Where do you insert your pump catheter?

Options
Hi T1 pals,

Ive been T1 41 yrs but have only had a pump for one yr. So far Ive only inserted the catheter all over my stomach. I have a Medtronic Paradigm. It has the shortest tubing available but it is a pain sometimes getting in the way. Where do yall insert it other than your stomach? I need suggestions that make it easy to use without being too hard to handle the tubing.

Thanks much for any suggestions for spots that work well for you,
Diane

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have entered my catheter into my upper thigh several times before, my upper rear end as well.....
  • wannabthin65
    wannabthin65 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sammi <3
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I've tried my calf, which didn't work very well. It was hard to find a spot that didn't hurt. I've also done upper abdomen, below the bra but above the pant line. That doesn't work well for me either because I twist and move and sweat so much when I workout that it usually peels up early. I've done thigh area, just have to be super careful not to tear it out when you're taking your pants up and down! I have a couple friends who use their arms, but I haven't been brave enough to try that yet!
  • wannabthin65
    Options
    Thanks Amber!: heart: ya!,
    Diane
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been a pumper for 15 years. Been T1 for 40. I do a W pattern on my stomach area. Try to go two weeks on one side, then transfer to the other to let one side heal up. I highly recommend using IV prep pads to help make the skin sticky. Also, always cover the site with a M3000 cover. Fold it in half to cut a hole in the middle and voila, you're in business.

As for the tubing. This makes my daughter crazy, who is also a pumper. I cut a small hole in the bottom of my right pants pocket. I always clip my pump on my pocket because I don't like to feel it on my waist. I clip the tubing under the clip first, then clip to the pocket. Run the tubing through the hold in the pocket, under your underwear, then hook up. The tubing is in the leg of your jeans, doesn't get in the way. And when you go to the bathroom, it'll be out of the way because you ran it under your underwear.

Sorry for the long explanation, but this has worked for me all these years. I always wear it on my right, knowing there's a hole in that pocket, I don't put anything smaller than the hold for the site hub in there.
    Good luck!!

Corinne
  • Ghomerzgirl
    Ghomerzgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    T1 for 23yrs but only pumping since Aug (this time around anyway). I am unable to use my stomach, every time I have tried blood goes back into the tubing. I use my side love handles and my back above my pant line. Every site change I change from right to left to right side and then side to back area to give them all time to heal. Then clip it to the pocket of my jeans and stuff the tubing into my pocket. I wish I could use my legs but I have so much scar tissue there from injections that I can't use them anymore, and my arms are so thin that it hurts to place my site there. I am unable to use the IV Prep, I have a reaction with it and adhesive does not like to stick to me so I just use a non lotion or moisturizing soap to clean it and then put two small strips of 3m Transpore tape to reinforce my site. I currently use the Cleo 90 sets for my T:Slim but am going in next week to see about some different sets. I don't' place my own sets just because of their locations, my boyfriend does them for me.

Jenn
  • wannabthin65
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I appreciate it & Im sorry you have so much trouble. Diane
  • wannabthin65
    Options
    Thanks Connie for the info. Its very helpful.
    Diane
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have had my pump for 12 years. Right now am using the outside of my abdomen and butt/hip area right below my belt line. I am just getting back to using my hip again after taking about 6 months off of it so that it could heal. I have put on some weight (intentionally) and it makes it much easier to put in my stomach now. I try to just rotate the site as much as I can and will tuck the tubing under my pants/belt to keep it more secure. My pump just gets thrown in a pocket.
  • wannabthin65
    Options
    Thank you Mike. I appreciate your input. I might just try my hips.
    Diane
  • torybobory1989
    torybobory1989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been putting the infusion set in my upper thigh/ hip area for 15 years now. It rarely causes my any discomfort, and I've never thought of moving it elsewhere.
  • kchez1105
    Options
    I started out using my stomach, but now I use my love handle area. sometimes upper read end but I've peeled it off by accident taking pants off/pulling them up!!! so annoying!! i have used my thighs too but find it more awkward.

I want to lose 10 lb and particularly in that area (love handle/stomach) and am a little worried if i'll have issues using that area then! I was first using the quick-set infusion set with the round blue insertion device and it was hitting muscle in my abdomen. switched to the Mio and I love it, haven't had a problem since the switch :)

T1 for 23 years, pumping for 2.