Running during the week in the winter

Options
2»

Replies

• LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have incredibly limited and very specific windows of opportunity to get runs in during the week. Best I can get on weekdays is 30-40 minutes before work. I can run longer if I get up super early but like you, I'm limited to the zig zagging in a smaller neighborhood because I don't like straying too far from home in the dark. Weekends I can run long if I get up early & I'm ok with that. Worst case scenario - gym treadmill - but that makes me cranky so I try and avoid that at all costs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I work at home on my own schedule but I still run every morning at 5:45 so that I can run with a group. If you can find a local group I think that's the best way to get motivated and stay safe. There's also the added benefit of good company and often a good cup of coffee afterwards.

That is a great idea! I know there is a local group that does long runs on Saturdays and evening runs, but I am not sure about morning weekdays. I will look around and see what I can find.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Now that it's cooler I may run during lunchtime once or twice a week. When it's hotter (I'm in GA) it takes forever for me to cool down, even with a shower-- not cute. But mostly I'm a nighttime runner during the week. I pick routes that are well-lit, on sidewalks in popular areas and wear reflective/lighted gear. I can't bring myself to get up any earlier than I already do (6 a.m.)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I only run twice during the work week. I work at 9:30 but I have kids to get off to school and ect. So I run 6:30 am no longer than 5 miles. Then I run twice a week on the weekend when I can whenever I want pretty much. I stay to populated areas with traffic. I live in the city so I stay along the main streets during rush hour. I might be forced to get a gym membership to use the dreadmill every once in awhile. :/
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I work at home on my own schedule but I still run every morning at 5:45 so that I can run with a group. If you can find a local group I think that's the best way to get motivated and stay safe. There's also the added benefit of good company and often a good cup of coffee afterwards.

That is a great idea! I know there is a local group that does long runs on Saturdays and evening runs, but I am not sure about morning weekdays. I will look around and see what I can find.

if the group is on Facebook post on the group and see if there are anybody in your area who wanted to run in the mornings with you