Weird HR spike when starting out?

ze_hombre
ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
Bit of backstory. I was training for a triathlon and September 1st I had a bicycle accident and ended up with a broken scapula (shoulder blade). Before that I was running 20-25 miles per week. I was biking and swimming the other days with only one rest day. For the remainder of September I couldn't do anything but sit on my derriere.

Around the first of October I started doing short runs to get back into it. Started off with basically week 4 of C25K (staggered running and walking) for a total of about 2 miles. I slowly built back up so now I am running my old distances.

However, I have noticed something very strange and worrying. When I start of my HR spikes really high for the first half mile or so. I have seen it break 210 bpm. After the first half mile or so it drops back down the 150-160 range and stays there. Although that is a bit higher than before the break its perfectly fine for my body size and age (previously I would hover around the 145-155 range). This sudden spike is new to me though and a bit worrying. At first I thought it was pace and I was just going too fast (I was starting out 8:30-9 min/mile whereas I normally run in the 10-10:30 min/mile range).

So this afternoon's run I intentionally ran slow (10:45 min mile) for the first half mile and still saw the same spike, maxing out at 208 before settling down to the more normal 158.

Anyone else familiar with this? Should I go see a physiologist or is this something that will slowly work itself out? I was only out of commission for a month so I shouldn't have lost that much cardio strength, right?

Replies

• Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    I am curious have you manually taken your pulse during the spike and checked against the HRM. I changed my batteries awhile back and for awhile all of a sudden at the beginning of my runs I was over 190 when I knew I should be 80 to 85 and slowly climbing. My resting HR is about 54 and it goes up to about 145 when running I am 65 yrs old about 182 pounds. My recovery rate to about 90 beats is about 2 minutes once I start to walk at the end of my run. Because of my medical history I called my DR. to ask him and he seemed to think not my heart. I was puzzled for a bit its a HRM so if not my heart ???. Suggested next run while I am coming to pace check my beats neck or wrist. I was about 86 BPM wrist 178 HRM by the first mile both were almost identical at 138.
    I am not sure why the difference at the beginning but its easier not to be concerned now.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    I am curious have you manually taken your pulse during the spike and checked against the HRM.

I'd like to know that too. My Garmin was doing the exact same thing. I start off a run and it's showing me 120% HR. Yeah, right. I started putting electrode gel on the strap pads instead of just wetting them and haven't had an issue since then. Could have been my strap dried out from the time I left the house until the time I started running. The gel seems to have fixed the issue for now.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Check this forum out - Shows how to fix it. My runs do it too - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-your-heart-rate.html
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Check this forum out - Shows how to fix it. My runs do it too - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-your-heart-rate.html

Thanks for the link!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Wow, i thought it was just me!! I always assumed it something to do with the watch and not me. Thanks for the link. :smile:
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Are the HRM pads making good contact? Mine can and has run very high if the pads are not wet.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Bit of backstory. I was training for a triathlon and September 1st I had a bicycle accident and ended up with a broken scapula (shoulder blade). Before that I was running 20-25 miles per week. I was biking and swimming the other days with only one rest day. For the remainder of September I couldn't do anything but sit on my derriere.

Around the first of October I started doing short runs to get back into it. Started off with basically week 4 of C25K (staggered running and walking) for a total of about 2 miles. I slowly built back up so now I am running my old distances.

However, I have noticed something very strange and worrying. When I start of my HR spikes really high for the first half mile or so. I have seen it break 210 bpm. After the first half mile or so it drops back down the 150-160 range and stays there. Although that is a bit higher than before the break its perfectly fine for my body size and age (previously I would hover around the 145-155 range). This sudden spike is new to me though and a bit worrying. At first I thought it was pace and I was just going too fast (I was starting out 8:30-9 min/mile whereas I normally run in the 10-10:30 min/mile range).

So this afternoon's run I intentionally ran slow (10:45 min mile) for the first half mile and still saw the same spike, maxing out at 208 before settling down to the more normal 158.

Anyone else familiar with this? Should I go see a physiologist or is this something that will slowly work itself out? I was only out of commission for a month so I shouldn't have lost that much cardio strength, right?

This has happened to me - as recently as yesterday! My HR got to 98 at 0.1 miles, hit 145 at 0.11, then 160 at 0.21 stayed at 160 until 0.36. All the while I was running no faster than 10:45. It dropped to 123 BPM at a 10:35 pace. My mile times and average HR for the run
    10:46@133
    10:20@144
    10:11@150
    10:12@151
    10:02@152
    10:02@153

Typically, my first mile is no higher than 123 so a 10 BPM increase indicates that something's not right.

I use software that analyzes the files from my Garmin 610 and it indicates that the entire spike is full of errors.

Causes?
    1 - the strap was loose - this will happen as you lose weight so check to make sure that it's tight.
    2 - the strap wasn't moistened - typically, winter is colder and lower humidity. That means that it takes longer to sweat and our sweat evaporates more quickly so that can cause problems with an HRM strap.
    Check out the writings of dcrainmaker.com for advice (I've used electrode gel)
    3 - the strap is failing - this has happened to me a few times and I call Garmin and get them to RMA the strap. There's no reason that a $50 strap should fail after a few months so Garmin's receptive to swapping them out.

Per rainmaker, Garmin's premium HRM straps were the weak link (the all-in-one plastic strap apparently works OK). They revised them early this year with a new model that has a brownish contact patch that goes on the left side of the rib cage. They work much better than the previous soft strap — I've a replacement strap for the past six months or so and yesterday was the first day I saw an elevated error rate.

I do sincerely hope that it is an issue with your HRM and not with your HR.
  • Happens to me on every run. Seriously, every one, no joke. I think it's static from whatever moisture control shirt I'm wearing. It seems to dissipate within .5 miles, though it's lasted as long as over a mile. It's not your chest ready to explode, trust me.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Happens to me on every run. Seriously, every one, no joke. I think it's static from whatever moisture control shirt I'm wearing. It seems to dissipate within .5 miles, though it's lasted as long as over a mile. It's not your chest ready to explode, trust me.

Pete:

That's another issue that rainmaker talks about. He's into biking, as well as running, and he's reported that cyclists have an issue in the cold 'cause the technical (plastic) fabric flutters in the breeze as he rides and that, he postulates, exacerbates the problem.

At my 10 minute pace, my HRM strap doesn't face that problem… ;-)
  • This happens to me every winter (in Scotland). I just need to wet the chest strap and it's fine (as long as I use warm water otherwise it's torture putting it on ;) !!