Online Dating Rant/Anyone Even Use this board???

Options
CTcutie
CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
I loathe online dating, yet I signed back up today because frankly, there is little chance of meeting a man where I live out in the real world. :sad:

There is NO chance of meeting anyone at work, even though I work at a large company (where everyone is married, apparently??). Friends are of no help whatsoever. Pretty much everyone I know KNOWS that I am single and willing to meet new people. I go out- gym (no luck- no-one talks there except for the over 60 set); coffee shops, stores, running group, guitar lessons, photography lessons, volunteer work, Meetups, book stores, parks/trails... I even went speed dating again recently and was pretty much horrified to see that virtually all of the men that showed up were very young. Age range was 25-45. No-one over 30 showed (in a larger city an hour away) : (

I have a few single girl friends left, but they are much younger and well, it's easier to find dateable guys at their age. One just got engaged on Thanksgiving. Another is likely to become engaged by New Years, I expect.

I'm not too "picky", either. Ok, I'm done. Going to the gym and maybe chat up some grampas if it's not too late for them, lol :grumble:

Replies

• JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have no answers for you... but I'd forgotten about this forum until today I joined a new group and MFP showed me all these groups I'm a member of and had forgotten about.
  • CTcutie
    Options
    Lol... Welcome back?! :ohwell:
  • ellliemaeee
    ellliemaeee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Online dating is one of those things that you hate, yet you keep coming back to (I have the same problem with eating crap, coincidence?).

Men on dating sites, it seems, are there for all the wrong reasons, while the women are actually looking for something real.

The bright side to online dating is that it occasionally provides some laughs (i.e.: when you see someone you messaged in public, when someone sends you a terribly awkward message.)

It sucks ... but I'll keep doing it until I find the one.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I actually enjoyed online dating the 2nd time I tried it.

The first time, less than a year divorced, I seemed to attract a lot of losers, but the 2nd time (couple years later) I had a blast.

Weird thing is, my Match.com profile was exactly the same. Only thing that changed were my pictures because I always want to have recent photos. I'm not sure if the was the15lbs lost or the fact that I was generally more happy the 2nd time around but whatever it was I went on many fun dates and met my boyfriend (we've been dating a year and a half).

The 2nd time around I was also looking for fun (not sex) vice actually looking for a relationship, so I think that made my experience better.
  • CTcutie
    Options
    You know what they say about the definition of "insanity"... But if I'm not looking online, then feel I'm not REALLY trying : /
    Hoping for the best :heart:
  • CTcutie
    Options

The 2nd time around I was also looking for fun (not sex) vice actually looking for a relationship, so I think that made my experience better.

I have not met a man whose definition of "fun" is the same as mine. You must be lucky!! : )
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I don't think I'm lucky. I think I'm just different and guys could see from my profile I wasn't a good target for THAT kind of fun. I honestly didn't go out with too many men who were just after sex. I did get a lot of emails from guys it was obvious that's all they were looking for, but it's easy to spot in their initial contact. I always wrote those guys back with "I don't think we're compatible" messages.

My profile was short and sweet. No long, drawn out dramas. No anger about exes. No sexy profile pics. All active pics (race photos, snowboarding, at the car show etc) plus one evening gown (classy, not sexy). no party girl pics. I mentioned that I'm an active volunteer and work with my youth group. I also wrote "I'm not looking to rush into anything; let's just get to know each other and see where it goes."

Hope you have a better time next go