Hello from Texas!

Options
I just found this group and am glad to find fellow fencers here. What weapon(s) do you fence? I am a sabrist through and through.

Replies

• Davidvmw
    Davidvmw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Nice to see a group with a fencing theme on here! I’ve been a fencing tragic for 26 years and still counting, after starting as a 12-year old at school. I’ve been a foilist all that time (why mess with perfection?) and have been a junior champion, national champion, international medallist, I’ve fenced for my country, and all that kind of stuff.

I gave the serious competing away nearly 15 years ago, due to a combination of discovering girls (!) and wanting to establish a career. And of course over that time the weight has slowly crept on… I have had breaks of a few years, interspersed with times of training at club 1-2 times per week to keep my eye in, which is more or less where I am presently.

But for a variety of reasons I want to dive back into competition again – I am about to hit 40 so will be eligible for Veterans, which means there are some local, national, and even international competitions I can potentially compete in, which sounds infinitely more enjoyable that getting pummelled in open competition by 17-year olds! As part of that I want to prove to myself that I’ve learned from my mistakes the first time round – despite my success I always half-assed the fitness element of fencing, and as a result I don’t feel I ever reached my potential. Maybe I can reach my Veteran’s potential instead?

So my big target is a competition in about 2 years – I have time on my side, but lots to do. Baby steps. The first step is to get my weight/diet/lifestyle under control. I have roughly 46lbs to lose, and while that might not sound like a lot compared to some other people, I have never really been successful in losing it before. My weapon of choice is a ketogenic diet, as my reading has suggested there are things I have observed about my body and metabolism that make me think it might suit me. Only 3 days in so far though ;)

Would love to hear more about what brings you guys here, and your journey through fencing?

Take care,

D.
  • sabregrrrl
    Options
    Hi David,
    I just competed in my first Vet NAC last weekend so I can appreciate your fencing goal. Where do you train? I'm at Cutting Edge Fencing in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    To round out the trio, I fence epee! I'm in South Africa and have only fenced for 18 months (since a club finally opened in my town). I competed in a couple of SA competitions last year and hope to make it to more this year. I love fencing and it really is a great motivation to loose the extra weight and work on my fitness. Nearly halfway to my goal weight and working on fitness with my coach. I know it has improved, but got a long way to go to challenge the boys at my club and the girls I fence at Nationals.

Oh, and I am a French gripper...