Rotating running shoes??

Options
2»

Replies

• amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I usually buy 3 pair at a time online, all the same brand and style. I use one pair for running 5 days a week while "breaking in" a new pair 2 days a week on my 3 mile walks with the dog.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have more shoes that I can count and I rotate them daily.

The study results are not surprising to me. Wearing different types of shoes will help work different foot/leg muscles while putting less strain on others. As others have posted above, different shoes are suitable for different types of workouts/weather conditions.

Other benefits include:

1. Each pair will last longer

2. Your shoes will smell better

3. Its cheaper to buy multiple pairs of shoes when you see them on clearance than when you "need them" when your current pair nears retirement age. I probably buy 3 pairs of name brand running shoes for the same price as many people buy one.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So this morning I read an article that talks about runners that have more than one pair of running shoes, and they rotate them.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/study-backs-rotating-shoes-to-lower-injury-risk?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-RotatingShoesBetter

So it got me thinking, do you guys also rotate your running shoes? How many pairs of running shoes do you have. Currently I only have one pair Brooks Ravena. I wear them for running and also during the day at work. But this article got me thinking if I should have an extra pair or more. Don't get me wrong any excuse I can find to buy another pair of shoes is fine with me :).

My problem is that I probably wound not rotate from different types of shoes once I find one that works I stick with it.

I have four pairs of Saucony running shoes. One pair I keep exclusively for racing only, the other three pairs I rotate, I also keep a strict mileage count for each pair so that I know when their time is up.

Having more than one pair comes into its own when I might go out running in the rain and they get soaked, stuffing them with newspaper when I get back indoors and leaving them for a day or two lets them completely dry out and I don't have to worry about ever running in shoes that have not quite dried from a previous session.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I never really thought about wearing them every day and breaking them down

Running shoes have a limited life, in the oredr of 500 miles, although less than that if you have a heavy gait or any particular running characteristics.

Rotating running shoes limits the adverse effect of breaking in a new pair, as you're not going to transition from one pair to a completely new pair on every run, by rotating you're mitigating the need.

I have two pairs, one has done about 350Km, the others have done about 30.
  • buchy2009
    buchy2009 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always have at least 2 pairs in rotation and sometimes as many as 4. I don't wear shoes two days in a row and I like to have a fairly fresh pair for long runs. Once my long run pair has more than 150 or 200 miles, I put them into my shorter run rotation until they die. I like using runningahead to keep track of mileage for each pair.
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I rotate two pairs of the same model shoe (Newton Gravity) that I bought about a year apart. One has 450 mi and the other about 300. After reading this thread I'm considering getting a lightweight trainer just for speed/interval runs (perhaps Newton Distance elite but I'm open for suggestions...).

I like rotating the shoes because it at least allows them time to dry and I'm never breaking in a brand-new pair of shoes all by itself.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my running shoes for anything but running, so I would get a pair devoted only to running. The everyday wear on your shoes will cause them to break down a lot faster. Save the every day wear for when you have finally worn them out with running. I still have my old pairs of running shoes that I use for day to day, but don't run in any more.

I know some people who buy two pairs and rotate them. Usually during the tax free weekend or when Brooks has their discount shoe exchange, then rotate them out. But that also depends on the distance you are running if you can do that or not. Remember, most shoes only have a 300-500 mile life span (another reason why wearing your running shoes to work and stuff is not a good idea).

I never really thought about wearing them every day and breaking them down. I am going to buy another pair for every day wear since I am not required to wear high heel shoes at work I can wear tennis. Thanks for that tip. Today is going to be the last day I wear them every day.

I wouldn't buy a pair of tennis just to wear to work. Here's what I do: keep track of mileage on the new running shoe and when it reaches retirement mileage (varies by runner - mine is maybe 450) throw them in the washer and prest-o change-o, new running shoes to kick around town in! I think the shoes last longer when you don't wash them, so I don't ever wash them until they retire. Then they look almost new again. As others have said, only wear running shoes to run in until you retire them. Also, unlace and slip them off. Don't push the back down with your other foot to get them off. That's bad for the back support area (whatever it's called!) of the shoe. If you only have one pair of road shoes to run in, then if they get wet be sure to remove the liner and really open them up. Stuff newspaper into them so that they dry really well before the next day's run. Ideally you would have two pairs to rotate. I have two pairs, but I can't rotate them since one is a road shoe and one is a trail shoe. :)
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I currently have 2 pairs that I wear for running only - Brooks Ghost and Glycerin. I wear the Ghosts for mid-week (shorter) runs and the Glycerin for longer runs. I won't wear the same shoes if I run on consecutive days, either. Luckily I can dress casually at work, so I wear the shoes that are too worn to run in.

Sounds like it's time for shoe shopping!
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Nothing too new to add. I rotate my road shoes according to feel, but only use one pair of shoes on the trail. On roads, I wear Hokas on my 10 mile recovery runs and again on my midweek run if my feet, knees, or anything else feels sore and tired. Otherwise, I wear my Sauconys. I run trails twice a week and just wear the same pair of trail shoes regardless.
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have three pairs of road shoes which I rotate (although not every day, which I should - but getting my othotics in and out of them is a hassle.) I buy several pairs in sales and stack them up.

Only problem I find is sometimes I get a bit emotionally attached to one particular pair after good runs, which I know is silly!

I also have trail shoes and fell running shoes - which do what they say on the tin....

And a pair of New Balance which I got free when I was a pacer at a half marathon but don't give me enough support - those are dog walking ones now!
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    What an interesting thread. I only have one pair of running shoes which have done about 300 miles now and I'm starting to get knee issues so maybe it's time for me to get new ones and start rotating them and then get another new pair as soon as finances allow.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have one pair of New Balance Minimus Trail 10v2s that I use for trail runs - which are not a huge part of my running right now.

Other that that, I always have one pair of my main shoes - Vibram FiveFingers SeeYas.

I currently have three pair of them... but I don't rotate them. Two pair are on the shelf in their boxes waiting their turn.

The current pair of SeeYas is pushing 600 miles on them, so they will probably get retired in the next two to three months.

Because there is no cushioning to break down, I've never worried about rotating my shoes.

I am ramping up my mileage in prep for my first marathon, so as I get to 40+ miles per week, I am going to start looking for a more cushioned (but still minimalist or zero drop) shoe to rotate in and see how it goes.