Sore...

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
I started my 3rd week of crossfit on Tuesday. Squat day. I've done squats but never *kitten* to the grass. LOL. My legs are sore but would like to go to crossfit tonight. Should I hold off because I'm sore, or go and do the best I can? I have only been going on Tuesdays and Saturdays because of soreness, but really would like to go 3 times a week.

Replies

• tibsons_girl
    tibsons_girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think its really personal preference. You don't usually work the same muscles every day, so muscle soreness shouldn't be a problem in performing the wod. I go 4 times a week and i am usually sore, but i just make sure to warm up properly and do some extra stretches for whatever muscles are especially sore and i'm good to go.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'd look at the level of soreness. If it is something you think some movement/exercise would work it out - go.

However, if you're sore to the point where you can't keep good form, rest or walk instead.

I think I read this on one Crossfit blog, but rest days are encouraged and is when you actually build your strength.

I made the mistake early on by going to a WOD the next day when I was sore as heck. Even with warmup, I couldn't do the movements with weights with good form, and it turned out that it would have been better that I took a day of rest.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i would go... sometimes some movement is what you need to loosen up a bit and get a healing bloodflow to the area, and if the warmup is simply painful or the WOD is all lower body stuff you can at least use your time there to do some rolling and stretching to get that lactic acid moving around. ask your coaches for modifications too if you need to! the soreness goes away- mostly :)
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Are you sore, or are you OMG CAN'T MOVE sore (or injured sore)? If it's the first, go ahead and go. It'll loosen everything up for you. If it's the second, stay home! If it's somewhere in the middle, go with your gut! Good luck! :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My default is to go. If something actually hurts if I do a specific movement, I wait for an extra day for it to heal up.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I was told I should go at least three days per week with no more than two off in a row and that's what I've been doing. I actually just went up to four. The soreness will diminish. I would just go and ask for modifications if you need them. We have people at my box who do different things if they are having major problems.

I too am having trouble with ATG squats after years of parallel squatting--working on my mobility. With you there!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    After worrying about it all day, work blew up and I couldn't go anyways. bah. I'm off today but no classes offered today.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find that working out when you're sore feels amazing.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    After worrying about it all day, work blew up and I couldn't go anyways. bah. I'm off today but no classes offered today.

So go do yesterday's WOD on your own.