purpose of carbs/fats when running, and also talks about fueling strategy.

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/pt365/2013/10/25/ask-the-experts-dr-mark-cucuzzellas-hybrid-strategy-for-running-a-marathon/

Replies

• KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My strategy - ALL THE FAT AND ALL THE CARBS! ALL THE TIME!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

My strategy - letting you execute your strategy :laugh:
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options

My strategy - letting you execute your strategy :laugh:

You strategy = letting me win! (my 40/40/20 macros have actually been working pretty well for me. WATCH OUT!)
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Sonic, aren't your doughnuts like the best of both those worlds?

If there is jelly in the middle, that is fruit. Fruit is healthy. Ergo your doughnut is healthy. :flowerforyou:
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    But I thought this part was interesting:
    "Also practice nasal breathing; it forces belly breathing and prevents you from running in too high a gear. Nasal breathing also allows CO2 to rise naturally to assist in offloading the oxygen to the tissues. Blowing off CO2 binds the oxygen to the hemoglobin, inhibiting offload to the tissues."

My soccer coach in college (and also many of the articles I have read online) have said that how you breathe (open mouth or through nose) isn't as important.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That explains why distance runners lose weight.

ETA - I need more distance, then. I need to lose more weight so I can go faster. But half-marathon training won't begin until early Spring for me.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I will be practicing breathing through the nose. I am a terrible mouth breather. I also found the gas/electric analogy to be very interesting. Thanks for sharing!