Aubrette's sorta log :p

Options
Heya :)

I'm not sure if what I'm doing is really considered a "bulk" per se or more just a recomp (thought I guess that is kind of a bulk in it's own way..sorta....idk what I'm talking about!)

I started eating at maintenance last week (which according to MFP is 1470ish, up from the 1280 I was eating) and I'm doing bodyweight training using the app for You Are Your Own Gym, as I don't have access to a gym at this time. I want to keep a lean look, but since I've lost weight I've come to realize there wasn't much muscle under there! I would prefer a lower body fat % but at this point if I were to do that I think I would just look scrawny and be underweight.

I mainly want more "defined" abs, and I'd like to build my glutes a little as I lost some of that mass in the weight loss lol, but otherwise just want to stay slim but be more "solid" I guess. I realize I will probably have to eat at somewhat of a surplus and then cut down later, but I'm still adjusting to maintenance and not sure I'm ready for that yet. I'll try to post some pics below, taken 10/30/13. I am 5' 3", around 103-104ish.

Never posted pics before, hope this works:

44006321_7766.jpg

44006321_6995.jpg

44006321_2575.jpg

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I will say that your goals are probably more aligned with a body recomp. However if you want to build solid, all around muscle as you can not spot reduce or even spot build you will have to lose the idea of abs and staying lean. That's pretty obsolete in bulking. Take your time adjusting to maintenance, lift and add in a little cardio and be patient. You can make significant changes doing just that and then down the road enter into a bulk. When someone is very lean and wants more muscle I do tend to suggest bulking but they have to have the right mindset bc it's mentally challenging forcing yourself to gain weight. Do you eat your calories back bc that's a very low maintenance goal for an active female?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    When someone is very lean and wants more muscle I do tend to suggest bulking but they have to have the right mindset bc it's mentally challenging forcing yourself to gain weight. Do you eat your calories back bc that's a very low maintenance goal for an active female?

I agree. Welcome! I'm attempting a "slow," or "clean," bulk, which is eating in a small surplus with the hope of gaining less fat with the muscle...but at the same time, I am gaining fat. It's prettey much inevitable. You can minimize fat gains by being patient (think: watching paint dry or grass grow).
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Thanks for the replies :)

Yes I think you're right, I'm probably looking more for a recomp. I've struggled with my weight my whole life and for the first time I'm relatively happy with it, so I don't think I could psychologically handle a bulk right now, especially since I still pick myself apart at this low weight!

I try to eat all exercise calories back, however I find it difficult to estimate since as of right now I do 30 min of You Are Your Own Gym 4 days a week, and that's it. As of right now I still have my activity set to sedentary because I literally sit on my *kitten* all day, both at work and when I get home, lol! I have always been a couch potato....it's bad! :x
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Well, you are welcome to recomp away here--we don't discriminate :flowerforyou:
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Well, you are welcome to recomp away here--we don't discriminate :flowerforyou:

Yay! Thanks :D it's nice to have a support network!
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Good morning :). Within the next few days I plan on taking some pics, I know I am only 4 weeks in but I do feel like there is some improvement! Although I may be the only one who can see it, lol.

I have been trying to eat at maintenance (for recomp since I'm not really trying to bulk) though I have averaged about 1580 net calories (MFP estimates my maintenance at 1470) for the past 4 weeks and have not gained any weight, so that's good...yay for more food! I am still unsure of what my activity level is so I still have it set to sedentary, that could be why. I'm new to maintaining so figuring out my TDEE will take a while I suppose.

Anyways, I will update more later when I actually get some pics, but that's my brief little ramble :)
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Sounds good! Definitely keep the same cals over the course of 4 weeks. If you don't gain or lose anything, then you've got your maintenance level on point. Can't wait to see pics.
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Just for fun..here are some before pics of me over the years. The first two are around 2006, roughly 135ish lbs. The pic with the red shirt is I think 2008 when I was around the mid 140s. My highest was 149, I have yet to find a pic of this but I'm sure some exist somewhere..lol XD

44006321_197.jpg

44006321_7207.jpg

44006321_6899.jpg
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    You've made incredible progress!!! Great job!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Wonderful progress, I think you'll like the recomp plan. :wink:
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Wow! Fantastic progress :-)
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree...fantastic progress!!!
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    okay, so I'm going to hold off on posting some pictures because the holidays kind of threw me for a loop lol.. I definitely went a little crazy on Thanksgiving and then my birthday, my mother's birthday, and Christmas are all in the same week. too much good food to pass up, and to be honest I've been having a rough time with self control slipping into old eating habits. I would like to spend the next couple of weeks cutting for a little bit as I feel a little more jiggly tHan I would like to be lol, on the bright side I am in week 9 of the beginner program of you are your own gym and I haven't missed a single workout.

here's to getting back on track!
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Hello! I guess it's time for an update. I did 10 weeks of the You Are Your Own Gym beginner program. I liked it, but I could tell I wasn't pushing myself that hard and couldn't seem to get the motivation to push harder. After that, I stopped working out altogether for like..a month >.< lol, and over eating somewhat. Probably stress at work/being tired all the time.

But anyway, I just got my Gold's Gym membership, and this morning I went and did my first day of Strong Curves :D. It wasn't as scary as I was making it out to be, tho I did kind of keep to my little area and got all shy and didn't really do much exploring. I need to suck it up and do that tomorrow lol. I really want to be consistent and successful with this program, and I did find the gym environment helped me feel more motivated to push myself harder.

I had a little trouble figuring out which weights to use for some exercises, some I started too heavy, others I started too light..bleh I'll figure it out I hope!

Overall it was a good first experience though, and I'm excited to make it a regular part of my life. I really want to get serious and correct this whole skinny-fat situation!

Current stats as of this morning (for the few things I actually measured :p):

5' 3"
    105.2 lbs
    Waist: 24" (up 1 inch from December :x oopsy lol)
    Hips: 34" (would like to increase that one.....)

Might take a pic later, we shall see....have a great day everyone! :)
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Good to hear it was a good first experience!

Regarding the starting weights: I don't know the Strong Curves program, but most programs start with a "test day" to determine the starting weights on the various excercises. Reading stuff from Bret Contreras, I'm pretty sure this is covered somewhere in the program documentation!
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Hello! Yes, he said try to find the weight where I can do 10 reps max, I think I got a pretty good idea of which ones they are, it was a little confusing though as I got more tired the more weights I tried haha XD

It's crazy how much my strength levels differed for different moves! I think I need to google some videos though, I did dumbbell dead lifts and I'm not sure my form was right..I don't want to go causing injuries now lol

Hoping to be less shy and venture out of my corner tomorrow :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have a triple digit dead lift.

For an over head front deltoid raise (shoulders)- 20 lb bar.

not all muscles are created equal. it's okay- it's totally normal.

So for picking the right weight- if it's a smaller muscle- start smaller- usually 5 or 10's.
    If it's a bigger muscle usually you can start with something bigger like 15-20 or the barbell.

Really there is no right answer- just trial and error- and walking over to the rack and picking up a weight- pick it up- can you lift it 5-10 times? can you lift it at all? Can you barely lift it?

don't be afraid to lift it- and put it down- have to check the pride at the door on this one. I have done a set- pushed for a second and gotten half way through it and realized it wasn't working- finish set 2 and get a lighter weight for sets 3 and 4.

it is what it is- you'll drop them- you'll fail you'll struggle- if you ARE NOT- then it's not heavy enough. :)

You can do it!!!
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Thanks for the support! :)

So.. I have what may be a sort of stupid question >.<
    I'm currently attempting a recomp (once I figure out for sure what my maintenance is..) as I really would like to stay lean and continue to lose body fat without getting into dangerous "underweight" territory (although I don't totally go by BMI, according to that I teeter back and forth between normal and underweight, while my body fat is still higher than I would like). However, I really would like to life and round out my glutes - significantly if possible - and maybe add some mass to them.

Is something like that at all possible with a recomp and whatever noob gains I might be able to get? I know if I really want to build the booty a surplus is the way to go but I also know that I'm not in a place psychologically where I could handle a true bulk at this time.

Sorry if I'm repeating anything I may have asked in the past, I tend to confuse myself and overthink things :x
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Mad at myself.......

This is week 3 of the Strong Curves beginner program. I really want to go to the gym 4 days a week so far I have been consistently doing 3 days. This week I went on Monday....and I haven't gone since >.<. I plan to go tomorrow and Sunday, but I'm still mad that I managed to talk myself out of it for 4 days in a row!

Any of you ever have days like that? What do you do to overcome the laziness? I really want to stick with this!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Mad at myself.......

This is week 3 of the Strong Curves beginner program. I really want to go to the gym 4 days a week so far I have been consistently doing 3 days. This week I went on Monday....and I haven't gone since >.<. I plan to go tomorrow and Sunday, but I'm still mad that I managed to talk myself out of it for 4 days in a row!

Any of you ever have days like that? What do you do to overcome the laziness? I really want to stick with this!

I had that same exact feeling of not working out, putting it off one day. That's when I realized I needed to change my program to get myself motivated again. I also workout 4 times a week and have started Strong Curves. I'm doing day 3 tonight and I can't wait!

How are you doing on going to the gym?