wrist pain

Options
AABru
AABru Posts: 610 Member
So last week when I was deadlifting, I felt a ping in my right wrist when I switched grip (I alternate so as to not build more strength in one or the other), and since then have had difficulty turning my hand over (think twisting your thumb from facing left to facing right---hahaha I just made you flip your wrist over). I have a stabbing pain that runs down the pinky side of my wrist almost to my elbow and I seem to have lost strength in that hand as well. I didn't lift this week (bc of scheduling, not bc of pain), and was planning on lifting tomorrow. I'm not sure if I should continue to favor the wrist by deloading until it feels better. Any ideas? I have done nothing with the wrist other than naproxen and massage.

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    that sounds like an injury... get it checked out before you carry on lifting, as you need to know from a doctor or physio if it's safe for you to keep lifting as it heals or if you need to rest it, and also whether it needs any treatment
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    that sounds like an injury... get it checked out before you carry on lifting, as you need to know from a doctor or physio if it's safe for you to keep lifting as it heals or if you need to rest it, and also whether it needs any treatment

Agreed 100%. You don't want to risk hurting yourself even more.
  • krazeedr
    krazeedr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You should definitely have a doc look at it. It could be something as simple as a pulled muscle or as big as a ripped tendon. I wouldn't recommend lifting at all if you feel like you've lost grip strength or have actually lost grip strength.

I have pain that runs along the pinky side of my forearm to my elbow but I know what that is - medial epicondylitis/golfer's elbow. I do some specific wrist curls to PT the area and I am cautious about any significant/specific bicep work. Rows might kill me until I build up some more consistent grip/forearm strength, lol

No pain, no gain is crap. Pain almost always equals injury. Pay attention to your body. It's the only one you'll get ;P
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have wrapped my wrist and iced it the last couple days, and it is feeling so much better...I have a past of tendonitis and know it can reoccur, and I'm trying to remember exactly where it hurt last time (It was 23 years ago).