Interested new rider

Options
Trying to get into riding again haven't rode anything in a while had just a cheap bike I found on craigslist when I lived in Texas. Now I'm in West Virginia and was wondering if anyone could recommend a bike from Walmart, short on funds at the moment cycling seems like it would go hand in hand with geocaching to me lol. Plan on riding pavement mainly but do want to go on some off-road trails without having to change tires or anything I'd love to get one of the higher end bikes from a bicke store but finds are low. My main concern is I'm 6'2 and 300lbs just worried about finding one that will hold up to my weight. Eventually I'll move up to a better bike. Any suggestions? Anyone from Wv here? Thanks in advance

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    CHeck Craigslist or something. A Walmart bike will be okay to get started, and it's better than nothing. BUT, if you are serious, spend your money on a good quality bike from a bike shop. There is a big difference in the quality and construction of bikes, and the ones from Walmart, Target, etc... do not hold up well.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Now is a good time to be looking for a bike, especially in West Virginia. The Bike shops will often put their rental bikes on sale at the end of the riding season so you can pick up a good bike for not so many bucks. They also often have bikes on commission where someone is selling the bike through the LBS (Local Bike Shop). Trust me, you will be much better off with a good quality used bike that fits, than a generic bike from Walmart. Craigslist is a good place to look but it really is buyer beware. If you're going to get one off of Craigslist, see if the owner will let you have it checked out at the LBS. If they won't, it's a good sign you shouldn't buy the bike.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Don't buy from Walmart. Buy from a local bike shop. They at least stand behind their product. The other problem with a Walmart bike, it WILL break and you will have to replace parts. You are better off paying more money up front
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Don't buy from Walmart. Buy from a local bike shop. They at least stand behind their product. The other problem with a Walmart bike, it WILL break and you will have to replace parts. You are better off paying more money up front

This.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Unless it's the forks/frame that break, then you may not be around to buy replacements.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Due to budget: See if someone will loan you a mountain bike (preferably a hard-tail mtb). I suspect that you will have hills in West Virginia and the lower gearing on the MTB will encourage you to ride more. If they will let you then use some money to get slick tires for the MTB so you can ride on the road.

Check in the area for a bike along these lines:
    http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes-road-urban-trail-misceo-misceo-1-0 - should be around $400
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.3/14810/66193/#specifications - also around $400 but I wouldn't pay more than $250; the next model up the Escape 2

The Raleigh is the better of the two bikes in my opinion because the components are a little better. The Raleigh is a road bike frame with Mountain bike components... the Escape is a true hybrid and I doubt would ever ride like a road bike.

I did buy a Bike Store Schwinn (better than Walmart Schwinn's) when I started riding at 300lbs. It was a comfort bike and although I put several thousand miles on that bike I would have been better served with a Misceo.

BTW, if take the time to get to know a local bike shop (preferably one not locked into a Specialized or Trek deal) then you might be offered a deal on a used bike. For example, if I had $500 my LBS called me yesterday on a used carbon frame bicycle with Chris King wheels and 105/Tiagra components -- anyone want to loan me some money :-)
  • tflint89
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm looking for a crossover or XC as some call it or a hybrid. I'll check the LBS I know one rents bikes.
  • tflint89
    Options
    Went by ****s sporting goods just to kill time and looked at the mens resonance DBX anyone have any experience with this bike?
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    CHeck Craigslist or something. A Walmart bike will be okay to get started, and it's better than nothing. BUT, if you are serious, spend your money on a good quality bike from a bike shop. There is a big difference in the quality and construction of bikes, and the ones from Walmart, Target, etc... do not hold up well.

^^^^ THIS! Plus, a bike shop should fit you into the right size bike and you'll be in the most comfort. Translation, you'll use the bike more. Win-win
  • Phildog47
    Options
    Went by ****s sporting goods just to kill time and looked at the mens resonance DBX anyone have any experience with this bike?

Did MFP do that? OMG hilarious. My daughter owns this bike. It's ok if you are 120 lbs. and a teenager. The mechanic at ****'s told me that they have had problems with the derailleurs.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm a WV gal, where are you? Maybe I can hoiok you up with some folks in your area who ride..,
  • tflint89
    Options
    Im in the charleston area but haven't picked a bike yet trying to find a good one that isn't gonna break the bank
  • Phildog47
    Options
    A bike at Wallyworld will cost you $200. An inexpensive bike store bike will cost you $350-400. You could spend even less if you look at the used ones or closeouts. It's still winter, so spend some time shopping around, research bikes/features online.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I think if you can invest some money then getting a hybrid will be an awesome choice for you.
    A hybrid can deal with roads, grass, some sand, so pretty much the surface a casual rider would encounter
    It is easier to ride on a hybrid then a mountainbike on these kind fo surfaces.
    a hybrid also easier to handle than a roadbike - no need to worry about pedals, about changing gear etc...these are fairly straightforward
    if you have pre-existing medical conditions then a hybrid is a great choice - usually gives you an option of riding sitting straight up rather than bent forward - easy on your back.
    if your riding skills are a bit rusty -(do you ride on the road with the cars? can you stop without putting your feet down at the red light?) then a hybrid will help you refresh them without risking yourself..
    I would go with a hybrid:)
  • tflint89
    Options
    Thanks everyone yeah it's been a while since I've rode a bike trying to lose another 30lbs on top if the 50 I've lost yeah little dirt grass concrete little bit of everything is what I plan on riding
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Mountain State Wheelers are the local bike club in Charleston. Look them up when you find a bike. They have rides for all levels. You might even try their site to see if they have any good LBS recommendations or places to find used bikes. Bikers like buying new bikes, and bikers spouses tend to think that means we need to sell older bikes... we rarely agree, but sometimes accept it... Good Luck.
  • tflint89
    Options
    Thanks rides4sanity I'll look them up.
  • tflint89
    Options
    Well I found a 2013 schwinn sidewinder online gonna go look at it today its not the best but it will be a starter. That will get me out there lol