lifting buddy in TX-lewisville, Flower Mound...

Options
I would love to find a female lifting buddy in the above areas, as well as Coppell, Carrolton, Denton, Corinth, Highland Village, Irving...I have 24hr fitness membership, but I just cannot get myself to start lifting by myself at the gym, though I have been lifting a little at home. If you live in the aforementioned areas, we may be able to figure out a way to buddy up and lift

Replies

• CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ànyone??
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I'm an Aussie, living in Australia. It's a bit out of my way :wink:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    UK here..
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm in Houston. A little closer than these other ladies, but still not close enough to help you out. :smile:

ETA: Don't let not having a buddy stop you from giving lifting a try. Believe me, I know EXACTLY how you feel! I was very intimidated and feeling self-conscious about going to the gym. If you can afford at least one session with a trainer, I recommend doing it. At least see if someone on staff at your gym can help familiarize you with the weight area. I really, really wanted to lift and had been putting off for at least a year, because I was "afraid" to go into the man-cave. Now, after only a few weeks, I'm doing what I've wanted to do and loving it. I actually forget I'm in the man-cave most of the time and I'm sorry I didn't start sooner. So, don't let those scary bros keep you from doing what you want to do. Give it a try. You won't be sorry.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    this is truth ^^^

also, at my current gym I have -never- seen another girl working out there, the occasional one having a PT sesh or in a class, but I'm the only one and I don't give a frick!
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm close too, just a little south of Houston. We have our own little virtual Texas ladies lifting group now, isn't 3 members enough? :laugh:

I just got my weight set together yesterday and will spend the rest of this week working out proper form and watching more videos, but I plan to start officially on Sunday. I'm really excited to get into lifting, did some way back in high school, but have been too much of a cardio rat lately. Good luck, you can do it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm also in Houston and will be up in the Dallas area for the holiday, but up in Plano. Sorry. :smile:

But, I agree that you don't need to wait for a lifting partner. Hold yourself accountable as much as you can. Back before the check-in thread got too crowded for me, I'd post my workouts each time. The "shame" of not being able to share because I skipped a workout was a great incentive for me to get my but into the gym.
  • CactusF1ower
    Options
    Lol @ zanyzana. Thanks so much for all the encouragement everyone. Yay for the virtual Texas support group. I will venture into this on my own. I cant let it hold me back any more ...I've wasted so much time waiting. I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!
  • rlw911
    Options
    Go get 'em, Cactus! You can do this!!!

Feel free to friend me, if you'd like. Stay warm up there! :smile:
  • beautifulswan1
    beautifulswan1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm in Mesquite (suburb of Dallas). Wish I was a bit closer. You can do this though. I do it from home and it's totally doable. Love the Texas virtual support group. :)
  • CactusF1ower
    Options
    Wish you were closer beautifulswan. Today is d-day...I'm going to the gym alone for my first stronglifts workout...yikes!! I had been trying this at home with dumbbells and quickly realized that it's just not the same. Wish me luck!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    You will be fine! Walk in there like you own the place, and ignore everyone else! Once you've done it a few times your confidence will increase anyway :)
  • rlw911
    Options
    Good luck! You CAN do this. :happy:
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yay for women lifting heaving things in Texas! Good luck everyone and keep at it (and try to stay warm too)! :laugh:
  • unbridled1
    Options
    I was googling weight lifting gyms in Flower Mound and found this post. I moved here from Illinois and left an AWESOME Crossfit. Since I have moved here I have tried a few things and have mostly found nothing comparable.

I have a membership at LA Fitness, but the trainers there do not encourage Olympic style weightlifting. (don't encourage is said very lightly.)

Have you found anywhere to go near here?
  • CactusF1ower
    Options
    Hi. I used to have memberships at both 24hr fitness and la fitness. I cancelled my la fitness membership because my24hr fitness membership costs me approximately $50/yr....that was not a typo...per year. Are you lifting heavy, or going with what the trainers say? I say do it on your own if you have to. I started on the day of my last post and do it 3x/week and I'm yet to miss a workout. I'm really enjoying it. I'm no longer intimidated at the gym!
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You found me. I am in your area but belong to a different gym. Sent you a pm.