more than 500 cals for nursing?

lj3jones
lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
I've been doing this for 5 days (mfp) and I'm already down 1.5 pounds. Is it possible that I would need more than 500 calories for nursing? my LO isn't so little, 14.5 weeks (just shy of 3.5 months) 18.5 lbs, and still gaining a little under half a pound per week (he was gaining 1+ pounds per week for the first 2 months). I'm exclusively BFing and don't want to hurt my supply (which is also why I waited until now to start to try to lose the rest of this baby weight). Anyone out there with big babies that found they needed more than 500 calories for bf-ing to keep weight loss at 1 pound per week.

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    I only pump so I know how much I make. At the most I was producing about 40 oz a day and was putting that in that way, so I was getting 800 calories. But I would say if your supply is good, you're not hungry then keep going with what you're doing. But if you are hungry eat more. I also have a big boy. He's about 25lbs now, almost a year.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    It is quite possible. The 500 cal is just a rule of thumb it depends on your baby appetite and your body efficiency of producing milk. Women who pump can actually measure and adjust based on the actual amount of milk. Women who EBF and have no idea exactly how much their baby eats, and just have to figure it out but trial and error. The 500 is a good starting point , but you may need to adjust it .
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    It is quite possible. The 500 cal is just a rule of thumb it depends on your baby appetite and your body efficiency of producing milk. Women who pump can actually measure and adjust based on the actual amount of milk. Women who EBF and have no idea exactly how much their baby eats, and just have to figure it out but trial and error. The 500 is a good starting point , but you may need to adjust it .

Yes, this^

Breastmilk is generally assumed to contain (and "cost" you) 20 calories per ounce. 500 calories = 25 oz. If you're like me and EBF, all you can do is make a best guess.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    It's definitely possible that your body uses more than 500 calories. Like others said, it's just a basic guideline.

You might have extra wiggle room with your calories, but you also may have just had a week where you lost more than usual, lost extra fluid, etc. If I were you, I'd watch the numbers over the next few weeks to get more info on how breastfeeding works with your body.

Yay for hungry babies :)