Running Stores

Options
Can anyone recommend a store to get fitted for running shoes in the Twin Cites area or North Central Minnesota? Possibly somewhere that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shoes... I've just been buying whatever is on sale at Kohls or Penny's and my feet hurt! My current shoes are Asics, that I've been wearing for about a month. They are comfortable and I have no issues while wearing them. They are actually my third pair of this shoe. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'd like to suggest Gear Running Store.

http://www.gearrunningstore.com/

Very helpful with a good amount of running shoes to choose from. They have a really friendly running community too, often having group runs that start/end at the store and then enjoy a beer afterward. =)
  • reneekise
    reneekise Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I bought my Brooks at the Endurance Shop in St. Cloud. They are really friendly and helpful.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's only a couple hours away!
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's only a couple hours away!
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I like the Running Room. Not sure how close that is to you. They got me in to shoes and didn't care what the price were on them. And they have worked out very well for me.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I like Marathon Sports on 50th and Penn in South Minneapolis. They also offer a 20% discount on your shoes if you sign up for their mailing list (I get 1-2 emails a month, max, and you can unsubscribe).

Gear Running is also great.
  • hironsd
    hironsd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I shop at Start Line in Minnetonka. It is a small, local business. They do store runs (usually catered, usually with vendors present so you can try some goods). Their staff is great, very knowledgeable and are willing to spend the time with you to make sure you get the shoes that are best for you.

Wherever you end up, good luck!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get to Duluth? There are a few choices here.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    There is a small place in a shop near but not in miller hill mall. Same poeople that used to do Richard N's. Sorry do not remember name but they have most of the good brands for running and walking. Opened last year I think
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Mill City Running at 411 Hennepin Ave East or millcityrunning.com
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I shop at Start Line in Minnetonka. It is a small, local business. They do store runs (usually catered, usually with vendors present so you can try some goods). Their staff is great, very knowledgeable and are willing to spend the time with you to make sure you get the shoes that are best for you.

Wherever you end up, good luck!

I agree - I had a fantastic experience at Start Line in Minnetonka. Their staff did gait analysis to determine how I walk and the way my foot hits the ground to determine the best shoe for me. Pair that with the fact that they have a LOT of marathoners & triathletes shopping there...the staff is very knowledgeable! I trained for and walked the Breast Cancer 3 Day in 2008...and put a LOT of mileage on those shoes... while I wasn't actively working out (like I am now), I wore those same shoes 2008 through 2011 - they were worth the $120! Good luck!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    There is a small place in a shop near but not in miller hill mall. Same poeople that used to do Richard N's. Sorry do not remember name but they have most of the good brands for running and walking. Opened last year I think

I've been buying mine from Tortoise & Hare in West Duluth. They have the sensor you stand on & walk over to see your stride, how you stand, etc. I went on a blind date once that didn't work out (nice guy but no sparks) and he told me to go there because of my plantars fasciitis. They fitted me for my first pair of Brooks. Haven't had problems with my feet since.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I like Run 'N Fun in Burnsville. They size/fit me plus I get a discount for having a gym membership!
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There's a Running Room in Uptown in Minneapolis. The address is 2801 Hennepin Ave, so pretty close to Lake St.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I tend to figure out my size and buy everything on the internet (ebay/amazon). Usually I go through so many pairs each year that I really look for discounts with last years model. Is that bad?
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Those chain stores are a bad place to go. I still maintain that the internet can help you find the best shoes.