Thanksgiving and all other Holidays!

Options
SO! I wanted to discuss a small issue of mine and hear other people's stories. I have been in a loving and committed relationship for the past 2.7 years with my lovely lady. Her side of the family has been very open and accepting which is very surprising especially because they're from South Jersey (which is basically the South) and are "red necks" and go hunting. But seriously, there are extremely nice and loving towards me.

My family on the other hand is pretty awful. My parents immigrated to America about 30ish years ago from India. So they still have those conservative values and such. They know.......i have a gf but we just dont talk about. I'm not mad at them. Upset....but not mad.

Basically my question is for all of you is.....................How did you first introduce your significant other to your family? Did you do it just at home or at a big holiday event? TELL MEEEEEEEEEE!

Replies

• exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    First of all, I was born and raised and live with my fiance in South Jersey and I take exception to the idea that we're the South. Ah who am I kidding, it's true... they're all red necks in the Pine Barrens.

I met my fiance through my Mom so that was a moot point. But I introduced him to my grandmother at my brother's rehearsal dinner (coincidentally, that's when I came out to her). She was really great about it.

He, however, introduced me to his family by taking us all out to dinner one night. It was the most awkward and uncomfortable dinner I've ever been at. But, five years later, we're all very close.

Good luck!
  • justclaire
    justclaire Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Holidays are so stressful already. Adding a new stressor to the family events around that time never made sense to me. But whenever you choose to introduce your significant other to your family, I think it makes sense to TELL THEM that's what you are going to be doing. At all costs, I would avoid AMBUSHING anyone. I know friends who made that mistake and are still paying for it.

Good luck!
    -Claire