Patellar Subluxation (Shallow Kneecap)

Options
I have a condition with my left knee that has been affecting the consistency of my workouts. I've modified my diet to make up for the inconsistent training, but my metabolism has slowed down and I've gained weight. My last therapist recommended body weight bridges and leg extensions, but that was too easy after a while so I started at the gym again. I have add lower body strength training when my knee isn't swollen and feels stable, but I occasionally regret it the next day. I would not feel anything painful during the workout, but my knee would swell up pretty bad for a few days. I have difficulty identify which movements to avoid.

I'm wearing a brace all the time now, to try to prevent further inflammation. If my knee flairs up anyway, I focus on upper body and core the next day and spin class 48-62 hours after onset of swelling. Squats and lunges are body weight only. I've added 30 lbs. for leg curls and extensions. I work my inner hip abductors more than outer (recommended by therapist) because the kneecap wants to pop outward. I never seem to be able to add weight or get better with my lower body strength. In January, I'm going to a new therapist that is more athlete friendly and see if a second opinion will provide better help.

I'm trying to be reasonable, but it sucks when 1.5 miles is hard and a 5K was no sweat. Yeah, I'm getting old....er.

Replies

• DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm not allowed to run at all, as it will damage my fragile knee further (I have no ACL, I have bone grafts through my femur and tibia after botched surgery and no cartilage so my knee is bone on bone in the media area), so I have to use the bike, cross trainer or swim (which is hard after surgery on my spine). I guess I feel I need to look at what I CAN do rather than mourn the loss of mobility. Aging is a fact of life and we all go through it, and you just need to learn to care for your body as the vehicle through life. It won't last forever. Enjoy what you can do : )