Lupus and Increased Heart Rate?

Options
pthjones
pthjones Posts: 5 Member
Hi! I am totally new to this group and relatively new to lupus as I was only diagnosed this summer. I am on plaquinil and work out regularly now that my pain is down to a fairly tolerable level however I noticed that my heart rate is outrageous! Even my resting HR is pretty elevated and I am not sure if that is normal with lupus or if its due to my medicine or if anyone is having this issue. I have always been athletic and have always had a below average HR until recently and don't want to be concerned if this happens to lots of us. Thank in advance for sharing your experience-

Replies

• shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am taking plaquenil also for lupus (SLE). I've never had that symptom. If I did, though, I'd be on the phone with a Dr. I'm very quick about getting my symptom lists to my doctors to diagnose. I found that I almost never have any luck googling anything like that. This probably has nothing to do with anything at all, but is your thyroid normal?
  • pthjones
    Options
    I am hypothyroid but I have had that diagnosis for 8 years and never seen it effect my heart rate, do you think it could?
    I hate to call my dr. if it is something 'normal' because I hate to seem like a worry wort. I guess thats something I will have to get over!!
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Could the increased heart rate be HYPERthyroid, or anxiety?
  • MultiGoddess
    MultiGoddess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have cardiac conditions secondary to lupus. I have tachycardia, arrhythmia, congestive heart failure, have had two mini strokes (at least), chronic venous insufficiency as well as scarring on my heart secondary to inflammation from lupus. I am on two medications to keep my heart rate lowered and steady.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are you taking prednisone or recently weaned off of it?

Pred shot my resting heart rate up to 125+ after several months. I had to take heart meds for several months, but it took a good year to settle back down to normal.
  • pthjones
    Options
    Thanks eveybody! I ended up seeing a cardiologist as my other dr's did not think it was associated with the lupus. Ends up its tachycardia and am now on beta blockers which are helping a bunch. Thanks for answering me :)