Ok, you're a runner. Get over it.

Options

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    That guy is such a hack writer that he doesn't even deserve the running public's ire.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    See D!ck b!tch about runners. B!tch, D!ck, b!tch!

Now off to bed to get some rest before my one-woman parade tomorrow AM... you think we'd be smarter than to run at 4:30 AM so that we could maximize the attention we're apparently so desperate for, but I apparently specialize in parades for the newspaper delivery guys.

Thanks for the laugh, Doug!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Poor little guy got his panties in a bunch...which can be uncomfortable when....... running! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    What an asshat.

My thoughts exactly.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Everywhere I go, I see businesspeople! What's with this infatuation with locking yourself away in a tiny room for 8-12 hours every day and the near-mandatory ritual of wearing suits and carrying briefcases? That sort of apparel and accessories must serve no other purpose but showing off. I get it, you have a job. And some of these businesspeople actually purchase leather bags for computers and papers at luggage stores, and even worse, suits and shirts from tailors. Can you believe such stores actually exist, when you could easily buy dress slacks and a Jansport at Target? I thought I was imagining the proliferation of all these employees, but in fact, last month the economy added 204,000 jobs. Buy Big Box!
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    I thought the whole article was hilarious. And he does make a good point "Why would someone want to get up at 5 a.m. and run 10 miles adorned with fluorescent tape to avoid being struck by someone who has the good sense to use a car for a 10-mile journey?" Why? I am terrified of being run over. I don't know why I do it either!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the WSJ should stick to stock quotes..

This really isn't surprising coming from that paper..they seem to be pretty bitter folks, generally speaking. :o)
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Confession: When I clicked on this link, I actually anticipated agreeing with the article to some extent. But I am glad to say that I was WRONNNGGGGG.

The fact that this guy seems to think that someon's run is somehow intended to prove something to HIM demonstrates the extreme level of ego-centricity that he accuses runners of having. And also a crippling inferiority complex.

I think this guy should try getting a hobby other than belittling others'.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I keep reading the original article because I keep thinking it has to be humorous. Like the line about florescent tape...

But he seems the type of guy who thinks that "I run when chased" is the height of humor.

And it's really hard to poke fun of a group you aren't a part of...especially when you're calling them vain and lazy.

So, I've settled for hating it. And LOVING Remy's response.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I was that guy pretty much till I was 60 BP sky high weight 367 pounds probably going to die if I didnt change my ways. Now I run alone or in groups with a club on a track with other runners.
    Most of the time when the weather is ok with ratty shorts and old tee shirts or $10 sweats from a discount store.
    I have been mocked laughed at and teased when I was alot heavier for running and at 65 now after years of improving my fitness levels people still ask " BUT WHY RUN? " and I just smile and say because I can run now and I love that.
    Generally people that laughed and teased were sedentary and proud of it like some badge of affluence I can do nothing because I can afford to do nothing. They can afford the medical bills I guess.
    So we should cut these guys some slack on their opinions they really don't have a clue
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    What a moron.

I don't understand something, this makes me angry!

I'm also loving Remy's translation.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Ah-right. Why do you get up at 5 AM every day, when it is cold, and go run 5-10 miles, when it is not getting you anywhere because you are just going to have to get up and do it all over again -- and keep doing it?
    Worse, you think this panting and side stitches and exhaustion is enjoyable.
    Jeez. Somebody 'splain to me how this is supposed to look normal to somebody on the outside looking in?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    He's perfectly free to be baffled about what I do. I'm baffled by what I do. I just try not to think about it much.

However, drawing the conclusion that I'm vain and lazy because of what I do....

He really needs to ask first.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    An ideal run for me is one where I don't have any human interaction - if this author concludes that we all just run because we are narcissists that are crying "look at me!" inside, he has a complete misunderstanding of a runner's mentality. As far as enjoying running gear, the love of workout gear is pretty common to everyone that works out in general, not just runners.

I have a feeling that he just wanted to start a sh*tstorm to generate attention for himself - mission accomplished, DB!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Now off to bed to get some rest before my one-woman parade tomorrow AM... you think we'd be smarter than to run at 4:30 AM so that we could maximize the attention we're apparently so desperate for, but I apparently specialize in parades for the newspaper delivery guys.

Me too! Except this morning, it was the food service delivery guy to a local restaurant :-).

As for the article, I actually found it more 'tongue in cheek' and kinda funny. I'm a vegan runner with a rescue dog. So, apparently, I'm supposed to talk about all three topics incessantly to the great annoyance of all of my friends and acquaintances. I think the 0.0 sticker is funny (I wish I'd come up with that!) and I'll admit, I was very tempted to hang a "Baby Not on Board" sign in my car in the 90's. While I'm proud of my accomplishments, I'm also the first to make fun of myself. :-)
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've been training for months for my first marathon (which will be in January), so YES I am going to put a 26.2 sticker on my car after I run it. I worked my *kitten* off (literally) for it.

If someone has a problem with it, they can deal with it.

And as an ecard I once came across said "I'm sorry if talking about my workouts makes you feel lazy"
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I thinks it's funny that people hate on the "13.1 or 26.2" stickers so much! You never hear anyone complain about the MLB or NFL stickers on people's car windows. Or deer antlers, alumni stickers, or those family stickers!! I have a 13.1 sticker on my car because it is an accomplishment I worked harder for than most things in life! And you can bet your *kitten* I will have my 26.2 when I earn it!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Poor, sad man. He needs to find and embrace his inner runner.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    He's saying it's annoying how people have made running trendy and it's part of the "look at me look at me" overtone running rampant on social media. I would agree, but it is not true for every runner. And this could be said about a number of other hobbies and all the trendy knick knacks that are made for them. I don't really let any one hobby of mine define me, and I don't see what's wrong about being proud about running a marathon, or 5k, or what have you. But the whole aspect of the trendiness of it can be annoying if you're really paying attention to it. I like how in the second article the author got all butt hurt over it. Come on... I'm not offended. Whatever. He's entitled to express his opinion. And I would like a 0.0 bumper sticker too hahaha.