Cross bike recommendations?

Options
Csuvetmed
Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
Hello cyclists,

I'm primarily a runner, but I really enjoy biking to work and around town. I'd also like to begin doing some longer rides on weekends as cross-training.

Currently, my bike is a real beast....in the weight category. Basically, I got a free old Trek MTB frame at a garage sale, and then the hubby fixed it up as a single-speed with components he had lying around or found on sale. It's even got a huge rack for carrying beer and groceries! This bike has served my purposes extremely well, but now that I've started a new job, my bike commute is a very hilly 14 miles each way, including about 3 miles of packed dirt road with occasional sections of loose gravel. The heavy single-speed is no longer cutting it, although I'm actually pretty proud that I can average a 16mph pace on that sucker!

Additionally, I'd love to do some triathlons this year--I would not be overly competitive or fast, I imagine, but I'd like to show up with a bike that can get the job done.

So, I have 2 questions.

1) I was thinking a cross bike would be most appropriate for my goals. Agree?
2) Any specific recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, if it makes a difference, I'm 5'6", 125 lbs. I will go get appropriately sized at a shop and try out lots of bikes, but I'd thought I'd start by getting some ideas from you knowledgeable folks :happy:

ETA: I can only afford 1 bike at the moment, and my budget is probably....$2500 max

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a cyclocross bike myself, a CAADX. This model...

cannondale-caadx-tiagra-disc-2014.jpg

It's basically a fatter road bike, with wider tires and a longer wheelbase (ie, less "twitchy"). I also very much like the Cannondale Quick SLs, that might be a consideration if you prefer flat bars.

I'm 70% road, 30% groomed trails, FSRs, etc.

For $2500, you will get a fantastic bike. With that budget, you could even split it between a road bike and a hard tail trail bike and end up with 2 very nice bikes for the same dollars.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    strangely enough, I'm awaiting delivery of the 105 version of that CAADX DIsk myself... frankly, I can hardly wait :bigsmile:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My husband has this one. He likes it a lot.

http://www.ubcbike.com/store/product/158332/2013-Scott-CX-Team/
  • sansey
    sansey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think a cross bike would fit for exactly what your looking for in my opinion. There are a lot of really nice affordable cross bikes out there on the market. Check out the Trek Cross rip it is around 1000 and pretty nice bike. On my wish list for a cross bike is a Foundry Auger. http://foundrycycles.com/bikes/auger I will own one some day. Hopefully soon!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My husband (and me part-time) work at a Specialized dealership so 90% of our bikes are Specialized.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Specialized Tricross!!

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/fitness/tricross/tricross-comp-disc

37827-Velo-Specialized-Tricross-Comp-Disc-C2-250x219.png