Anyone trying "The Walk"?

Options
knitapeace
knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
Looks like a walking app that rivals Zombies Run, by the same company. Just wondering if you have to have your device on you all day to track your total steps per day, or if it's more of a "turn it on when you go out for exercise" kind of thing.

Love to hear any reviews before I buy!

Replies

• asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing myself. It looks like it monitors your daily steps, which to me would mean it needs to be running in the background. I wouldn't want that as it would be a huge battery drain. Now if it would somehow tie in to my fitbit & take my daily steps from there I would love the app, but until I know more I am not going to buy it.

BUT again I am only presuming it needs to be running, etc. If someone has tried it & can give us more info it would be much appreciated.
  • Leebett
    Leebett Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Love the concept, but not sure about the logistics. It's new so hopefully there will be some new reviews in the upcoming days.
  • asp415
    Options
    if you haven't already there is a facebook group thats run by a fan of this program & there is a long review in there regarding the walk.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    if you haven't already there is a facebook group thats run by a fan of this program & there is a long review in there regarding the walk.
    Thanks - I'll check it out!
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I plan on it, but I have to wait until May for my new phone. My current one is only running Android 2.something, and The Walk requires 4 or higher. The only reason I can do ZR2 is I put it on my iPad and wear that in a backpack when I do missions. LOL But, from the looks of it, The Walk is designed to track your steps all the time, which wouldn't work with the iPad as I don't carry it around with me.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    So I broke down and bought it but haven't really explored it that much yet. It does appear (according to the note Six to Start put up on their Tumblr) that it's more of a daily tracker than a "one big walk a day" kind of thing. I don't carry my iphone with me when I'm at the office...I leave it on my desk so I can see if one of the kids texts me. I don't want to be putting it in my pocket every time I get up for the printer or the bathroom! I don't know how useful it will be but I do like supporting the company that has given me so many hours of enjoyment during ZR!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a continually-running daily activity monitor using your phone as a pedometer. If you're reasonably active, the daily targets are easily manageable if you only use it for "official" workouts when you deliberately have your phone with you. It's not as interactive as Zombies, Run! and if you want to listen to music you'll have to do it through your standard music app. The broadcasts can be listened to in real time or at a later time when you've unlocked them. You have the option on each mission to take a couple of diversions that add a few minutes to your target too. I'm enjoying it!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I bought it and I've done two missions so far.

It's boring and I can't think of a good use for it/a situation where it wouldn't be rubbish.

I've completed 62 ZR missions and recommend that to everyone - if that's any qualifier.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing myself. It looks like it monitors your daily steps, which to me would mean it needs to be running in the background. I wouldn't want that as it would be a huge battery drain. Now if it would somehow tie in to my fitbit & take my daily steps from there I would love the app, but until I know more I am not going to buy it.

BUT again I am only presuming it needs to be running, etc. If someone has tried it & can give us more info it would be much appreciated.

If you already have a fitbit, an audio book would be a better choice for you.
  • asp415
    Options

If you already have a fitbit, an audio book would be a better choice for you.

I can't do all talk, it's an annoyance. I need the music, it helps me zone out & just go, if I think too much about what I'm doing I start thinking I can't.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    The Walk provides zero music, and zero music integration.

Keep pausing the book after only listening to it for a minute, then don't start it again for another 5-7 minutes.
    This will exactly mimic the app.

Ta da.

A random book selection has a high chance of having a better story.
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's too bad that this is how they tried to branch out. :(

I was hoping for something new from them too, but actually was hoping for a different story line. Love Zombies, Run, but I'm not actually a huge fan of the horror genre (unless it's campy and comedy filled). I love a good rom com, or just comedy in general. I thought it would be amazing if they did one where you're runner trying get hot for someone or something. Or maybe something like the Zombies, Run radio app but where they are talking about exercise or some kind of podcast intermixed with your own music and the announcer tells you when to run, when to walk, etc. I would totally buy something like that. I bought Zombies, Run because it seemed really creative and interesting, and it was! But there must be ways to integrate other interests or scenarios onto the Zombies,Run platform
  • asp415
    Options
    The Walk provides zero music, and zero music integration.

Keep pausing the book after only listening to it for a minute, then don't start it again for another 5-7 minutes.
    This will exactly mimic the app.

Ta da.

A random book selection has a high chance of having a better story.

It's a good idea, but once I start running I don't stop. So I wouldn't have the patience to start & stop the app while running. I will probably wait to get it until some things are fixed on the app, like the music integration, etc.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    The Walk stops on it's own. You have to get your phone out, unlock it, go back one screen to see if the next track is selectable, then select it. If it's not, repeat again in few minutes.
    I doubt they'll change this, as it is the main feature and what makes it different from other apps.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

I was hoping for something new from them too, but actually was hoping for a different story line. Love Zombies, Run, but I'm not actually a huge fan of the horror genre (unless it's campy and comedy filled). I love a good rom com, or just comedy in general. I thought it would be amazing if they did one where you're runner trying get hot for someone or something. Or maybe something like the Zombies, Run radio app but where they are talking about exercise or some kind of podcast intermixed with your own music and the announcer tells you when to run, when to walk, etc. I would totally buy something like that. I bought Zombies, Run because it seemed really creative and interesting, and it was! But there must be ways to integrate other interests or scenarios onto the Zombies,Run platform

You need the premise of the player needing to always run, but with a story that adds intensity sections.

Perhaps if they adapted Mirror's Edge into a fitness app.
  • asp415
    Options

You need the premise of the player needing to always run, but with a story that adds intensity sections.

Perhaps if they adapted Mirror's Edge into a fitness app.

Mirror's edge would be fun. I liked that game
  • krabak
    Options
    I have tried the Walk out and initially didn't like it. But then it occurred to me that I tried using it as Zombies, run, i.e. to listen to it/use it during a run/walk and that's not how it's meant to be used at all. Instead it's a general activity tracker you turn on in the morning and forget about it during the day and listen the entire story in the evening after you have completely unlocked it and can play all the tracks automatically in sequence. After that adjustment it turned out to be a fun app.

So just don't try to use it as you would use Zombies, run as it just doesn't support that kind of use (no music, tracks have to be activated individually from the map if you haven't unlocked the whole mission yet etc.) and you're good to go.
  • Vaugirard15
    Vaugirard15 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I also have the Walk and have tried multiple times to use it on the days when I walk for distance (as opposed to running for time). The problem is that all the other apps seem to shut it down-- i.e. MapMyWalk, RunKeeper, podcasts, music. So, though it says it "runs in the background" it really doesn't run in the background if you have anything else going on. Also, on some of the walks, you have a choice of two paths. Unfortunately, if I choose the alternate paths as I'm beginning my walk, they don't "stick" so, unless I happen to be watching the Walk app at right around the time when the fork in the road occurs, I'm out of luck and can't get 100% on that episode.

I think I'll wait now for some updates to occur. The app wasn't supposed to appear until Spring 2014, so maybe by then they'll have some of the kinks worked out.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Interesting concept, but I think I'll stick with my FitBit until the kinks are worked out. Besides, I am still working through ZR.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Walk out and initially didn't like it. But then it occurred to me that I tried using it as Zombies, run, i.e. to listen to it/use it during a run/walk and that's not how it's meant to be used at all. Instead it's a general activity tracker you turn on in the morning and forget about it during the day and listen the entire story in the evening after you have completely unlocked it and can play all the tracks automatically in sequence. After that adjustment it turned out to be a fun app.

So just don't try to use it as you would use Zombies, run as it just doesn't support that kind of use (no music, tracks have to be activated individually from the map if you haven't unlocked the whole mission yet etc.) and you're good to go.

so it is like you are creating your own story by walking during the day?