Exercise Snobs...who needs 'em?!?! Grrr! 11/9

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/cardio/tips/mean-girls/?sssdmh=dm17.700790&esrc=nwfitdailytip110713

I found this interesting. I don't know if men encounter the same issue. I would be interested to know but I have had my share of women that are particularly mean to you at the gym, exercise club or bootcamp you name it. I usually ignore them but let's face it for someone who is already timid it does pose a problem for some who are new and trying to get in shape.
Why can't we all just get along and be supportive?!?!

So, next time you see someone new to the game of exercise....give a smile or a thumbs up or any support. You don't know how you may make them come back for antoher day!

WW

Replies

• Mazydasiy2001
    Mazydasiy2001 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I found that to a common problem my own self. I guess that why i don't go to the gym anymore. These women who have no reason to lose weight and are skinny and just want to tone themselves in areas that don't need to be toned are very mean. I have learned to stay away from them but they always look at you funny. So no gym for me not worth my money. I just do my walking and Couch to 5k.

Thanks for your topic
    Kim
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    interesting article...personalities are personalities no matter the age....I work out at home now but I remember when I was 15 I had a spa lady membership and there was a group of 4-5 women who probably were in their 20's...definitely a clique...never bothered me but I remember being in awe of those women because they always had coordinated workout clothes (thong leotards and all!), a full face of makeup every hair in place, and a serious stairmaster obsession!!! Clearly they were not there to impress men (it was Spa LADY) so I think it was just their social thing and they were definitely into it. they were not mean girls though, just into themselves. Quite frankly, I take my makeup off, wrap up my hair or throw a hat on it, and have been know to workout in men's underwear because I can get a pack of 6 for $11 at Walmart (whatever lululemon)....LOL
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I saw this a lot when I was at a bigger gym, I was one of the outsiders at the gym (although occasionally I did find that one or two people would say hi to me but that was about it.) Being at a smaller gym, seems to make a difference to me, people do tend to group together, but not to the exclusion of anyone, everyone fits in somewhere with us and everybody gets treated like a friend
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    I've encountered this before...When I weighed less at Gold's Gym.

I now have a membership at the Parks and Recreation family gym. It seems much more inclusive. People mind their business and work out.

My husband said he saw some young guys giving a girl a hard time in the weight room once, but a bunch of people put them in their place.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I see that could even remotely be considered snobbery is when someone corrects your form. It's usually prefaced with "I blew out X doing Y the exact way you're doing it now". So they're usually warranted corrections.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Im a member of a big chain gym, having swopped from a different big chain, and I can honestly say I've never had a problem with snobbery, everyone goes about their business, people chat, spinning classes have a great vibe, obviously there is bound to be people that dont want to interact with others, but its also a matter of timing, most people exchange pleasentaries :-)