Salads and dressings

Options
PaleoPath4Lyfe
PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
The name says it all!!!

Looking forward to the yummy salads and the dressings that compliment them!

Replies

• 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I make my own mayonnaise and add adobo seasoning for a great salad dressing.
  • candleholic
    candleholic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is making your own mayo difficult? Do you have a good recipe you suggest for a first timer?
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    http://www.nwedible.com/2013/02/magically-fast-and-easy-homemade-mayonnaise.html

I was looking for the original recipe I used, this one is close. I simple use one egg, one cup olive oil, a squirt of lemon juice, teaspoon Dijon mustard. The immersion blender is the KEY. I bought it specifically for mayo as I had tried the pour oil in slowly technique and that wasn't working for me.

I haven't used store bought since.
  • candleholic
    candleholic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm definitely going to give this a try!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    A rich, velvety, and very elegant French sauce that goes with any meat, fish or vegetable. Really awesome on poached eggs! If you don't know what to do with the vinegar left over from your capers, use it in this recipe.

Hollandaise Sauce

1 egg yolk
    2 tablespoons clarified butter, in liquid form (i.e. Slightly heated)
    1 teaspoon of lemon juice or light coloured vinegar (plain vinegar, white wine vinegar, apple cider, or caper vinegar)
    Salt

In a bowl, preferably stainless steel, whisk egg yolk with lemon juice or vinegar, using a wire whisk. Then continuing with whisking the egg, add clarified butter by one teaspoon at a time, whisking in between intervals until you get a stiff emulsion before you add the next teaspoon of clarified butter. The mixture will turn from deep orange egg yolk colour to a light pastel yellow, and the final emulsion should have the consistency of mayonnaise. Add a pinch of salt at the end, and taste the sauce to see if you need to add more lemon juice or vinegar or salt to your desired taste level. You can also add a bit of water if you want a runnier or looser sauce. This recipe of one egg yolk makes a serving portion for one person, multiply recipe for as many servings you need.
  • zenweeder
    zenweeder Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Paleo/Primal "Ranch" Dressing

1 C. homemade mayo
    1 C. full-fat coconut milk
    1 tsp. dried parsley
    1 tsp. dried dill
    1/2 tsp. dried basil
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1 tsp. garlic salt
    1/4 tsp ground pepper

Whir everything in a small food processor or whisk in a small bowl. Transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator. To serve, set out to come to room temperature and shake or stir as the coconut milk will solidify again as it chills.