pregnancy seems to have made me dumber

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I seriously feel like my IQ has dropped about 20 points my head always feels cloudy and I'm very forgetful. Did anyone else experience the "dumbing" of pregnancy?

Replies

• stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Did with both my boys although I mainly only remember it in the third trimester. This pregnancy I am already experiencing it at 17 weeks. If I don't write things down or put them in the calendar on my phone they are forgotten. I am making constant silly mistakes at work which just irritate the heck out of me.

When I was pregnant with my first I was going to college and everyone kept telling me that it was the best time to be pregnant because studies showed the mother's retained their lessons better, etc, etc. I had just laughed because that did not seem possibly in my case. But nonetheless know that you are not alone. It happens to most everyone I believe.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible time remembering numbers that I always use (debit pin, etc) and can't seem to orient when I want to pull up to a gas pump... always end up the wrong way!
  • scienceteacherAK
    scienceteacherAK Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Haha oh man, my students think this is hilarious. When I am teaching I constantly can't remember what I wanted to say, or some vocab words... it is so annoying, though my kids love to finish my sentences for me until someone gets what I was trying to say. It has become a game and then they love to say "hashtag- pregnant".

Oh, the joys of high school =)
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Yup. Can't remember appointments. Can't do maths in my head. Keep forgetting words. Ask questions and two minutes later have no idea what the answer given was. Often have no idea what day of the week it is.

My husband thinks it's hilarious.

I feel like such a thicko.
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    With my first one, it was bad. Baby brain during pregnancy and then mommy brain after he was born. I think he was around 2 before the "cloud" lifted and I no longer felt useless.

A friend of mine recently had her daughter and watching her experience baby brain was funny. She's extremely bright, practices law, always quick with a comment, but couldn't remember where she'd left her wooden spoon when we were over for dinner one night. :laugh:

By the way, I say all this with love and know I'll soon be doomed to the same fate. :flowerforyou:
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Ha! I went yesterday for my car seat installation inspection and the technician went on and on for 30+ minutes with the laws and suggestions for installation and use from infant to 8 years old! I walked away thinking "My gosh, women with pregnancy brain wouldn't be able to remember 90% of this!" I intend to email her, making a recommendation that they have a printout or email with all the ins and outs of car seats!

Oddly, I have felt pretty intelligent this pregnancy. My husband may beg to differ, though I wouldn't ask him! I've been able to sleep well for the most part, maybe that's why?
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Speaking of forgetting appointments, I did just that yesterday morning >,<
    Ha! I went yesterday for my car seat installation inspection and the technician went on and on for 30+ minutes with the laws and suggestions for installation and use from infant to 8 years old! I walked away thinking "My gosh, women with pregnancy brain wouldn't be able to remember 90% of this!" I intend to email her, making a recommendation that they have a printout or email with all the ins and outs of car seats!

Lisa, it helps to go some place like car-seat.org because the techs there will give you specific advice about your car and carseat. Seriously, there is no way you could know it all (unless you did the week long course, maybe!) Handle up or down on the infant seat.. depends! Can the back of my carseat touch the front seat of the car? Depends! Should I use seatbelt or LATCH? Depends!
  • Nique85
    Nique85 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am so embarrassed to admit the dumb mistakes I have made. Let's just say one involves my wedding ring!
  • lisapr123
    Options
    Speaking of forgetting appointments, I did just that yesterday morning >,<

Lisa, it helps to go some place like car-seat.org because the techs there will give you specific advice about your car and carseat. Seriously, there is no way you could know it all (unless you did the week long course, maybe!) Handle up or down on the infant seat.. depends! Can the back of my carseat touch the front seat of the car? Depends! Should I use seatbelt or LATCH? Depends!

Yeah, it's a lot! Luckily our local technician is nationally certified, my neighbor (found that out yesterday), and I've taught her kids. One advantage of a small town! We had it right, except they cannot "approve" it was done right since I had an after market seat protector too. I'll be calling her again when we switch to the convertible seat! Better safe than sorry. I'm going to check out that site too.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    LOL...absolutely. I was kind of forgetful to begin with and now it's worse!!! However, I found that taking a tablespoon of coconut oil a day really helps.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am so embarrassed to admit the dumb mistakes I have made. Let's just say one involves my wedding ring!

Me too! I haven't said anything to my husband yet because I am 99.9% sure it is in my house somewhere, I just need to find it.
  • Nique85
    Nique85 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha!!!!! I told my husband, and he didn't get upset but I am so upset because I can't remember what I did with it for the life of me!
  • lisapr123
    Options
    Hahahaha!!!!! I told my husband, and he didn't get upset but I am so upset because I can't remember what I did with it for the life of me!

Mine was missing in action for a few days too. I found it tucked inside my wallet....my hands must've swelled while I was out so I stuck it in there for safe keeping.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You're so not alone!! I will forget the Simplest thing. Half the time, I will describe something to someone bc I can't remember the name of it... Did that the other day when all I was trying to say was crockpot!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I call it pregnancy brain and it affects me everytime. I use to smart, really!!!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I was trying to turn on the TV and DVD player. This takes 2 remotes. Instead, I picked up the small remote for our FAN and tried to turn both on with that. Yeah, and spent a minute swearing at the TV and DVD player because it wouldn't turn on.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i have to write EVERYTHING down while i'm at work because i instantly forget what anyone says to me. i have so many little scrappy notes of paper everywhere!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Haha oh man, my students think this is hilarious. When I am teaching I constantly can't remember what I wanted to say, or some vocab words... it is so annoying, though my kids love to finish my sentences for me until someone gets what I was trying to say. It has become a game and then they love to say "hashtag- pregnant".

Oh, the joys of high school =)

Haha! I teach secondary school French and Humanities and I forget things too! This is my third, so I am suffering serious baby brain!
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My husband is learning to write everything down because I fight to the death about things I claim he didn't tell me, so he write it down so I can't argue it, lol. Our calendar looks like a bad game of tic tac toe. There are so many scribbles, times, and memos on it.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    This is getting crazy for me! I forget EVERYTHING!
    My 7 year old has been trying to keep track of things for me, lol. When talking to her teacher, her teacher asked me to come in and help with the class next week. My daughter interuppted her and said, "you better write it down or my mom will forget." She looks at me and says "sorry mom, but you know that its true!"