Help with calories please

So I have been having a calorie free for all since my second baby was born and so it is no wonder that I have only lost 17 of the 30lbs I gained with my pregnancy. My baby is now 5 months old and I have been exercising for a few months without seeing the scale budge. With my first baby I lost the 30lbs by the time he was 5 months old so I'm feeling pretty behind! I never watched what I ate after my first pregnancy and had no trouble losing the weight by just adding in some exercise...but not working this time!

So I read that you need about 1800 calories to keep your milk supply adequate- is this 1800 total food calories consumed (no matter how much you are exercising & breastfeeding) or do you have to eat the 500 cals from EBF and whatever cals you burn exercising in addition to the 1800? Maybe this is a stupid question? Thanks for your help :)

How many calories are you all eating and are you steadily losing weight?

Replies

• I am having the same problem! can someone walk me through how to set up the goals if you are exclusively breastfeeding? i am EBF, pumping while at work, nursing at home. baby is 4 months, she's nursing 5 times a day usually. So i am assumign i'm at the point of burning 500-600 calories a day. MFP sets my calories (trying to lose, not maintain...) at 1300 a day, so do i just manually change that to 1800? or do i add in breastfeeding as a custom exercise? given the number of women on here trying to do this too, they should have it in the database!
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    This is a question asked every week. Look through the threads on this board. There's lots relating to this.

And breastfeeding is in the food database.

Good luck!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Some people will add breastfeeding to their exercise section so that it automatically adjusts their macros too. I prefer not to do that because then it broadcasts it on my feed and I prefer to only use it for workouts, but just wanted to add that that's an option too!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    You can add it under food and it basically gives you extra calories.