Squat help

Options
Care76
Care76 Posts: 556 Member
I was wondering if your bum was supposed to be sore after doing squats? I feel it in my thighs mostly. I'm wondering if it's because my form is wrong? I already posted a video, and my husband has taken more, but they aren't a huge improvement. Here are the problems I'm having:

1. Pitching forward at the bottom of the squat

2. Not able to get my heels to stay on the ground.

If I keep my legs and feet like how I see others position them (even my husband can squat like that and keep his heels on the ground), my heels come up. But I am more stable and don't seem to come forward and I'm less wobbly. If I keep my feet separated more and my toes pointed out a lot, I can keep my heels on the floor, but I pitch forward more. I tried a bunch of different positions and I just can't seem to get great form.

I don't know if I'm just a weirdo our what. I walk with my toes pointed out a bit and I stand/walk on my toes all the time. When standing with shoes on I always stand with my feet at 3rd and 1st positions (ballet positions which I was in for 11 years). So I don't know if my legs/feet are different from others. I just don't know what to do. It looks so easy when I see other people doing it.

Is there anything that could be hurt by letting my heels come up?

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Try squatting as your husband does but with your heels on a 1" block of wood or use small plates and see if that makes any difference.

Do you pitch forward during a BW squat or only with weight on your back?
  • Care76
    Options
    I don't notice myself pitching forward if my heels are off the ground. I do if I keep my toes out to keep my heels on the ground, with or without weight.

What will the block do? My heels seem to go up more than an inch.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    try lifting your toes - you won't be able to, but thinking about it will push you onto your heels more.. and practise the body weight squats for form, and holding the bottom position (knees out, elbows pushing out) to memorise it..
  • girlie100
    Options
    raising your heels makes it more quad work

If you can keep your heels down on the block and get deep enough on a BW squat then its a case of ankle mobility or posterior chain

Hold onto the each door handle of an open door and BW squat to see if you can push your torso back and get low enough without your heels coming off the floor
  • Care76
    Options
    Thanks so much! Who would have thought it could be so hard. I have to try all these steps, but after reading them to my husband last night we both think it is probably ankle mobility. It sounds exactly like me, and squatting wider does help (but I pitch forward). We're going to try a bunch of things tonight. I'm also going to Google some of those ankle exercises. Here's hoping that soon I will get my heels on the ground. :-)
  • Care76
    Options
    This is what I found on toe walking. And I am not a child, I have walled this way for 36 years since I stated to walk.

"Children who walk on their toes can develop tight calf muscles on the backs of their legs and have decreased movement of their ankles. In addition, the muscles on the front of their legs may become weak. If there is tightness and weakness, your child will have difficulty walking on his heels. Early identification of toe walking can help lead to the prevention of these muscle problems."
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had a brother that walked on his toes, from the time he could walk, and into adulthood. I can see how it would make your calves, etc. tight! Hopefully, some major stretching exercises will help.
  • accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was pitching forward until I took my shoes off and squatted barefoot, the improvement in my form has been great.
  • Care76
    Options
    I pitch forward without shoes on. I practice all day in my house without shoes but it's still the same thing.

I finally was able to do a couple body weight squats without my heels coming off the floor. But I couldn't get down very far and I still felt I was coming forward. I guess my squats won't be going up until I learn to do it properly. Which really sucks, I want to go up in weight.
  • Care76
    Options
    Also, I can keep my heels on the ground when I hold onto the doorhandles or anything that keeps me back. I just can't do it on my own, it's so frustrating. I have been doing ankle, calve, and go flexor stretches. Hopefully I get some improvement.

So I'm not sure if I should go up in weight for the other lifts? Won't I be very far behind for my squats? Should I wait until I get form right for squats before moving up with the others?
  • Care76
    Options
    OK. I didn't do yesterday because I wasn't sure. Plus I have had a bad headache and neck pain for the past week.

I keep the bar low because I have some issues at the base of my neck. I didn't want it resting there. Maybe I'll try and get it lower?
  • girlie100
    Options
    if one of the problems is pitching forward, then you don't want the bar lower as it will force your torso forward, you want to keep your back as upright as possible. Just work on mobility to get yourself lower, foam roll your calves (you need to get deep, and it may hurt) or even use a hockey ball. Also roll your foot on a hockey ball to relax the arch of your foot.
  • Care76
    Options
    I don't know what a foam roller does, but I have heard of them. I'll go look them up. Do you mean a hockey puck? I don't know what a hockey ball is... Maybe I can use one of my dogs balls?

I will try putting the bar higher, but my neck might not be able to handle it. I can't even have that spot massaged. I have been practicing body weight squats and I still pitch forward.
  • girlie100
    Options
    field hockey, or a lacrosse ball or some form of solid ball.

you don't have to high bar squat just don't try and move it lower down your back, the lower the bar the more forward the torso. Just keep working on BW squats and get the mobility and balance in place.
  • girlie100
    Options
    The OP is low bar squatting, I was just saying don't try and get the bar even lower on the back until the flexibility issues are dealt with and a BW squat can be done to depth without toppling forward
  • Care76
    Options
    I have an empty 12.2 pound bar I can use. I am practicing BW squats, but my hips are pretty sore from stretching them yesterday.