Sore hips from squatting so much!

Options
wendypow
wendypow Posts: 81 Member
Ok so my hips are sore pretty much all. the. time. since starting SL in October. Before that I was squatting 2-3x per month, so understandably going to 3x per week is going to do something. Anyway, it's not a bad pain but I figured it would eventually go away. It's in front at the top, right where my leg connects to my torso.

I googled and apparently it's a common thing, and I found some stretches and exercises to help, but was wondering if anyone here experienced the same thing and what helped.

For the past 2 weeks or so I have added the adductor hip machine 2-3x a week and I think that's helping a little, but I would like it to just go away!

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    is it your hip flexor? a really nice stretch is to kneel on one knee, put the other foot in front, resting your forearm on that thigh, lean forward and lift your other arm up (I usually do this in the rack so I rest that lifted hand on the bar). Hold for 10-15s then swap sides.
  • fglover84
    Options
    I get this too, but just thought it was because I have bad/weak hips. For me it feels like the actual joint connecting the bones is sore, from the pressure put on it from doing squats! I actually feel it most when I stand back up straight from the barbell row, but its definitely caused by the squats. I too thought it would go away over time once the joint had strengthened up but it hasn't. It also isn't that bad that it would stop me from doing squats, I think I've just accepted its part of the process.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm having pain almost right above my hip bone towards the front. Mine I think is my IT band, and I really need to be incorporating some foam rolling, but I'm at least stretching it. For me, squats alone didn't cause the pain, but adding running sure did...
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Tips from a tree:

-Make sure you are pushing your knees out

-Agile 8! http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html

-Try a narrower squat stance as a wider stance is harder on your hips.

-Take your fish oil.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have some hip pain, but I think it's just the bursitis I've had before that flares up sometimes.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    There is also nothing that says you HAVE to squat 3 times a week. You can either cut it back to once a week, or twice, or throw in some front squats instead. You might progress slower, but if you are pain free. . .
  • wendypow
    Options
    is it your hip flexor? a really nice stretch is to kneel on one knee, put the other foot in front, resting your forearm on that thigh, lean forward and lift your other arm up (I usually do this in the rack so I rest that lifted hand on the bar). Hold for 10-15s then swap sides.

I'm pretty sure that's it because when I did that stretch I really felt it! I'll keep doing those. :)
  • wendypow
    Options
    I don't want to cut back, especially since it's not super painful, just more of an annoyance. It's not affecting my quality of life or anything. Plus I'm a rule follower and then that would just throw me off! LOL.

Funny about the wider stance - my stance has been average (hip width) and the past 2 sessions I've widened it a little bit to help me with form! But I will definitely add the fish oil. I have some anyway.
  • TeamAwesomeDanger
    Options
    Have you tried foam rolling it? When I first started working with a trainer, my hip flexors would get so sore that when he first had me try foam rolling them I was kind of gasping in pain. But it quickly faded, and got much better quickly. Now that I've started SL, I really need to get back in the habit, I'm starting to feel some soreness, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlqRPdju1gQ

This video shows basically the motion he had me do. Hope it helps!
  • wendypow
    Options
    Have you tried foam rolling it? When I first started working with a trainer, my hip flexors would get so sore that when he first had me try foam rolling them I was kind of gasping in pain. But it quickly faded, and got much better quickly. Now that I've started SL, I really need to get back in the habit, I'm starting to feel some soreness, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlqRPdju1gQ

This video shows basically the motion he had me do. Hope it helps!

I haven't foam rolled it because there is NO way I'm doing that at the gym!! I didn't watch your link but I've seen a couple of other videos on how to do it, and let's just say I'm a little too self conscious to do that in public. I may have to purchase one to use at home if it will help (I'm sure it will).

Thanks!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I picked a foam roller up at Marshall's for 12 bucks - I roll before I go to the gym, and it does help quite a bit! You want to get it resolved now - at higher weights that slight discomfort can turn in to an injury.
  • TeamAwesomeDanger
    Options
    I haven't foam rolled it because there is NO way I'm doing that at the gym!! I didn't watch your link but I've seen a couple of other videos on how to do it, and let's just say I'm a little too self conscious to do that in public. I may have to purchase one to use at home if it will help (I'm sure it will).

Thanks!

Hah, I understand- I was trying to think of the best way to describe it but "Basically, dry hump it on the floor" didn't sound like something most women would want to do in public- hence the video link :laugh:
  • wendypow
    Options

Thanks!

Hah, I understand- I was trying to think of the best way to describe it but "Basically, dry hump it on the floor" didn't sound like something most women would want to do in public- hence the video link :laugh:

Yeah, considering it's mostly dudes there at 6:00 a.m. - NOT happening. HA