New to the Group

Options
Hi, I am Amanda and I am new to the group. I am a huge wine lover. It has become a habit to drink anywhere from 2 glasses to an entire bottle after I get my kids to bed at night. It is my form of relaxation and one thing I look forward to at the end of a long day taking care of a 2 year old and 4 year old. I have decided that if I want to wear a bikini this summer, I need to give it up and it stinks, but I know what I have to do.

My dad is an alcoholic and he has been in and out of rehab, so that is another reason for me to give it up. I would hate for it to get out of control like it did for him since it is in my genetics.

I would love to talk to others about your experiences with giving up wine and how it impacted your weight loss! I am also looking for some friends on here!

Replies

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new at this too and drink every night. But yesterday I went without alcohol for the first time in along time. I'm so proud of myself! I know it is only one day. I'm going to try to do without alcohol until Thanksgiving Day when I'll have to have some wine or it just won't be traditional.
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am new too. I drink wine every night, and it is an entrenched habit. I have four daughters ages 12 - 16 - one is mentally ill and extremely demanding - and wine is my treat to myself at night an up/down day with her. But I do abuse it - and am worried about how this is affecting my health. I wish I could have two glasses of wine a night and just be done with it but lately it has been more. I am not proud of this. My excuse is that I have been through a lot of emotional trauma with my daughter (in and out of psychiatric placements - and she is only 12) and family trauma (my brother died 2 years ago from cancer - dad just had a stroke), while raising the other kids. It's a lot of stress, which is why I chose my username. It is my goal. I have received counseling myself, and know what I need to do. One therapist thought I had PTSD but the other did not - in any event I am trying to explain that these have been extraordinary stressors. Public school and public psychiatric services have been useless - so it is all private pay.

Anyway - back to the wine habit - My goal is to reduce wine from my life and not eliminate it. However, I realize I need to replace it with something else. Replacement behavior. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I know this may sound dumb - but knitting? Keeps the hands busy at night, and is also therapeutic for the brain. Welcoming any other ideas.

Thanks
  • D_squareG
    Options
    I've had success using a flavored decaf coffee as a treat. I normally only drink coffee in the morning, black with no sugar. But I recently bought Baileys Mudslide coffee creamer (no alcohol) because it was on sale. It is delicious! I put that in a decaf coffee with a little sweetener and I feel like I'm really having a treat.

I've also used flavored teas, fruit infused water, hot chocolate. Anything that I don't normally have. Maybe a sugar free hot apple cider?
  • D_squareG
    Options
    I've had success using a flavored decaf coffee as a treat. I normally only drink coffee in the morning, black with no sugar. But I recently bought Baileys Mudslide coffee creamer (no alcohol) because it was on sale. It is delicious! I put that in a decaf coffee with a little sweetener and I feel like I'm really having a treat.

I've also used flavored teas, fruit infused water, hot chocolate. Anything that I don't normally have. Maybe a sugar free hot apple cider?
  • calmandpeaceful
    Options
    Good idea!! I will look into a flavored creamer for decaf coffee. (I love coffee). I also bought some knitting needles and a scarf pattern (super simple) to keep my mind and hands busy at night. I like the poster who said she was going to try to be alcohol free until Thanksgiving. I will try too. This is Day 1.
  • calmandpeaceful
    Options
    Oh - I see that was you! How is it going? Are you on Day 2?:smile:
  • D_squareG
    Options
    I made it to day 3. However, I portioned out my alcohol and logged it and stayed under my calorie limit! I'm doing much better at control. The scale is showing this. I'm tracking drinks in my food diary.
  • amharreii82
    Options
    I am going to have to try a replacement habit...that is a great idea! I sadly have not quit yet. I fell off the wagon here with the holidays. Not only with alcohol, but with food too! So much baking and win....and eating!

I am getting back on tomorrow though and am going to stick with it. I think I will log on daily for support.

Great to read all of the replies, stories and successes.