Belts! Eep! Choices, dilemma, brain exploding..

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
so.. do I go for a best belt, a lever belt, or what?! I would rather spend what I need to get quality (I presume that means leather!) so I only want to do this right. And while I'm in the UK I have friends in the US I could get it shipped to who could then forward it (if that would be cheaper? don't know if it would?).

and what size? round my navel with everything hanging out is 40 inches, pulled in is 36 inches or with the measure squeezed tight 34 inches..

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Does anyone at your gym have a belt you can try out for a set or two?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    so.. do I go for a best belt, a lever belt, or what?! I would rather spend what I need to get quality (I presume that means leather!) so I only want to do this right. And while I'm in the UK I have friends in the US I could get it shipped to who could then forward it (if that would be cheaper? don't know if it would?).

Go with leather and a belt that is the same size all the way around. Some belts are smaller in the front which IMO defeats their effectiveness for assisting with intra-abdominal pressure.

I went with the Rogue Econ Belt because it was a good price and actually came in a small so it fits (most of the belts I looked at online were too big). I believe Rogue Fitness has a Euro site.
    and what size? round my navel with everything hanging out is 40 inches, pulled in is 36 inches or with the measure squeezed tight 34 inches..

You want to measure around the area you'll wear it (navel) with a tank top or whatever shirt you wear to lift in. If you find one you like online there should be a measuring chart, etc.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Go with leather and a belt that is the same size all the way around. Some belts are smaller in the front which IMO defeats their effectiveness for assisting with intra-abdominal pressure.

I went with the Rogue Econ Belt because it was a good price and actually came in a small so it fits (most of the belts I looked at online were too big). I believe Rogue Fitness has a Euro site.

I do think there are some cases where a tapered belt would be appropriate. I only found this out by googling something like "why would you use a tapered belt? lol noobs." 4" wide is pretty standard as that is the max most federations allow in competition. However due to differences in anthropomtrics some people can't wear a 4" belt without it overlapping their ribs (or getting pushed into ribs at squat depth) which can lead to cracked ribs (ask my gym co-owner). The best 3" belt is really new, and I don't think there is a 3" lever belt. Thus some small framed or short torso'd people use a tapered belt that is 2.5" in the front. I'm 5'6" and not particularly leggy, but my belt JUST fits between my ribs and hips. My 4'11" training partner uses a 4" belt no problem. This is why I asked if you had someone's you could borrow as I know you are long limbed.

Best, Titan, Inzer, and a few other of the pricey brands use 1 thick piece of leather for their belts and they will last at least 1 life time. The "value" belts are usually bonded leather (watch out for any that have plastic in between as they will never break in) and will still last a good long time, but might take a bit longer to break in.

You want to measure around the area you'll wear it (navel) with a tank top or whatever shirt you wear to lift in. If you find one you like online there should be a measuring chart, etc.

I think this may depend on leanness a bit. I have an inzer large, but could still use an extra large or medium at my current size- it would just be on the larger or smaller end of the holes depending. If you have less squish that may be more important to pinpoint your ideal size. I get serious muffin top from my belt! Best will custom make you pretty much anything you want, and Inzer has a broad range of sizing (from 22" to 58") If you get a lever be sure to carry a screw driver around in your bag. I'm usually fine without changing it, but if I had a massive lunch or decide to lift in my sweatshirt I just wear it bigger.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    I have plenty of squish, it's where all my squish is - hence the vast range of different measurements depending on how I hold everything in!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind if you are ever going to compete, these are the rules for the BDFPA which are prob standard for UK powerlifting:

6. BELTS:
    A competitor may wear a belt. If worn, it shall be on the outside of the lifting suit.

a) Materials and Construction:
    1. The main body shall be made of leather or vinyl in one or more laminations which may be glued and\or stitched together.
    2. It shall not have any additional padding, bracing or supports of any material either on the surface or concealed within the laminations of the belt.
    3. Any type of metal buckle or fastener is permitted including the quick release type, providing the under loop of the two ends of the belt does not exceed 10cms (3.95ins).
    4. A Velcro fastener on a belt is not permitted.
    5. The metal buckle may consist of one or two prongs.
    6. The buckle and studs are the only non-leather/vinyl components permitted. The buckle shall be attached at one end of the belt by means of studs and\or stitching.
    7. A leather tongue loop shall be attached close to the buckle by means of studs and\or stitching.
    8. The name of the lifter, their nation, division or club may appear on the outside of the belt.

b) Dimensions:
    1. Width of belt maximum of 10cm (3.95ins).
    2. Thickness of belt maximum of 13mm (0.5ins) along the main length.
    3. Inside width of buckle maximum of 11cm (4.35ins)
    4. Outside width of buckle maximum of 13cm (5.13ins).
    5. Tongue loop maximum width of 5cm (1.98ins).
    6. Distance between end of belt and the far end of tongue loop 15cm maximum (5.9ins).
  • girlie100
    Options
    And while I'm in the UK I have friends in the US I could get it shipped to who could then forward it (if that would be cheaper? don't know if it would?)

When you purchase goods abroad they have to do a customs declaration on the cost of the item and you will then be charged VAT and import duty on its arrival in the UK. Some firms include this if the sell worldwide regularly some don't. Ideally if you could get it shipped to a U.S address and then they internationally shipped it to you as a 'gift' I'm not sure how that works customs wise, may be worth some research.
  • girlie100
    Options
    ah found it :smile:

Gifts sent from outside the EU

If you're sending or receiving a gift from outside the EU:

Excise Duty is payable on any alcohol or tobacco products
    Customs Duty is payable if the value of the gift exceeds £135, but will be waived if the amount of duty is £9 or under
    import VAT is payable if the value of the gift exceeds £36

To qualify as a gift:

It must have been sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in the UK.
    The Customs Declaration must be completed correctly – see guidance on the customs procedures for goods posted to the UK link below.
    It must be for the use of either you or your family.
    There must be no commercial or trade element and it must not have been paid for by the recipient either directly or indirectly.
    It must be of an occasional nature only - for example for a birthday or anniversary.
    If it's perfume or toilet water it must be within the allowances described in the earlier section 'Perfume and toilet water'. If the allowances are exceeded than charges apply on the excess.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    yes, even with VAT and customs it wouldn't be the $65 that best belts would charge..

loling at the regs - number 6 implies the stitching has to be leather!
  • girlie100
    Options
    Thats why I opted for the Titan longhorn as Pullum are a UK dealer for them it worked out the same price as buying direct but with no VAT to add on when it reaches the UK.

Just make sure your friend uses their credit card to make the purchase and write a happy birthday message on the box or something :wink:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    do you like it? what colour did you get?
    did you expect the spanish inquisition?!
  • girlie100
    Options
    hahah it hasn't turned up yet, I ordered a turquoise one so have to wait 6weeks. But they have black in stock in the UK. But with the Titan belts get the Longhorn not the cheaper Torro as they have a lever made in China and there is a few reviews out there that claim they snap