Two Half Marathons 7 weeks apart?

Options
Hello all!

I'm thinking about what races I want to sign up for 2014 (nice procrastination from studying :smile: ). I've signed up for the Rock 'n' Roll Seattle half on June 22nd, and would like to sign up for the Vancouver Half on May 4th ... but
I am wondering if it is realistic to race 2 HM's 7 weeks apart from one another? I've only done one half in the past, so I am a relatively novice runner.

I realize that I'm planning a long time ahead here, but I like to sign up when it's still early-bird pricing and also the training program that I'd like to do at a local running store (if I do the Vancouver Half) starts first week of January.

Thanks for your advice! :happy:

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Honestly, having a HM under your belt, you have an idea of what you need to do to recover and then get back into the training needed to sustain for the 2nd HM. Assuming you use the week after the race to rest, my guess is you can download to whatever week in your training and then just go back up from there. That will not only give you the recovery and gradual build back up that is recommended but will also put you back into the training for the next HM. But that is just my suggestion lol.

I am going to do the Road Race Series and the Greenline Half Marathon which puts 3 HMs within a 2 month period next summer lol
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't think it should be a problem, especially since you have done one before.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you're "racing" both, and your recovery time. I think 7 weeks is plenty if you are planning on racing them (and I mean racing as in all out pukefest and want to die after). I'm doing a fairly concentrated amount of HMs, but I'm not "racing" them all - I've got A races and B races. The B races are being done as easy training runs for free vacation time or as a favor for someone.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Seven weeks in between should be plenty of time unless you were nursing an injury coming out of the 1st race.

Take a week or so of recovery pace activities and then hop back in to the latter part of your training plan.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This should not be a problem at all.

My $.02- do not wait until race day to go 13+ miles. Try to do it in training a couple times before race day.

Good luck and have fun!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Plenty of time. Go for it!
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    Honestly, having a HM under your belt, you have an idea of what you need to do to recover and then get back into the training needed to sustain for the 2nd HM. Assuming you use the week after the race to rest, my guess is you can download to whatever week in your training and then just go back up from there. That will not only give you the recovery and gradual build back up that is recommended but will also put you back into the training for the next HM. But that is just my suggestion lol.

I am going to do the Road Race Series and the Greenline Half Marathon which puts 3 HMs within a 2 month period next summer lol

Thanks for the feedback - honestly for my first half, I felt fine after (I did Tough Mudder about 4-5 weeks after) but I am hoping to push myself a lot more in training this time around. At that time, I was mostly just running "to finish"

Good luck with your summer races!
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    Depends on if you're "racing" both, and your recovery time. I think 7 weeks is plenty if you are planning on racing them (and I mean racing as in all out pukefest and want to die after). I'm doing a fairly concentrated amount of HMs, but I'm not "racing" them all - I've got A races and B races. The B races are being done as easy training runs for free vacation time or as a favor for someone.

Great, thanks for the input. I would like to "race" both...but I'm not sure about the all-out pukefest part haha. Best of luck with your schedule of copious amounts of races :-)
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    Seven weeks in between should be plenty of time unless you were nursing an injury coming out of the 1st race.

Take a week or so of recovery pace activities and then hop back in to the latter part of your training plan.

Thanks - this is helpful as I was wondering how I would go about "training" for the second. 1 week of recovery and then restarting at week 9 or so (14 week training plan) will probably work well. Thank you!
  • julie_emma1
    Options

My $.02- do not wait until race day to go 13+ miles. Try to do it in training a couple times before race day.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the 2 cents! In my first race, I think I did 11 or 12 miles as the longest run before my race, and this time around I'm really hoping to do more longer training runs beforehand. Would you recommend 13? 14? or even longer?
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging responses! I've decided to register for the Vancouver Half :happy:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I just saw this, but I wanted to add that 7 weeks should be enough time. I did two halfs 4 weeks apart back in October and November. I planned that race #1 would be my huge pr and race #2 was just for fun. Race #1 went badly. I beat my pr by 30 seconds, but had no skin left on my legs and wanted to die. So afrer a couple of days rest/healing I decided I was going to make the next race my pr. Four weeks after race 1 I beat my pr by 5:15. Maybe it wasn't a good plan, but it worked for me, 7 weeks seems more reasonable.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    When marathon training, most of the Hal Higdon plans have you race a half marathon 9 weeks before the actual marathon. Given that the training for the half is a little lighter, I agree with everyone else. Good luck.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    use the 1st one to tune up for the 2nd one.
  • Spikethered
    Options
    Im sure it will be fine, I did 2 in 3 weeks and felt fine(I run about 3 times per week.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    definately. I was crazy and did my 2nd full marathon a week after my 1st full. My plan was to race the first one and survive the 2nd. I actually PRed the 2nd one on a hillier course (go figure). My focus during the 5 weeks was recovery not training. I didn't even run the two weeks after the first marathon. You need to listen to your body and take it easy if you need to.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of running lots of halfs close together. This past fall I did 3 halfs in 4 weeks, and a 4th one 5 weeks later. If you are well trained, you will be fine. A half marathon doesn't require a lot of recovery. I am also really bad at racing - my races aren't really a much faster pace than my training runs (some of it is training too fast, but I also don't get a good race mentalilty where I push myself any harder than I do during training.)
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, 7 weeks should be plenty of time to do another half. Half marathons aren't as intense as fulls so I don't even take time to recover. I have my butt back out running the next day. I've even done two within 7 days.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the 2 cents! In my first race, I think I did 11 or 12 miles as the longest run before my race, and this time around I'm really hoping to do more longer training runs beforehand. Would you recommend 13? 14? or even longer?

My longest run before my first half was about 11 miles and before my second may have been 12. I've already hit 14 and plan to have several 13s, a couple of 14s, at least one 15 and at least one 16 before my next half in February. I'm working on having an overall higher volume of running before this half.

And I don't think there's any problem with 7 weeks between halfs. I'd probably be likely to just keep increasing running after the first to try to have even more of a base for the second. But I'm new enough at this to not know if that's a bad idea.

Next year I have planned a 10K, 10 mile, two halfs, a 30K, and a full marathon between October and February. I'm interested to see how I do with all that.