The tallest midget...

Options
I have been doing crossfit for a little over 6 months- I love it! I will admit that I "drink most of the kool-aid" with crossfit: I eat "mostly" paleo (paleo plus cheating with added dairy on occassion), bought my own RX jump rope, drink a protien shake every morning (Wal-Mart Brand) and take my daily Lurong pill (not for E-D).
Also, I workout at my local YMCA (I get a free membership) usually early in the morning. At the YMCA, there is a 3 day a week sunrise bootcamp where we mostly do body weight excercises, light weights, and cardio. It is enjoyable, but the workouts are no where near the intensity of even a slow day at crossfit.

At the YMCA, I am one of the most fit people at the workout. Or, I call myself the tallest midget.
At crossfit, I am average in my workouts. I can't lift RX, but in the WODS I can hold my own on any cardio or endurance type WODs.

It is a weird juxtaposition- feeling fit at one workout (YMCA) and then trying to not feel emasculated at a different workout (crossfit) later that day.

Do any of you notice how you can go from feeling FIT (compared to other people you know or hang out with) to feeling FAT ? (as compared to the crossfitters at the Box) Your thoughts?

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I never feel fit, so...

I'm just getting to where I'm not dead last at everything in the past month or two. I haven't tried a "regular" exercise class in a very long time, though!
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I have been doing crossfit for a little over 6 months- I love it! I will admit that I "drink most of the kool-aid" with crossfit: I eat "mostly" paleo (paleo plus cheating with added dairy on occassion), bought my own RX jump rope, drink a protien shake every morning (Wal-Mart Brand) and take my daily Lurong pill (not for E-D).
    Also, I workout at my local YMCA (I get a free membership) usually early in the morning. At the YMCA, there is a 3 day a week sunrise bootcamp where we mostly do body weight excercises, light weights, and cardio. It is enjoyable, but the workouts are no where near the intensity of even a slow day at crossfit.

At the YMCA, I am one of the most fit people at the workout. Or, I call myself the tallest midget.
    At crossfit, I am average in my workouts. I can't lift RX, but in the WODS I can hold my own on any cardio or endurance type WODs.

It is a weird juxtaposition- feeling fit at one workout (YMCA) and then trying to not feel emasculated at a different workout (crossfit) later that day.

Do any of you notice how you can go from feeling FIT (compared to other people you know or hang out with) to feeling FAT ? (as compared to the crossfitters at the Box) Your thoughts?

Burpees has that effect on me.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I know I had to quickly turn off my "how much can you lift" switch when I started CF because almost everyone could outlift me.

Still mainly true in the Olympic lifts but for squats/deadlifts the increased core/trunk strength CF gives has started pushing me up to the top of the box in terms of 1RM.