Purging gone but overeating continues

Options
I was bulimic for a year, and have managed to avoid any purging for a few months now. At this point I feel confident that I will not relapse.

The problem I face now is that I still have horrible urges to binge and I do act on them sometimes. I want to stop this because I know that binging is not good for you, even if it does not result in purging.

I think I became bulimic because I wanted to eat huge amounts of food as a way to deal with feelings and emotions without having to pay for the behavior in weight gain. I need to find a way to deal with stress, loneliness, or sadness other than food. But how?

Replies

• kristineevans12
    Options
    I would say counselling is the way to go, to help figure out those emotions and things that trigger you, congrats on stopping purging that is something to be proud of x
  • Danilova82
    Options
    PMed you
  • wrengoldenrod
    wrengoldenrod Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting about this. I struggle with the same thing, and it has been years since I stopped purging. I have been to numerous counselors, and often feel at a loss, so if anyone has anymore input, it would be helpful to me too.
  • beelee93
    beelee93 Posts: 6
    Options
    I can totally relate to all of you guys, I also use to be bulimic and now I don't purge (self induce and over exercise) so I have gained alot of weight as I am still bingeing. I feel like giving up on life, I know this sounds so pathetic but if I can't control my eating - something so basic to life, how can I control other aspects of my life? I