You Turkey Lurkey! 11/19

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/healthy-thanksgiving/

Not that you have to agree with the article but hey she asked a good question. What are you planning to do for Thanksgiving? Making it healthy or just give up?
Or a better question not give up or do you plan to enjoy the day and regroup the next day?

What has worked in the past? What has not? Let's talk...because this is the ultimate CHALLENGE for sure for us all!

WW

PS planning now is a GOOOOOOD idea!

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Same traditional stuff for us! This year I think I will be eating a lot less since that seems to have been my pattern for all the eating out I've done since Sunday (I've eaten out four times since Sunday night and the only meal I finished in full was the GF tuna sandwich I got for lunch yesterday, everything else, I've only eaten about half and been finished).
    I'm not a big dessert person so usually either my Mom or I will make an apple crisp for me or I will make pots de creme (I have one, keep one for my Mom-my Dad eats the apple pie my Mom makes- and the rest of them go to my friend's family since the recipe makes 8 of them, so it's a nice small dessert)
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Last year, we reduced the size of the turkey, made way less of everything and more fresh veggies. Given the low carb we are now doing, that eleminates the stuffing, the rolls and the pie crust. The mashed potatoes will be very small serving and that's more for the taste, sweet potatoes with no sugar just spices and butter, we always have peas and I'll scope out paleo posts in Pinterest for pumpkin recipes. The only thing I truly love and make mostly for myself is homemade cranberry sauce. That takes real sugar since technically cranberry sauce is really jam - the sugar amount decides if it sets up hard or soupy. I make mine on the soupy side.

The foods of my childhood - the waldrof salad, the fruit salads with marshmallows, the jello salads, the marshmallows on the heavy syrup canned sweet potatos, the little smokies in the crescent rolls, that's all gone. I hated all the salads that were my Mom's favorites. Who wants nuts with chicken and mayonnase or celery and cranberries in jello or talk about wasting a bunch of fruit with the whip cream and the marshmallows? I hated all of those as a kid and she made huge bowls of it and then ate most of it herself. I do miss the little hot dogs with crescent rolls though. Maybe that might be a spurge.

My pumpkin pie recipe is from my great grandmother so I will see what I can do to adapt it to crustless. I never eat the crust anyways. I was a weird kid. Who knew that my childhood habit of eating raw veggies without anything was going to be so popular when I grew up? I never have liked cooked veg - I tend to tolerate it at best.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    My pumpkin pie recipe is from my great grandmother so I will see what I can do to adapt it to crustless. I never eat the crust anyways. I was a weird kid. Who knew that my childhood habit of eating raw veggies without anything was going to be so popular when I grew up? I never have liked cooked veg - I tend to tolerate it at best.
    If you want, I can send you my recipe for pumpkin pie cupcakes, it's crustless and since they're cupcakes, easy single serving sizes, so far they have been a hit everywhere I've made them (I now always make them gluten free since nobody can tell the difference.) PM me if you're interested so I know to pass it on (I don't always get to look back at the message boards before my scatter brain makes me forget that I wanted to check back to see if someone responded and since it's almost the holiday weekend, you might want it before then)
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    We dont have Thanksgiving, so Im out of temptations way lol