Some women are too fat for Yoga pants.

Options
Koldnomore
Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
Not sure if this is just a Canadian thing or if Lululemon is a more global brand but basically last year the company had to pull a bunch of their yoga pants out of the stores because people were complaining they were too sheer.

The founder of the company gave an interview in which he said something to the effect of "some women's bodies don't work for the pants" He was in no way rude about it and you could see he was struggling to find the right choice of words but he still managed to offend people.

Personally I have always believed that one should dress for their body type and that not everything is meant to be worn by everyone so I don't understand what the big deal is. Why a person try to cram themselves into skin tight pants anyhow? I don't get it and never did. I would never dream of wearing something so revealing/clingy when I was at my highest weight and honestly my current 'yoga' style pants are made of much thicker material than many of what I have seen around being worn by people who have no business wearing them.

I have seen parts of strangers anatomies that aren't fit for public consumption far too many times since those pants became 'fashionable' I say good for him for actually having the balls to point out something that should be common sense as far as I am concerned.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/lululemon-founder-says-yoga-pants-don-t-work-with-some-women-s-bodies-1.1532005

Do you guys think that people of any body shape can wear any type of clothes? Is it this company's fault that their 'athletic clothing' is not fabricated to be under the kind of stress that would be placed on it by those who are too large to fit into it comfortably?

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Eh. Having tried on a broomstick skirt where my considerablely larger friend (both in height and weight as well as her family of varying sizes) can wear them and look good in them, I know for a fact not all clothes fit different bodies the same way. I think people get way too sensitive about things like this. And I think many people want to look good in something trendy so bad they talk themselves into believing they do.

I don't buy Lululemon because of their designs or whether I can wear them, but because they are too damned expensive.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I've always been of the mind that people can wear whatever they want and it really seems like some people do (whether it fits or not) without thought to how they really look, I would NEVER say anything rude to them...........now to whomever I am with I would probably say they really shouldn't be wearing that, and I find peoples style of dress somewhat entertaining so I really don't mind if it never stops. Different strokes for different folks and all that. Doesn't mean I can't find a way to turn and negative into a positive and enjoy the colorfulness of people in this world. Should clothing companies be blamed for the way their athletic clothes fit on a person too large for them, definitely not. You No like You No buy, that simple
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I think what he said was pretty accurate, but you have to wonder if it is smart business. He would obviously want everyone to buy is product whether they look great in it or not.

As far as dressing for your body type, I think that this whole subject is tougher than people realize. I can honestly say I don't think people know exactly how they look in an outfit without outside perspective. I am not a woman, but I can tell you from my experience, while I have always known when I am too heavy or losing weight....I never have had a true idea of what I look like until I see a picture of myself. There are several times I have gotten dressed up for something and, although I knew I was heavy, didn't realize how badly out of control things had gotten until I saw pictures family members took of that event.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I concur, but expanding his market would mean more sales right??? Is there a bigger market for clothes that people buy ONLY because they are not in larger sizes or because they are a good price and quality?

I agree with Adrian too. I look at myself in the mirror sometimes and think I look great. then I see a picture and wonder who photoshopped it to make me look like a cow. There are plenty of things I would not wear because of my size. Such a a bandeau top or a tucked in shirt. Neither are going to look good with my gut.

Edited to add: I wish more companies would make athletic clothes in larger sizes. When I get cute, nice fitting work out clothes, it's always inspiration to go to the gym. Why not inspire the overweight demographic to be active rather than the opposite, since they can't find appropriate fitting gym clothes. Old navy I can wear the largest size (or one smaller) when they are on sale but an affordable price, not always. Cute, decent gym clothes for the plus size crowd are hard to find!!
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I think what he said was pretty accurate, but you have to wonder if it is smart business. He would obviously want everyone to buy is product whether they look great in it or not.

As far as dressing for your body type, I think that this whole subject is tougher than people realize. I can honestly say I don't think people know exactly how they look in an outfit without outside perspective. I am not a woman, but I can tell you from my experience, while I have always known when I am too heavy or losing weight....I never have had a true idea of what I look like until I see a picture of myself. There are several times I have gotten dressed up for something and, although I knew I was heavy, didn't realize how badly out of control things had gotten until I saw pictures family members took of that event.

Adrian, this is exactly why I ALWAYS go serious clothes shopping /with/ someone. Because I always think I look good in things I don't and then I don't look good in things that I do. If I am in a crunch I will take a picture of myself and send it to a few folks as well.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Adrian, this is exactly why I ALWAYS go serious clothes shopping /with/ someone. Because I always think I look good in things I don't and then I don't look good in things that I do. If I am in a crunch I will take a picture of myself and send it to a few folks as well.

Lol. That is a lot more effort than I am willing to put in. But it does depend on what I am dressing for. If it is a t-shirt, the only criteria I have is that I can move around somewhat comfortably without my belly falling out and is long enough to cover my massive rear and crack that will inevitably show up when I sit or bend over.

For dress clothes,. I am usually with my wife. If I am alone I will find a woman who works there or a gay man.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I concur, but expanding his market would mean more sales right??? Is there a bigger market for clothes that people buy ONLY because they are not in larger sizes or because they are a good price and quality?

Two words: Victoria Secret.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    As I recall, the "sheer pants" issue was claimed to be that the pants stretched to a point of sheerness even on the "right sized" women (in certain positions). For Yoga pants...that's kind of a problem. It was a larger problem because some people were buying pants that were a little too small and therefore were stretching in other positions, too.

Outside of this one retailer, there's also the larger issue that women's clothing is a ***** to size, because there are simply too many variables. Some women have larger thighs, some have wider hips, larger chest, etc.

Even when I get down to my ideal weight, I'll probably still have hips that will push 40", while my waist will likely be closer to 30". I don't look forward to finding pants that fit at that size. I did it when I was younger and largely gave up and wore men's jeans, because it was easier to find 32x34 or 34x34 pants than it was to find 12-16 longs that fit the thighs, hips, legs, and waist.

That said, buy clothing that fits as best as you can and it will last far longer and will more than likely look better on you, no matter what your size. Buying a smaller size just so you don't bruise your ego does you no favors. (Side note - I don't think it's a bad idea to buy a half size or size down if you're actively trying to lose weight, as long as there's the understanding that you might not be able to wear that item for a while until you drop down to that size, and you're not trying to wear it now, while it's still too small.)
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Lol. That is a lot more effort than I am willing to put in. But it does depend on what I am dressing for. If it is a t-shirt, the only criteria I have is that I can move around somewhat comfortably without my belly falling out and is long enough to cover my massive rear and crack that will inevitably show up when I sit or bend over.

For dress clothes,. I am usually with my wife. If I am alone I will find a woman who works there or a gay man.

Yeah... but I'm a woman... on the short and lumpy side.. It is so freaking hard to shop for my body... I just don't do it right now..
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    As I recall, the "sheer pants" issue was claimed to be that the pants stretched to a point of sheerness even on the "right sized" women (in certain positions). For Yoga pants...that's kind of a problem. It was a larger problem because some people were buying pants that were a little too small and therefore were stretching in other positions, too.

Outside of this one retailer, there's also the larger issue that women's clothing is a ***** to size, because there are simply too many variables. Some women have larger thighs, some have wider hips, larger chest, etc.

Even when I get down to my ideal weight, I'll probably still have hips that will push 40", while my waist will likely be closer to 30". I don't look forward to finding pants that fit at that size. I did it when I was younger and largely gave up and wore men's jeans, because it was easier to find 32x34 or 34x34 pants than it was to find 12-16 longs that fit the thighs, hips, legs, and waist.

That said, buy clothing that fits as best as you can and it will last far longer and will more than likely look better on you, no matter what your size. Buying a smaller size just so you don't bruise your ego does you no favors. (Side note - I don't think it's a bad idea to buy a half size or size down if you're actively trying to lose weight, as long as there's the understanding that you might not be able to wear that item for a while until you drop down to that size, and you're not trying to wear it now, while it's still too small.)

On a side note here... when buying jeans (at least... as I don't remember what all they have) try looking at the buckle... last time I was there they would taylor your jeans to fit your body. You found a style you liked and then had them taylored. They were around $50 or so when I went there last, but they were the best looking jeans EVER on me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

On a side note here... when buying jeans (at least... as I don't remember what all they have) try looking at the buckle... last time I was there they would taylor your jeans to fit your body. You found a style you liked and then had them taylored. They were around $50 or so when I went there last, but they were the best looking jeans EVER on me.

O.O I'll have to look into that once I get down closer to my goal weight, I know there's one around here. $50 isn't bad around here, especially if they're also tailored. Thanks for the tip!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    "Some women are too fat for Yoga pants."

That is a true statement. Of course, some are not.

But, no one has the right to tell a person what they can or cannot wear. Except in the workplace.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    This falls under the 'common sense is not so common' heading.

Of course some people shouldn't wear certain types of clothing but there are a lot of people who don't understand that just because you can wear it, doesn't mean that you should wear it, or at least that you should wear it in public. I could care less what people wear in private.

And, really, this isn't solely directed at fat people. As someone who lives in a vacation destination I have seen some 'interesting' ensembles on people that I'm pretty certain they wouldn't wear back home, mind you, I could be wrong.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    "Some women are too fat for Yoga pants."

That is a true statement. Of course, some are not.

But, no one has the right to tell a person what they can or cannot wear. Except in the workplace.

He didn't say they couldn't wear them, he just pointed out that if someone is wearing pants that are too small for them or do not fit properly, there may be issues with sheerness and the like. He also mentioned that women are wearing these pants for purposes which they were not intended. They are workout pants, so if people wear them for different activities that they are not designed for, then there may be unforeseen consequences.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Which is why there have been times when I have avoided cameras like a mafia hit man.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am CANADIAN, and its true, some women are too fat for yoga pants and anything else really.
    who wants to look at a fat *kitten* in the tightest jeans they cannot even get into.
    they have to use a hanger to get into them.
    Fat bottomed girls need to get on their bike and ride!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I am CANADIAN, and its true, some women are too fat for yoga pants and anything else really.
    who wants to look at a fat *kitten* in the tightest jeans they cannot even get into.
    they have to use a hanger to get into them.
    Fat bottomed girls need to get on their bike and ride!

:huh: