Passing on words

Options
KariD1114
KariD1114 Posts: 1,204 Member
Let me begin by saying this is directed at no one - just words my doc said to me so I'm passing onto this group. I'm also not saying this as new information. :smile:

When I was in for my annual physical she asked if I was staying away from the gluten (told her yes). She said "you HAVE to be 100% gluten free...not a little bit, not most of the time, but 100% all the time otherwise you are not gluten free and you will not seen any benefit from it."

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have to say that on a regular basis - I'm 100% gluten free all the time and people dont understand how even a small amount of gluten can do so much damage.
  • CndnJo
    CndnJo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is very true that even a little gluten can mess you up. I kept getting a gluten reaction and couldn't figure out why - I was being very careful. at the beginning of October I realized that if I didn't work in the barn I didn't get the reaction. I was getting a gluten reaction from feeding our cows. Of course their feed has barley and probably wheat in it. I guess I was inhaling the feed and some of it was ending up in my digestive system. I have also gotten a reaction from baking with regular flour for other members of the family who aren't GF.

I know it sounds kind of paranoid (and I can see some family members rolling their eyes at me) but don't eat gluten, don't eat something that has been in contact with gluten and be careful handling it if you have celiac or are gluten intolerant.

On the bright side - I feel so much better since I realized I was getting sick from handling the feed. I am much more careful now and I haven't had a gluten reaction for 1 1/2 months. I was previously getting a reaction 2 or 3 times/week - therefore I never felt well since it takes me a few days to get over it.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I lost inches in my stomach and legs and I've never been 100% Gluten free so I wouldn't say that you don't see any benefits. I'm probably around 95% Gluten Free.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I lost inches in my stomach and legs and I've never been 100% Gluten free so I wouldn't say that you don't see any benefits. I'm probably around 95% Gluten Free.

If you are celiac or gluten intolerant it isn't about losing weight and 95% doesn't cut it. Doing gluten free for weight loss is pointless.
  • treefrogkate
    treefrogkate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So true. I can't understand how anyone with an intolerance or Celiac can stand being anything other than 100% gluten free - it's way too painful for me to even consider!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options

If you are celiac or gluten intolerant it isn't about losing weight and 95% doesn't cut it. Doing gluten free for weight loss is pointless.

I agree. If you have any sort of medical reason for not eating gluten 95% will not cut it. Many people can have silent coeliac and even though they seem symptom free there is still lots of damage going on. I dread to think how much just 5% gluten diet would increase your chances of getting bowel cancer and here are so many other complications

For most of us its not an option and certainly not done to lose weight or inches - I've been gluten free for over 20 years and still managed to get morbidly obese.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I never said that I was doing it for weight lost. I just mentioned that I've lost inches. I have a Gluten Intolerance and my symptoms vary when I eat something with Gluten. Why are you all so defensive? Just because I haven't cut it out completely is no reason for an attack on me. If I want to get cancer in the *kitten*, let me do that. Friendly advice is always welcome. The rest I can do without.

I've also read conflicting reports on whether people with an intolerance actually have gut damage. Webmd website says there's no evidence of this.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I never said that I was doing it for weight lost. I just mentioned that I've lost inches. I have a Gluten Intolerance and my symptoms vary when I eat something with Gluten. Why are you all so defensive? Just because I haven't cut it out completely is no reason for an attack on me. If I want to get cancer in the *kitten*, let me do that. Friendly advice is always welcome. The rest I can do without.

I've also read conflicting reports on whether people with an intolerance actually have gut damage. Webmd website says there's no evidence of this.

There are two reason why we are so defensive;

1) Those with coeliac it does cause damage to the gut - that is what coeliacs is.

2) Just think what happens when restaurants and cafes thinks its ok to be 95% gluten free too. So many times I've been served food that has been cooked with food containing gluten - or they have scraped the croutons of the salad etc. Its hard to get the message across that it has to be 100% when others are stating that its ok to be 95%.

Also there are many newbies on here who are struggling with the idea of a lifetime of no having their favourite cakes etc and they come across your post and think that it might be ok to cheat a bit.

I don't think many of us are so concerned that you chooses to eat gluten but your message that it maybe ok to do so. You are lucky in the sense that it is an intolerance and there is no long term damage but did you know for anyone with coeliacs the minimum time for the gut to start healing after 1/16th of a slice of bread is six weeks. There is no 95% with us and we have to get this message across.
  • treefrogkate
    treefrogkate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So many times I've been served food that has been cooked with food containing gluten - or they have scraped the croutons of the salad etc. Its hard to get the message across that it has to be 100% when others are stating that its ok to be 95%.

OMG, So. Many. Times.