Medication you're on?

Options
Hello Everybody :bigsmile:

I think it would be interesting to share here which medication are you, fibromites and company, taking at the moment and if they're doing any good effect on you. Please do tell also former medicines that you've been taken but didn't work and the reasons.
I know it may sound weird my request but you can't imagine on how this information is important for everybody here, even though i am well aware that we all react to medicine differently.

I already posted about this subject on my blog nevertheless I will share it here again.

So here's a list so far of my Fibromyalgia and bone problems treatments and medication::drinker:

:cry: For Pains:
1 - i'm taking Zaldiar ( tramadol+ paracetamol) 2 every six hours- it doesn't work that much to be honest no matter how many I take. I've tried before just Tramadol, it was even worse it had no effect at all!!! so I only take painkillers in last resort.

:yawn: To Sleep:
1 - Valerian root pills 500mg.
This works for me in one way, I explain, I take these during the day to help me to calm down and at night to help me to sleep but I don't take them every day.
Prescription : 1 at breakfast; 1 at lunch; 2 before sleep.
However I suffer from insomnia since I was very young and the pains during the night are terrible especially the sensation of burning in my legs. In short, they do help to calm down and relax the muscles as well, I do recommend.

2 - Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) is a muscle relaxant but I only take it when my muscles are really stiff and I have to take them during a whole week to make some kind of effect. I take one 1 hour before sleep, it's supposed to help me but it hardly does anything to me.

:mad: Anxiety / Stress:
1 - Victan (Ethyl loflazepate) I take 2/day to fight anxiety and palpitations/tremors. This one really works for me :bigsmile: .
I am very sensitive to noise and the only way I can cope with all this is by taking one in the morning, select some music in my mobile and turn Runkeeper app and go out for a walk. In bad days I take another one in afternoon.
2 - Xanax 0,5mg (Alprazolam) when I can't control my stress levels and feel like killing someone. I have been taking this one for ages now!! Most of the times they are need 2 pills to control myself and even so ....

:frown: Anti-inflammatory:
1 - Nimesulide - I take this one for my tendinites and for my spine problems; I have problems in my backbone and left joint hip.
I have uneven hips and a small cyst in the left hip that is shortest ( 1cm shorter).
I suffer from spinal bone and left hip decalcification and other spine issues. My lower back pains are absolutely terrible and the damage in my arms and spine are so big that I am forbidden to carry bags or make any kind of efforts.
This medicine is really good and it helps me with pain also.

:sad: Migraines:
These really kill me! When they come there is not much I can do about it but wear earplugs for the noise and close myself in a dark room to avoid light. I also suffer from them since early age and hot weather and cold win aren't good for me.
I take Migraleve - is the brand name of a range of migraine-relief medications made by Pfizer.

:huh: Vitamins:
1 - Becozyme (complex of vitamin B and C) for fatigue and fibro fog.
2 - Magnesium for muscles and bones.
3 - Vitamin D & Calcium - I have very low levels of both so It's a must to take them altogether.
4- Glucosamine & Omega 3 - for joints and for FM

:glasses: Food:
I have already a list of no- allowed food in my diet - long list and took me months to find out which foods worsened the pain - gluten, cheeses, diary products, bread, potatoes, cabbages, pasta, rice, some beans and fruits, onions, honey and so on.

Flaxseed, wholegrain - some variety- food, fruit, broccoli, fish, fresh cheese(white), cocoa powder gluten free, soya products etc, are really good.
BUT I must say that I am still studying the food that is best for me.

Besides all this I exercise indoors - joints exercises and muscles strengthening, free dance, I do walk as much as I can, meditation and i will try Tai-Chi in the near future.

:huh: :wink: For now that's all I can remember... and I do have problems with recent memory.

Replies

• mumnpets
    mumnpets Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my list of medications for fibro are:
    For Pain:sad: :Co-codamol which only helps a little and Gabapentin wich also helps neither take the pain away completely. I did take Tramadol in the past and it was very good for the pain but i was very alergic to it and had to stop taking it.
    For sleep:yawn: :Nortriptaline only just started taking these,10mg at night.
    Just started to take the muscle relaxant Baclofen as i have been going through a bad patch with muscle spasms in my shoulders and neck which have caused headaches and pins and needles in my face.:grumble:
    I also have problems with pain in my lower back and have cortisone injections to ease this.
    I find that walking is the best exersice for me and try to walk 30mins or more every other day , im just looking into trying Tai-Chi .
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Right now only otc 4 tylenol 500 mgs and 4 ibuprofins 200 at night time. I used to be on a medicine that helped with the shingles but not for some time now.....Im afraid to go to the docs because not alot of them believe in chronic lyme disease I know some days I do need a stronger med but as long as I stay active im ok with the pain
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    oh yea and melatonin to help me sleep
  • ShellDP
    ShellDP Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Savella – For fibro, in the morning and at night. However, I try to take the night time dose no later than 6:00pm because it keeps me up at night if I take it too late.

Vitamin D – was taking 50,000 once a week (prescription), now 5,000 iu a day for maintenance.

Salt supplements – for low adrenal function and very low blood pressure. I’ve started cooking with salt and adding extra to my food. (I really don’t like the taste. Yuck!) But…. believe it or not, it has helped a bit with my energy levels. I also don’t have quite as many digestive issues since I started using it, especially with gluten, but I still need to keep gluten to a minimum.

Desiccated adrenal – for hypo-adrenia.

As far as food, I think my problems are similar to most people with fibromyalgia. Limiting sugar seems to help with pain and inflammation, so does watching not to eat much gluten.

Staying warm is a huge factor in keeping pain at bay too!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Not medication, but I find that ThermaCare Heat Wraps really help to make me more comfortable.
  • Charalena1982
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've not really been on any medication for about 4 years as nothing worked. But now my doctor has put me on a drug called Lyrica. Lyrica is usually used for people with epilepsy but is also widely used for chronic nerve pain. I was wondering if anyone has had this drug and if so what was your experience?

Charlie
  • hddeuce1966
    Options
    Please note that I have three ruptured discs in my lower back and bone spurs in my neck. I also have problems with my right hip and ankle, and bone spurs on both feet in addition to bunions. My medications are not solely for FM.
    So, here we go, I take...
    1. LYRICA works well, but makes me sleepy so I take it only at night.
    2. CYMBALTA. helps with pain, and also the depression that comes with chronic pain.
    3. PIROXICAM is an NSAID works fairly good. It's the first one I've found that I'm not allergic.
    4. ZANAFLEX. a muscle relaxer that I can't even tell that I take.
    5. NEURONTIN. I only take during the day.
    6. OXYCONTIN. It keeps me awake at night.
    7. PERCOCET very helpful, but few doctors will prescribe.
    8. TRAZODONE for sleep at night. Worked well when I started taking it, but is not nearly as effective now. That was in 2006.

Meds I have taken in the past are...
    9. FLEXORIL. A muscle relaxer I'm not sure that I spelled that right, but it doesn't matter because I couldn't tell I was taking it.
    10. SOMA. another muscle relaxer. Didn't work very well, but sure made me feel groggy the next day.
    11. BACLOFEN. Yet another muscle relaxer, but the best one I have taken, except that it made me very sleepy during the day.
    12. VIOXX, ARTHROTEC, and many other NSAIDS. not much luck with them. Rash, hives...
    13. MORPHINE. SULPHATE CR. made me very sleepy during the day. Doesn't work as well as OxyContin
    14. LORITABS didn't do much besides make me itch.

That's all I can ink of right now. If I think of more, I will edit.
  • Darklady5
    Options
    Hi everyone, my list of medications for fibro are:
    For Pain:sad: :Co-codamol which only helps a little and Gabapentin wich also helps neither take the pain away completely. I did take Tramadol in the past and it was very good for the pain but i was very alergic to it and had to stop taking it.
    For sleep:yawn: :Nortriptaline only just started taking these,10mg at night.
    Just started to take the muscle relaxant Baclofen as i have been going through a bad patch with muscle spasms in my shoulders and neck which have caused headaches and pins and needles in my face.:grumble:
    I also have problems with pain in my lower back and have cortisone injections to ease this.
    I find that walking is the best exersice for me and try to walk 30mins or more every other day , im just looking into trying Tai-Chi .

Tramadol hardly do anything to me so I only take when i really can't bear my pains any more :sad:
    I also suffer from lower back pain bit it's due to it's decalcification but I take anti-inflammatory ant it eases the pain a little bit.
    Have you tried to take magnesium for the spasms? Valerian root is also good as a muscle relaxant, at least for me.
    I have been having excruciating pains in my joints and muscles, joints were always cracking but since I started my treatment with magnesium and glucosamine i feel bit better already.
  • Darklady5
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've not really been on any medication for about 4 years as nothing worked. But now my doctor has put me on a drug called Lyrica. Lyrica is usually used for people with epilepsy but is also widely used for chronic nerve pain. I was wondering if anyone has had this drug and if so what was your experience?

Charlie

I know a few people who took Lyrica and the side effects are not good. Most of them put on weight which is not good for us, and they said the drug did nothing to them concerning pains so they stop taking it. I have only meet 1 person that felt good with it . Personally no doctor forces me to go on Lyrica!
    I prefer taking vitamins and supplements for pain, exercise, tai-chi and a healthy diet... minimize drugs to the minimum
  • Darklady5
    Options
    Please note that I have three ruptured discs in my lower back and bone spurs in my neck. I also have problems with my right hip and ankle, and bone spurs on both feet in addition to bunions. My medications are not solely for FM.
    2. CYMBALTA. helps with pain, and also the depression that comes with chronic pain.
    3. PIROXICAM is an NSAID works fairly good. It's the first one I've found that I'm not allergic.
    8. TRAZODONE for sleep at night. Worked well when I started taking it, but is not nearly as effective now. That was in 2006.

9. FLEXORIL. A muscle relaxer I'm not sure that I spelled that right, but it doesn't matter because I couldn't tell I was taking it.
    10. SOMA. another muscle relaxer. Didn't work very well, but sure made me feel groggy the next day.
    11. BACLOFEN. Yet another muscle relaxer, but the best one I have taken, except that it made me very sleepy during the day.
    12. VIOXX, ARTHROTEC, and many other NSAIDS. not much luck with them. Rash, hives...
    13. MORPHINE. SULPHATE CR. made me very sleepy during the day. Doesn't work as well as OxyContin

:cry: wow that's a lot of medication you're taking!!! I know it's not easy when we have bone problems along with Fibromyalgia. In my personal experience when a medicine doesn't make any effect I prefer not taking it.
    I don't know if you ever tried but have you consider to see a non-conventional doctor? chiropractor and homeopath? some people prefer their treatments and most of the times are more effective.
    I just wish you all the best and that you can find a way to reduce your problems a little bit :smile:
  • hddeuce1966
    Options

:cry: wow that's a lot of medication you're taking!!! I know it's not easy when we have bone problems along with Fibromyalgia. In my personal experience when a medicine doesn't make any effect I prefer not taking it.
    I don't know if you ever tried but have you consider to see a non-conventional doctor? chiropractor and homeopath? some people prefer their treatments and most of the times are more effective.
    I just wish you all the best and that you can find a way to reduce your problems a little bit :smile:
    I know. I have been seeing a pain management dr. for about 5 years. He keeps telling me that I'm not on that much pain medicine compared to most people. Much of it is for my back pain. I've been trying to cut down without much success.
  • Charalena1982
    Options
    Hi everyone

Charlie

I know a few people who took Lyrica and the side effects are not good. Most of them put on weight which is not good for us, and they said the drug did nothing to them concerning pains so they stop taking it. I have only meet 1 person that felt good with it . Personally no doctor forces me to go on Lyrica!
    I prefer taking vitamins and supplements for pain, exercise, tai-chi and a healthy diet... minimize drugs to the minimum

I have a really good relationship with my doctor. I told him that if the Lyrica was doing anything like weight gain or any other unwanted symptoms that I was going to stop and he is quite happy with that. Just of late my pain has been getting worse and i wanted something done. This was his suggestion until I could see my surgeon again...

charlie
  • wac021
    wac021 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was on Lyrica but it messed with my weight so much I weened myself off of it. Right now for Fibro I take Flexeril at night to help with sleep and Cymbalta. I also take a heart medication and bcp.
  • sparksgirl1
    sparksgirl1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am new here but I have both Fibro and RA. I take an injection of Orencia 1x wk for my RA, Lyrica 100mg 2x day, Elavil 50mg(Amotryptaline) at bedtime. I joined myfitnesspal because I need to monitor my weight. I have been on Lyrica for 2 months because of severe nerve pain in my back and hips. It was so bad I could hardly move without great discomfort. The Lyrica has really helped but the downside is my weight is going up. I am going to really monitor my eating by using this site and see if I can lose weight. The thought of having to go off a medication that has really helped makes me scared. I have diazepam 2mg tabs that I can use if needed for muscle relaxant and Ambien if necessary.

I am textbook Fibro, migraines, inability to sleep, exhaustion and severe nerve pain. Before I was diagnosed I thought I was losing my mind. Why did I have all this pain? If it isn't RA then what is it? I could not even stand having anyone touch me. I am thankful for every day that I get relief but I cannot risk my heart or becoming diabetic because of the weight.
  • ellenk1492
    ellenk1492 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My life has been radically changed for the better by getting off all medications and instead using one off-label drug, called Low Dose Naltrexone, or LDN. If you are interested, there is a Facebook page called Got Endorphins that has more information. I was on amitriptyline for 2 years, but developed severe photosensitivity. I was on gabapentin for a year but it gave me terrible neuropathy, which is why I was taking it in the first place! Between LDN, nutrition and eliminating some of the bad foods that have been mentioned here like wheat and sugar, and gentle daily exercise and fresh air, I'm so, so much better. I am starting back at work and I'm playing in a band again and just feel so much better. I would encourage you to check out LDN. Note however that you cannot take it if you are on any opioid painkillers. Best of luck to everyone.
  • ellenk1492
    ellenk1492 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also, I forgot to mention that there is a private Facebook page called "Low Dose Naltrexone for Fibromyalgia and CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome)"
  • Tuhlmann1993
    Tuhlmann1993 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with chronic pain 8 months ago and they have put my on
    3x 75mg lyrica
    2x 20 mg elavil
  • jennabun101
    jennabun101 Posts: 54 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cymbalta works wonders for me. I don't think I even realized how widespread the pain and sensitivity was, until it was gone... or nearly gone. It also takes the edge off my anxiety. It does make me tired though. I sort of have to "bank" my sleep I guess. I'm good for 3-4 weeks, then I need to sleep for 12-14 hours for 2 days in a row, then I'm good again. It decreased my appetite as well. I also have RLS, IBS, and bad, bad arthritis in my feet, so I also take 1 ibuprofen and 1 tylenol arthritis twice a day. I take a handful of other stuff too... iron, vitamin D, fish oil, biotin, potassium, magnesium, and a probiotic.. I think that's it.
  • scarlettsky7
    scarlettsky7 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I’m taking juice Plus it has helped me so much. Message me if you want more info ❤️❤️
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have not started meds yet. I'm trying an anti-inflammatory diet and it has helped a lot initially. It's hard to maintain. If I don't cook there's nothing to eat!

I had an especially bad pain day on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend after a whole bad day of eating at a pool party to day before. My skin hurt so bad it was sensitive to light touch (no sunburn). I had my hubby rub capsaicin all over my back. It took a little while for the burning sensation to go away (40 minutes), but after that I had several hours of pain free activity.