Importance of protein shakes

Options
jordymils
jordymils Posts: 230 Member
Just wondering what everyone's views are on protein shakes?

I've been doing crossfit for over 2 years and have been using protein shakes for most of that time. I have tried a couple different ones but being lactose intolerant and adamant on not consuming artificial sweeteners, flavours, etc, I have found an all-natural vegan shake that I love. I also follow a fairly strict macro ratio in my diet with 30% protein, and as a vegetarian I find it difficult to hit this without the shakes so I always have one straight after training, and on days I only train once I'll have a shake with breakfast too, so I have 2 per day most days.
That being said, I have this resounding voice in the back of my head from things I've seen and read online about protein shakes hindering weight/fat loss...

In 2011/12 I lost ~30kg by starting crossfit and changing my diet. I am now working on losing the last 7-8kg of body fat (focusing more on body recomp, so not too fussed by the scales) and then building muscle. I realised a few months ago that I was WAY under eating for my body and my training so have just completed a metabolism reset and am now back to a slight deficit to hopefully complete my weight loss journey.

So my question is - am I being stupid for thinking that protein shakes might hinder my success, or am I being smart for using them to support my training?
Also, I know that WPI shakes are best used before training so that your body begins to absorb the protein as you finish a session, but I'm not sure if this would be the same for a rice/pea protein isolate??

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance for any advice!!

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I think it's preferable to eat your protein but my target is usually over 200g/day. That's tough.

I definitely don't use them every day though and am not too consistent in hitting the 200 goal. Probably need to get more serious about that.

I don't think they will hinder progress. Ideally all that protein is going to tamp down your appetite along with giving you the fuel to rebuild muscle.
  • jordymils
    Options
    Yep I agree with eating it but my target is 170g per day which is literally almost impossible on a veg diet unless I add mountains of egg whites to everything...
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Yep I agree with eating it but my target is 170g per day which is literally almost impossible on a veg diet unless I add mountains of egg whites to everything...

Or eating a ton of soy and other beans, which is not ideal for other, more gastro-intestinal reasons :)

I strongly suggest adding bacon back into your diet :)
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I do not know how I would meet my protein goal if it were not for big ol juicy slabs of meat. (I have an identical goal of 170g). Going vegetarian and maintaining a high intake of protein seems very difficult to me (plus I just like steak waaaayyyy too much). I'm interested to see what others might have as input since I'm not of much help
  • jordymils
    Options

Haha. Not going to happen :) I've been vegetarian for 9 years and my reasoning has only become stronger over that time. I cannot stomach the thought of eating a dead animal. Simple as that.

I do not know how I would meet my protein goal if it were not for big ol juicy slabs of meat. (I have an identical goal of 170g). Going vegetarian and maintaining a high intake of protein seems very difficult to me (plus I just like steak waaaayyyy too much). I'm interested to see what others might have as input since I'm not of much help

I've gotten used to relying on non-meat sources of protein so upping my intake was just a matter of increasing what I was already eating, or finding other ways to add more like buying frozen egg whites to add to most meals, etc. I promise it's not as difficult as it sounds and I'm sure I could even manage without the protein shakes but it would be a bit more of a daily chore to hit my target...

Was just curious on peoples thoughts of shakes in general. There seems to be those who swear by them, and those who think they're a waste of money and not worth the effort...
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Bacon is overrated as *kitten*.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

Haha. Not going to happen :) I've been vegetarian for 9 years and my reasoning has only become stronger over that time. I cannot stomach the thought of eating a dead animal. Simple as that.

I've gotten used to relying on non-meat sources of protein so upping my intake was just a matter of increasing what I was already eating, or finding other ways to add more like buying frozen egg whites to add to most meals, etc. I promise it's not as difficult as it sounds and I'm sure I could even manage without the protein shakes but it would be a bit more of a daily chore to hit my target...

Was just curious on peoples thoughts of shakes in general. There seems to be those who swear by them, and those who think they're a waste of money and not worth the effort...

Just joking :)

What I used to do to turn a shake into more of a meal is use a can of light coconut milk and add two spoons of Chia seeds. My powder (Isopure Low Carb) is about 200 calories and 50gs of protein. The milk and seeds add about another 500 calories or so, mostly fat, and really fill you up.

I buy eggs by the 5 dozen package at BJs. I have been eating 3 whole and two whites for breakfast. I just got a call from my doctor that my cholesterol is high, so I might have to change that up a bit. Maybe 1 whole and five whites. My goal is to get more than 30 grams of protein in the morning. I try to stay away from bacon because of the sodium but might have to just make myself a bunch of hamburger patties to add to the mix or something.

I don't have a shake every day but they are definitely part of the mix. Probably 3-4 times a week.