Healthy mom/baby Calorie Intake?

Hello all! I'm 18 weeks along and am up 2 pounds! (5'6" - 148 start weight). I started heavier by about 20 pounds than I wanted to, but still within a healthy BMI. My maintenance intake is right over 1700 calories, and now that I'm in the second trimester, I know I need to add 300 to that....so should take in a little over 2000 calories. Unfortunately, I've been living on 1200 calories a day (with alcohol!) and am actually struggling to take in the required amount while eating healthy. ...is anyone else struggling with eating the full amount? Im up to whole milk, tons of peanut butter, and carbs carbs carbs.....but that's a lot of calories!

Replies

• PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Yes I am struggling with eating the full amount of calories that I need every day. However I am quite larger than you, so my maintenance is more plus the 300 on top of that! On a typical day I am supposed to be eating 2300 calories. I started off my second trimester very hungry after all the nausea in the first trimester kept me from eating a lot. But in the past week I have had a lot more trouble reaching my goal. I do like you, I add peanut butter to stuff, snack on healthy foods, enjoy a good size dinner, and give in to the occasional craving, yet I still have trouble.

I would be interested to see who else has been dealing with the same issues, and also anyone who has been able to overcome that too!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    You have been eating 1200 calories and not lost weight, but even gained a couple pounds? Maybe your calorie counting isn't totally accurate. (just a thought!) Just add a little bit extra on top of what you are doing, I don't think you need to try and fit in another 500-800 calories. Definitely focus on getting protein and fat.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    I'm 5'2" at my starting weight was 130 lbs. I have gained 15 lbs so far at 36w5d and have been eating between 2000-2300 calories/per day and having no problem getting my calories in. I also eat back my exercise calories.
  • LaurenBraddy
    LaurenBraddy Posts: 65 Member
    You have been eating 1200 calories and not lost weight, but even gained a couple pounds? Maybe your calorie counting isn't totally accurate. (just a thought!) Just add a little bit extra on top of what you are doing, I don't think you need to try and fit in another 500-800 calories. Definitely focus on getting protein and fat.
  • LaurenBraddy
    LaurenBraddy Posts: 65 Member
    Crap, I apparently don't know how to "quote" but no, I'm not trying to do 1200 anymore, that was my pre-pregnancy goal! I've never been a big eater quantity wise, I just made terrible quality decisions. Now that I have someone else to "eat" for, I'm being a lot more conscious about making good healthy choices. (Apparently I wont do it for me....oh well....another post for another day). After talking to some other pregnant ladies with the same type of problem, they've said they don't worry so much about "counting" but more about eating healthy, balanced, and listening to their bodies. I think that's what I'm going to do from here on out. If I'm starving and go over, I won't sweat it, and conversely, nor will I force feed myself or eat poor food choices to hit a number. I'm still going to keep track, but I'm not going to stress about it from here on out!
  • dandelyon
    Crap, I apparently don't know how to "quote" but no, I'm not trying to do 1200 anymore, that was my pre-pregnancy goal! I've never been a big eater quantity wise, I just made terrible quality decisions. Now that I have someone else to "eat" for, I'm being a lot more conscious about making good healthy choices. (Apparently I wont do it for me....oh well....another post for another day). After talking to some other pregnant ladies with the same type of problem, they've said they don't worry so much about "counting" but more about eating healthy, balanced, and listening to their bodies. I think that's what I'm going to do from here on out. If I'm starving and go over, I won't sweat it, and conversely, nor will I force feed myself or eat poor food choices to hit a number. I'm still going to keep track, but I'm not going to stress about it from here on out!

That makes more sense, and healthy is a great approach!
  • dandelyon
    Incidentally, I also read your first post to mean that you were drinking alcohol to try and up your calories while pregnant and thought to myself... hm, not touching that one. :laugh:

Here's to a healthy pregnancy! :drinker: