Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Options
darkrider42
darkrider42 Posts: 5,315 Member
Look here for answers to most of the questions you might have about this Challenge. If there's anything you want to know that you can't find here, please don't hesitate to ask by either posting your question in the thread or by PMing one of the Group Moderators. Somebody will be more than happy to help!

********************************************************************************************************
THIS SECTION STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION - MORE CONTENT COMING SOON! :)
********************************************************************************************************

FAQ Contents (Updated 11/28/2013):

1 - All things TICKER
2 - Choosing your GOAL
3 - When & How to JOIN
4 - How THREADS work
5 - Posting mileage UPDATES
6 - OH YEAH! Almost forgot....the SPREADSHEET!!! :happy:
7 - CONDUCT and EXPECTATIONS

More will be added as common questions or themes arise.

Dave

Replies

• darkrider42
    edited October 2022
    Options
    1 - TICKER TOPICS

Last updated: Friday 11/22/2013

"Where do I get a ticker?"
    "How do I get a ticker to show up in my posts?"
    "How do I update my ticker?"
    "Why can't I find my ticker?"
    "Why is my ticker all smooshed like that?"

Have I missed any? :)

Tickers, while not required to participate in this challenge, are a fun way to add a little personality to your posts. It does add a couple of steps to being able to post an update of your mileage totals, but is not at all difficult.

You basically have two options for creating a distance Ticker. There are others if you want to Google 'exercise tickers', but the most common one is from tickerfactory.com. Go there to customize a ticker for yourself.

Creating your brand new ticker:

Go through the steps of creating a new "Exercise & Fitness" type ticker on Tickerfactory.com. Select your background, slider, and enter your numbers and labels. After you create the ticker and click the final [NEXT] button which takes you to the last page showing you the final product, there will be a link on TickerFactory for "bbCode" that you should copy to your clipboard. Highlight it and press Ctrl-C on your keyboard (AppleKey+C on a Mac)

(Note: Save this somewhere too....like a text file on your desktop or on your clipboard or in a note on your smartphone). Then when you create your update post, write whatever description of your workout or inspiring message you wish to say and then hit [ENTER] once or twice for a *new* line, then paste the bbCode. Then click the "Post Reply" button. Voila!

Now...here's how to go back and update your ticker after you've added more miles:

TICKERFACTORY: Becuase Tickerfactory uses a cookie to store your identity rather than a log-in account, you have to use the same device you used to create the ticker (Laptop, smartphone, iPad, etc). Your smartphone won't know anything about the ticker you created on your Macbook or PC, or vice versa. Go to tickerfactory.com. Enter the PIN you created, update your total miles, then click [Next]. Either re-copy the bbCode or grab it off your desktop text document or clipboard. (I use my android phone and keep it "locked" from deletion in the clipboard.) Paste it into a new MYAC thread post on a *new* line. Click the "Post Reply" button. You can use the very same ticker for subsequent months by just changing the Title/Description text on the same page where you update your total miles. You can also change your goal miles there too.

The reason why you have to post the ticker code on its own separate line is because it will freak out thinking it doesn't have enough room and then it will display your ticker cut off at both ends. You'll only see about an inch in the middle of the ticker.

You may notice that every time you update the numbers or text on the Ticker hosting site, it updates EVERY SINGLE TICKER tied to that link you've ever posted. That doesn't mean you don't still need to post your updates regularly though because we only read each of your posts ONCE......but *hint hint hint* this information is important because at the end of the month, you don't want to be too quick to clear your numbers before we've added them to the spreadsheet or you might not get credit for all of your miles!

TICKER EXAMPLES:

TickerFactory: exercise.png
  • darkrider42
    Options
    2 - CHOOSING A GOAL

• darkrider42
    Options
    3 - HOW DO I & WHEN CAN I JOIN?

...To join just post a goal to the monthly thread. Come back often and post your total miles/km moved. You can update each activity as well if you wish but PLEASE include the TOTAL each update.

Unless it's 11:59pm on the last day of the month, it is never too late to join our challenge. If you join later in the month, just set a realistic goal and get to moving your *kitten* to reach it.
  • darkrider42
    edited October 2022
    Options
    4 - HOW DO POST AN UPDATE?

• darkrider42
    edited October 2022
    Options
    5 - The SPREADSHEET!

-- The spreadsheet can be accessed at: www.tinyurl.com/myac201402

-- There's something wonky with the spreadsheet. For instance, your total was added incorrectly, your name is misspelled, a calculation is wrong, you are female and are listed as a male (or vice versa), you joined a couple days ago and declared a goal but haven't been added to the sheet yet, etc.

-- You have an issue or concern regarding the challenge or Group

-- You are still having Ticker troubles after reading the FAQ thread entry regarding Tickers and how they work

-- You want to adjust your goal upward (no problem! happy) or downward (provided you have a genuine, valid reason with which to justify it, not just because you were being lazy the first two weeks of the month and are super behind pace now... LOL). I don't have a problem with lowering someones goal for reasons like: You were a first-time participant and really didn't know what a reasonable goal might be, or you had an injury or illness that genuinely prevented you from exercising, you experienced a family emergency, that sort of thing. But really....since you're not competing with anybody but yourself and there's no prize money involved, it doesn't really matter all that much. I'm not going to ask for a doctor's note. laugh YOU know if you're really trying to make your goal or whether you're just slacking. I'm not the one you have to convince. You're the only one that will know and have to live with it. Fair enough?
  • darkrider42
    edited October 2022
    Options
    6 - CONDUCT and EXPECTATIONS

-- If you should ever experience an issue with another Group member, which should be a rare thing, please do not post it here. Send one of the Group Administrators a Private Message (PM) about it. Odds are if we see anything sketchy happening in the threads, we'll already be aware of it and will address it promptly. We expect everyone to be respectful of each other and to keep all discussion fairly family-friendly.
This discussion has been closed.