Boyfriend doesn't get it

Options
Does anybody have people in their life that just don't get it?

My boyfriend doesn't really understand what PCOS is. Neither do his parents. I tell them I can't have sugar because I have PCOS and i'm trying to control the symptoms through diet, and they still push it on me. And not only that, they make fun of me. They're like, "So if you have this cookie are you going to have a mood swing?" Um. Yes actually.

I just feel like telling them, "Look. I already don't get my period, I'm covered in body hair, I gain weight super easily, and I'm moody. And I crave white flour/sugar all the time, and if I eat it, I binge because my blood sugar is out of whack. So please, these cookies will just make it worse. Some support would be nice. "

But I don't say that. Sigh....

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    maybe you should say that? or your allergic to sugar? which is sort of true because your body does have a major reaction to carbs/sugar. Do they understand diabetes? insulin resistance is a lot like diabetes, it affect the blood sugar. Would they force a cookie on a diabetic who said they cant eat it or it'd make them sick? then why would they force it on you?

sometimes you have to lay it out plainly. people like to degrade and make fun of things they dont understand. If you give them all the gory details, they will probably back off out of embarrassment. If not maybe the allergy is the way to go. Explain things to them in a way they will understand. They only see it as you being moody right now, so you need to get down to the nitty gritty.

this is only if you want them to understand. You can always just keep saying no and move on. You dont owe and explanation to anyone if you dont want to.
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You're right thank you.

It's just a lot of people don't know what it is, so they don't take it seriously.

My boyfriend doesn't understand it and he eats a ton of sugar all the time. He's always offering it to me, etc. It's hard!
  • carynburns83
    Options
    I think it's time to sit your boyfriend down and have a serious talk. PCOS isn't a cold... it won't go away once you take some medicine. This is a lifestyle. The absolute worst thing you could have is an unsupportive inner circle. I know... I had one. You are awesome for standing up for yourself and knowing what affects your mood. :)
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to have a serious talk with him.

PCOS can lead to infertility, diabetes, and various cancers. It's no joke. You are completely right to be trying to take proper care of yourself and not eat things that are bad for you.
  • missa3428
    Options
    maybe you should say that? or your allergic to sugar? which is sort of true because your body does have a major reaction to carbs/sugar. Do they understand diabetes? insulin resistance is a lot like diabetes, it affect the blood sugar. Would they force a cookie on a diabetic who said they cant eat it or it'd make them sick? then why would they force it on you?

sometimes you have to lay it out plainly. people like to degrade and make fun of things they dont understand. If you give them all the gory details, they will probably back off out of embarrassment. If not maybe the allergy is the way to go. Explain things to them in a way they will understand. They only see it as you being moody right now, so you need to get down to the nitty gritty.

this is only if you want them to understand. You can always just keep saying no and move on. You dont owe and explanation to anyone if you dont want to.
    I agree you need to have a serious talk with him.

PCOS can lead to infertility, diabetes, and various cancers. It's no joke. You are completely right to be trying to take proper care of yourself and not eat things that are bad for you.
    I think it's time to sit your boyfriend down and have a serious talk. PCOS isn't a cold... it won't go away once you take some medicine. This is a lifestyle. The absolute worst thing you could have is an unsupportive inner circle. I know... I had one. You are awesome for standing up for yourself and knowing what affects your mood. :)

DITTO!!! TO ALL THE ABOVE!!! I couldn't. I have said it any better! I say it over and over again to the people around me...I AM NOT GOING TO KILL MYSELF THANK YOU! But you go right on ahead. ;) With a smirk!
  • kittysaruswrecks
    Options
    I have a lot of coworkers who are like grandmothers and bring lots of food that isn't good for you into work. I'm considering telling them I've been diagnosed as a diabetic for this very reason. I've also been having issues explaining things to my boyfriend as well and he doesn't seem to get it. I FEELS. I've been having pretty bad mood swings as well but I'm still adjusting to the diet and Metformin.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have gestational diabetes and believe me, people do not care. They still keep offering me all kinds of crap.
  • DustyBanana
    DustyBanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if people are not in the same boat they don't grab a paddle to help :-) I get this ALL the time
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If any of them have diabetes, or some kind of addiction problem, it may help to relate it to that.

Basically - you wouldn't push sugar on a diabetic, would you? Nor would you offer alcohol to a recovering alcoholic, would you?

These are things people can often more easily relate to, so sometimes it helps to draw that relationship.