Desolation of Smaug

Options
2»

Replies

• Averith
    Averith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Absolutely loved Desolation of Smaug, I enjoyed the second installment better then the first.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Got to see it! I thoroughly enjoyed it! I did roll my eyes a bit at the whole subplot with Legolas...but they didn't detract from the story and added some awesome fight sequences. Is anyone else impressed that Orlando Bloom can still look almost exactly the same after so many year between films?
    I loved the scenes with dragon sooooooo much! Overall, I enjoyed this more than the first one and it had me constantly sitting at the edge of my seat.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Legolas's eyes totally creeped me out. I thought maybe they just gave him crazier contacts but I happened to catch part of The Two Towers on TV the other night and they showed a close up on him and his eyes were brown! It was very confusing for me because my husband and I were in the process of watching Kingdom of Heaven, where he's all natural Orlando Bloom and looks totally different. Brown hair, brown eyes, etc. I don't know if for this movie, they were trying to make him look like Thranduil but I thought his make up made it impossible for him to emote (or, he just wasn't emoting!).
  • valmaebel
    Options
    I thought something looked different! Now I'll "have" to rewatch the original trilogy to see. Oh darn!
  • Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Legolas's eyes totally creeped me out. I thought maybe they just gave him crazier contacts but I happened to catch part of The Two Towers on TV the other night and they showed a close up on him and his eyes were brown! It was very confusing for me because my husband and I were in the process of watching Kingdom of Heaven, where he's all natural Orlando Bloom and looks totally different. Brown hair, brown eyes, etc. I don't know if for this movie, they were trying to make him look like Thranduil but I thought his make up made it impossible for him to emote (or, he just wasn't emoting!).

I actually just read about this yesterday on Wikipedia (not totally legit but whatevs!) and Peter Jackson has admitted that they often forgot to put in Orlando Bloom's contacts during the filming of LOTR. I guess they learned their lesson in the Hobbit?
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    ^^ I was wondering about that because I could've sworn his eyes were blue in the first trilogy, just not as blue as in The Hobbit. Then I saw that snippet, I was wondering. Was planning on watching the original trilogy again sometime just to check out my theory. The part I saw, it was very obvious that they were brown.
  • valmaebel
    Options
    At makes sense. Trilogy marathon this weekend? Challenge accepted!