Cafe Roubaix / Specialized bikes

Options
So, my Twitter feed exploded this weekend with this story about a local bike shop being harassed by Specialized for using the name "Roubaix" in its name. See links below for the full story.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/12/07/war-veteran-forced-to-change-bike-shops-name-after-threat-from-u-s-bike-giant-specialized/

https://www.facebook.com/CafeRoubaix

My opinion on this is that Specialized is losing a LOT of respect from the cycling community. Roubaix is the name of a town and a race. I didn't even know that the big S had a bike by that name before this weekend. After reading how many lawsuits that S has launched through the years on small businesses, I'm glad I ride a Trek bike. I certainly won't support a corporate bully picking on the little guy.

BTW, I wonder if the town of Roubaix and the race are considering legal action against Specialized? Last I heard, most towns and races are legal corporations and control the use of their name...

Replies

• AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You may not realize that Trek also has a history of litigation for trademark infringement. Trek sued a winery in an attempt to stop them from using Trek in their name - even going so far as demanding they destroy their entire stock of labelled bottles. Trek has an even bigger "black eye" from outrageous lawsuits - Trek sued TdF legend Greg Lemond for violating Trek's licensing agreement because Lemond spoke out in 2001 against Armstrong regarding Lance's (back then) "alleged" use of PEDs. Even after Lemond publicly apologized to Armstrong, Trek very unceremoniously dropped everything that carried Lemond's name. (Congrats to Trek for being on the wrong side of history on that one.) Heavy handed litigation is not unique to Specialized, or Trek, or any other big bike manufacturer. FWIW, I own both Trek (a Lemond, no less) and Specialized Roubaix. If you ride a corporate-made bike, you can reasonably assume someone somewhere has been sued by that corporation.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Most big brands have a penchant for lawsuits as they (and the courts) have such a low opinion of the average public's ability to distinguish between items of same/similar names. How many in the cycling field would think that Cafe Roubaix wheels equates the Specialized Roubaix bicycle? Many wouldn't but enough would unfortuantely. The fact they're tussling over a place name is incredible as well. Velonews had a pretty reasoned (compared to much of the vitriol on Twitter and Facebook) about this: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/12/news/must-read-specialized-muscles-vet-over-shops-name_310755

But I know this...I may only be one guy, in a small town but I will shop my conscience as best as I can the next time I buy a bike. Simpler put: Specialized isn't getting any of my money for a long time.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how they were even allowed to copyright the name of a French town. That's ridiculous.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Saw that. *kitten* Specialized. I think this will be the beginning of the end for them. You can't be a prick in the age of Social Media. Already ordered a T from Cafe Roubaix.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Saw that. *kitten* Specialized. I think this will be the beginning of the end for them. You can't be a prick in the age of Social Media. Already ordered a T from Cafe Roubaix.

The ONLY thing our LBS carries from Specialized is apparently water bottles and they are suddenly looking for a new vender.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    On a lighter note a Melbourne bike store that predominantly and is well known for selling Specialized bikes had the reopening of their store last week. However at the reopening they decided that having body painted models was a good idea. As you can imagine this went down rather well.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/12/09/total-rushs-topless-mistake-explodes-in-melbourne/
  • jerbsod
    Options
    They only send threatening letters because the other party cannot afford the lawsuit. and they know it. its that simple, therefore they win. Even if you took them on and won and get them to pay cost, they would appeal till you go bankrupt.
    will they also sue every bar in France called Cafe Roubaix ? cause there are 100's of em.
  • CharbyOttawa
    CharbyOttawa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Update: It turns out that ASI (Fuji Bicycles) actually owns the copyright on the term "Roubaix" in the US, and leases the copyright to Specialized. ASI smacked down Specialized, and allowed the owner of Cafe Roubaix to use the name.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/12/10/cochrane-war-vet-to-keep-bike-shop-name-after-agreement-with-specializeds-founder/

Social media works. All companies should realize this and think about the consequences before sending threatening letters.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    ^^ love this! So glad to hear that the owner can keep his shop name and that specialized not only got put in their place, but has the backlash of the cycling community. Some companies just think their untouchable!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Update: It turns out that ASI (Fuji Bicycles) actually owns the copyright on the term "Roubaix" in the US, and leases the copyright to Specialized. ASI smacked down Specialized, and allowed the owner of Cafe Roubaix to use the name.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/12/10/cochrane-war-vet-to-keep-bike-shop-name-after-agreement-with-specializeds-founder/

Social media works. All companies should realize this and think about the consequences before sending threatening letters.

That's freaking hilarious. Specialized didn't even own the name! What a bunch of ****s.