Darn it. Shin splint.

Options
QuietBloom
QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
Argh! I knew I needed new shoes, but just no money in the budget right now. So my body did the right thing (I guess) and I got a shin splint. It's pretty low and to the inside of my left tibia - I am a pronator. Very painful and some swelling! :sad: I've decided to side line myself until I can get some new shoes - I asked Santa for some. :bigsmile:

Any tips? I iced right when I got home and have an ace ankle bandage on, and that makes an incredible difference in the level of pain, as I can walk without hobbling now.

Thanks fellow runners!!

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    In for the advice. I'm kinda going through it right now, same spot. I just got new shoes a month ago too and it's flared up real bad since my turkey trot 5k that I raced, but I've been running at the same level/mileage. Google MD has diagnosed me with a stress fracture and I'm all whipped up now haha
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    In for the advice. I'm kinda going through it right now, same spot. I just got new shoes a month ago too and it's flared up real bad since my turkey trot 5k that I raced, but I've been running at the same level/mileage. Google MD has diagnosed me with a stress fracture and I'm all whipped up now haha

Stress fractures mean 4 to 6 weeks strictly off running. I had me one of those once. :ohwell:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Keep icing it for now and elevate the leg as much as you can. No running for a while but you can bike if it doesn't cause pain. My wife recently got shin splints to the point of being a "stress reaction" as the doctor called it. She had some swelling too and kept icing it daily. Now she is taking at least 3 weeks off from running while using the elliptical & stationary bike at the gym instead. She would roll a tennis ball on the area quite a bit. Hurt at the time but seemed to bring some relief later.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    ^^Thank you for reminding me to elevate it! I have it wrapped, and I'll do some icing sessions today. I hadn't thought to massage it - it is so painful to the touch right now. Maybe once it's back on the path to healing.