A little dishearted by my gym...

i have been reading up on the stronglifts program, reading the messages here, watching the videos etc and have decided it looks like something i want to try, but i'm still a little nervous about correct form and the like. So i emailed my gym and asked if any fo the trainers are familiar with the stronglift program and if there is someone to work with on proper form, etc.

The reply i got back was basically that "I am somewhat familiar with this program, but it's very hard on your body and you will get bulky and not look feminine anymore." which is the opposite of what i have been reading. My understanding is that it takes so much effort for a woman to put on enough muscle to look "bulky" that it's not something i'm really worried about...and it's kind of not the point. i am looking to get stronger and be more fit.

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Yes. I would be a little disheartened too. The person is a jerk on so many levels. I think it pretty much translates to "I have no idea of proper form on these exercises so I'm going to try to dissuade you from doing the program." I would try to find a different gym, if only because I don't like giving money to idiots.
    A trainers job is to do what their clients want. Some clients have very specific goals "I want to learn to deadlift properly," while other's might have general goals "I want to lose body fat." You came to them with a specific goal. What if you wanted to get bulky! Well for one you would probably want to start a hypertrophy program instead of a strength program, but that is neither here nor there. That really isn't the trainer's business unless you specifically told them you want to get bulky or don't want to. It is pretty sad that the trainer is so misinformed.

Many of us learned from watching youtube videos although I did find a trainer to watch my form a couple months into the program. A lot of ladies also video themselves and post for others to critique which isn't quite as effective as having someone correcting you in real time, but still works.
  • Unfortunately this sort of thing tends to be the norm. I have met many women that do not want to strength train because they do not want to get bulky. The average gym goer is highly misinformed AND they tend to believe that the main reason for working out is to look better. Just try and tune that stuff out.

-Vince
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I would find another gym.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    it's also insulting to women who want to bulk up and get strong... i.e. the same old strong =/= feminine line again.... insulting to all women, not just those who aspire to be strong.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Find a new gym. That is insulting.
  • accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    How insulting. Can you make a trip in and speak to somebody. I know at my gym there are a few different trainers and I'm sure they all have a different level of skill and weight lifting knowledge. There are a few woman trainers there that have great muscle definition and I'd bet my boots that they lift. They would be my first port of call at my gym. Maybe yours is similar.
  • What gym was this?
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    I had the same thing happen to me. Except it was from my husband's friend who is a PT. He keeps trying to talk me out of lifting heavier. He tells me to do more reps with less weight. I think it is old school way of thinking. First of all some women want to get bulky. Second I would have to eat a lot more and train a lot harder than what I would be starting with.

I would definitely find another gym or at least another trainer. I spoke to a trainer at another gym that I was going to join (but decided to start collecting equipment at home) and right up front I said I was interested in starting SL 5x5 and I won't work with any trainer that will try to talk me out of it or tell me false myths like I will get bulky. I explained I just wanted help with form, etc, but no other input if they didn't agree with my choice of program. The guy made sure to let me know that he would only support my decision and help however he could. Maybe if you come right out with what you want like that somebody else will know to just help how they can and not try to dissuade you.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    I got a kind of double edged sword when I did something similar to you.

Firstly the manager was very open about my training goals and even mentioned a couple of trainers who would be good for me. She gave me an introduction to the gym area and walked me around pointing out a squat rack (that is actually a smith machine, but I didn't know it at the time). pointed out another squat rack that they got rid of (and didn't have any bars to use with anyway).

So firstly I signed up (well took over another membership) on what I feel are false pretenses. Now the squat rack is gone, I have been told it will be back in the New Year (and I am hoping that means early in Jan, but it may just be sometime in 2014)
    And my trainer started out showing me what I wanted, but since then I have not actually been doing the program I want to.

We are lifting heavy things, I do get DOMS and she is building my core strength - so I don't injure myself doing compound lifts. But we are doing reps of 12 and a lot of isolation exercises and some on machines. I am bit disillusioned but I will be fixing this ASAP. If it comes down to it, I will change to a different gym.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member

"Hi

Thanks for your opinion. I have researched and chosen the stronglifts program based on my personal goals. I believe the question I asked was if you have any trainers who can help with form and are familiar with the program. If you could address that before offering unsolicited opinion and advise that would be great.

Best Regards"

Yes I am an unpleasant person to cross :D
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    That would be a perfect reply! Polite, but to the point.
  • Nyxish
    Nyxish Posts: 16
    "Reply

"Hi

Thanks for your opinion. I have researched and chosen the stronglifts program based on my personal goals. I believe the question I asked was if you have any trainers who can help with form and are familiar with the program. If you could address that before offering unsolicited opinion and advise that would be great.

Best Regards"

Yes I am an unpleasant person to cross :D "

HAHHAHA i have been kind of...working on my reply to her. i am reminding myself that i am sure she honestly means well, even if she has not done the research i have, nor does she - apparently - have the same vewipoint on women lifting. (which i find funny as i still haven't even started this yet.)

This is my local to work and most convenient basic gym - i guess i might call it a fitness center, really. They aren't fancy and pretty, but they do have a great hours and lots and lots of machines and space. My one question now that i have been looking into the SL5x5 program is if they even have the barbells and racks...i've just never really looked. i know they have one of the machines, but not just the free racks that you have to balance the weight yourself.

My other option is a local place i took a bootcamp class once that i really liked, but it's definitely just a gritty, kinda grungy ABSOLUTELY no thrills gym mainly for guys who do hard workouts. They definitely have all the squat racks and etc, but i will own it's a lot more intimidating. The owner is really nice... tho from the bootcamp classes i'd say he's a big, strong grinning sadist of a man, so i could do it.... just have to get up my gumption if things don't work out with my current gym. :p
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    having moved from the pretty gym with lots of machines and not many weights to a grungy gym where I am the only woman I see 99.9% of the time, they aren't that intimidating. In fact, the guys are usually a bit intimidated by a woman turning up and working hard (as they are often doing bro pump curl nonsense!). Maybe learn the basics at your gym (and you don't need a trainer to do that, and avoid the smith machine!!), then try out the hardcore one?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Oh wait... it was a FEMALE trainer who said this?? :noway: That explains it all. Find another gym. :flowerforyou:
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Find another gym or find another trainer, or both. I emailed my trainer, who is a woman, the SL 5x5 program to try and start and she was the one who actually had to talk me into finally starting it! I was working my way up to it and finally she just told me I was ready. She showed me proper form and first put me on the smith machine but when we met again and I told her I don't like the smith machine she said okay. She is supportive of my choice and encourages me to keep going but to be safe at the same time (i have a bum back so I take this program really slowly). She watches my form, gives encouragement and even helps me find an alternative if it is something I just can't do right off the bat and how to work my way up to what I want to do.

A good trainer listens to their clients AND realizes not everyone has the same form as the every other person. They also have certifications and won't try to sell you on diet fad/fitness craze crap.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    I'd consider going to the grungy gym.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I'd consider going to the grungy gym.

^^^^ this
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    I also agree on going to the grungy gym. My local gym doesn't have free weights, only machines. I would love to go to the grungy, mostly men, gym but it is not close and I would have to go late and I don't get much time and like my TV and sleep too much. But they have actual power racks and Olympic weights! So I would go with them if I were you, I bet yours is similar. I doubt the other gym has the equipment you need.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    I had a similar thing happen to me, a guy at my gym said that women should just do cardio and light weights to "look good".

Joining another gym is not an option for me so I made it my mission to prove him wrong. In a couple months he should see how manly I look :laugh: