New to CrossFit

Options
I am starting CrossFit this week and I'm super nervous and super excited! Any advice for a newbie?

Replies

• broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I started about a month ago. A personal trainer comes to my work and does it on our lunch hour. Its pretty awesome!! I would love to find a box but I cant afford it :( good luck, its addicting! !!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I did one month with a groupon and loved it. I start tonight at a different box and I'm hoping it will be my "home". You will be very sore at first. Hot baths with epson salts are amazing. Form is most important, ask it you are not certain. And you will hate it during the class but absolutely love it after!
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Don't expect to much of yourself on the first few days. You will be sore, you will work hard and you will have fun!
    The key when you start is to really go for the technique and when you get that, you can do and lift heavy things :).

Have fun!

Crossfit lover since July 2013
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I'd say don't be afraid to let yourself be pushed. You are stronger than you think, more resilient than you think. Also, don't let yourself give up, give it your best every session.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    don't let yourself get intimidated by what others can do that you can't. Just look forward to the day when you can do them, too and keep working at it.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Buy your own jump rope and have an experienced coach help you size it. IMO, the Again Faster Revolution X is my personal favorite.
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying. It's going to be tough, but just push yourself, work hard and don't give up. Don't let other peoples numbers discourage you either. Scale things to a level that works for you and kick some *kitten*! You're going to love it! Welcome to the fold!
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie too. I keep reminding myself that the people who can do totally amazing things right now and make me feel a bit intimidated were once beginners too. That helps me put things in perspective that it's not reasonable to compare myself to them. And I motivate myself with the thought that if I stick with it and work hard, one day down the road, a newbie will come in and see me doing something and they'll think "WOW, that's incredible. I hope I can do that some day."

I agree, don't be afraid to try anything. You may surprise yourself at what you can do!

Finally, remember form is SUPER important. Doing the moves correctly is way more important than doing them quickly. You don't want to risk injury. If you're not sure, ask. Don't be afraid to ask for ways to scale workouts either.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I am starting CrossFit this week and I'm super nervous and super excited! Any advice for a newbie?

Be prepared for muscle soreness in place where you did not realize you had muscles.

And no matter how sore you are, get back in. I go 3 times a week (sometimes 4) and quickly learned that a good warmup routine will get you loose enough to work out, and that this is one of the best ways to get rid of the soreness.

Learn to love the foam roller. It brings pain when you start (especially rolling your IT band but you will adjust quickly.

I hope you enjoy it and stick with it. I am about four months in and love it so far.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Buy your own jump rope and have an experienced coach help you size it. IMO, the Again Faster Revolution X is my personal favorite.

We have extras at the gym for $10/each, I'm buying and sizing one tonight.
  • ChiTownGirl824
    ChiTownGirl824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and support!
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I started about 2 months ago and I'm in love.

First and foremost, FORM FORM FORM. Ask questions, perfect your basic form. If you dont set a solid foundation, you're setting yourself up to get hurt. Of course, with a number of CF workouts, your form starts to break down at max reps, max effort, but make sure you are learning to do everything properly first.

2 more things, and they're *almost* contradictory, but---
    LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. There will be times where you will have to scale, so do so. Don't worry about what anyone thinks. But also, PUSH YOUR BODY. Try a 5 lb heavier dumbbell, put an extra 10 lbs on a squat rack. They go hand in hand- it's important to test your limits and be careful not to hurt yourself.

In the past month, I have gained SO much strength and confidence.

The koolaid is delicious. Welcome