Running in the Rain

Options
2»

Replies

• beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Rain running is the best. Gold bond makes and anti friction stick that you can apply to sensitive areas to keep the chaffing down. It is pretty sweat proof, goes on like deodorant. Stuff works like a champ no bloody nips here!!
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hot tub is by far our best purchase EVER!!!!! We had it before we started running and we use it almost daily throughout the winter and occasionally during the summer. About 3 days out of a month in the summer for TOM pain mostly. In the winter just our excuse to drink after a run
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've done a long run in the rain before. It was either 18 or 20 miles. It's really no big deal. Yeah, your feet are going to get a little heavy, but that's about it.

What to wear depends on the temperature. If it's over 70, then I would run without a shirt (I am aware that might not work real well for YOU :smile: ). Between about 50 and 70, I'd just wear a running shirt and protect my nipples with some body glide. 40 to 50, probably a tech tee with a water resistant, light weight running jacket. Below that, I just replace the technical shirt I would normally wear with the running jacket and use the same base layer as I normally would.

ETA: And you will feel TOTALLY Bad @ss when you are done!

I thought your numerals were referring to age, and I thought you had it exactly backwards.
    Never take your shirt off if you are over 70 years.
    Wear a baggy one if you are between 50 years and 70 years.
    You get the idea . . .
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    I live on Vancouver Island in Canada (near Seattle) and so, I run in the rain more often than I run when it's not raining, this time of year!! I agree with avoiding cotton. I typically wear a technical running shirt, light rain jacket, and running leggings for rain. Most run/workout wear have moisture-wicking fabric so it will work well. Also, make sure you wear moisture wicking socks (running socks usually are) - not your typical Hanes cotton socks! I made that mistake before and blistered!!
    As long as you dress appropriately, you may find you like running in the rain! I personally find it keeps me cool and is very calming (as the above post mentioned) :-)
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    You beat me to this post, I am also in Arizona and my 11 mile run is this Saturday. I was going to ask the same question. Guess I have some shopping to do tomorrow. Let's see raincoat, body glide. Good luck on your run.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Rain isn't really a problem. Rain and wind chill factor can be.
    Most if not all rain jackets prevent moisture being wicked away. I find that this causes me to cool rapidly once I stop exercising and this can lead to problems.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm also in AZ. It's POURING rain right now, 4am. It's a non running day for me, but last long run (21 mi) tomorrow. I'm most concerned about my Iphone getting wet. I wear it in a spy belt, so if necessary, I guess I can put it in a baggie first. I hate running in the rain. But hopefully it'll die off and just be sprinkles for me tomorrow.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm also in AZ. It's POURING rain right now, 4am. It's a non running day for me, but last long run (21 mi) tomorrow. I'm most concerned about my Iphone getting wet. I wear it in a spy belt, so if necessary, I guess I can put it in a baggie first. I hate running in the rain. But hopefully it'll die off and just be sprinkles for me tomorrow.

I get caught out in the rain frequently so for my new iphone I got a Lifeproof case. Shatterproof and waterproof. :drinker:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...I'm most concerned about my Iphone getting wet...

Leave it home.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    one of the best things about running is leaving the phone at home, and the mental freedom of not knowing or caring who is trying to talk to you!

(cannot help but notice that my One day of Not Running is the first dry, sunny day for ages grrrrr)
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous of you guys getting to run in the warm rain - it's going to be cold (3 degrees C, 37 F) and rainy for my long run here tonight. Brr.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I don't do thunderstorms if I can avoid it. Got caught out in the weather once when a line of tornadoes were coming through. Not fun. Not likely in AZ.

Hat with a long brim is a must.

As mentioned many times above. No cotton.It sounds like your temperature won't be too cool, so your typical running gear for that temp is probably appropriate. I would be tempted to run with a light water resistant jacket but you don't want to become clammy.

Squishy shoes are the worst. If you can, run with polypro sock liners. You feet will become pretty wet and I"ve found that the sock liners are thin enough but protective enough to prevent or minimize blisters.

Clean off and air dry your shoes after the run. Take out any inserts and allow them to dry separately beofer putting them back in the shoes..

Electronics should be kept in some waterproof container or Ziploc bag. I run in the rain with my phone in a bag. Don't have to take it out for the touch screen to function. Make sure all other electronics are waterproof or at least water resistant to a depth of 1M. That should be adequate for most rain events.

Best of all, have fun with it. Imagine yourself running around the rain drops, or just blasting through them as a fun visual image.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Clean off and air dry your shoes after the run. Take out any inserts and allow them to dry separately beofer putting them back in the shoes.

The best way, hands down, to dry shoes is just to stuff them with newspaper and let them sit. The newspaper pulls all the moisture out in 24 hours and they are dry and ready to go again.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Clean off and air dry your shoes after the run. Take out any inserts and allow them to dry separately beofer putting them back in the shoes.

The best way, hands down, to dry shoes is just to stuff them with newspaper and let them sit. The newspaper pulls all the moisture out in 24 hours and they are dry and ready to go again.

No kidding? I can't wait to try that.