I will be sleeved in the New Year

Hi all,

I have been heavily overweight for nearly 12 years after I left school and I'm only 28! (337lbs at the moment) I have tried every diet under the sun but my health has begun to deteriorate. I have dislocated both my knees and now have arthritis in them, have a bad back and continually getting colds etc. I can lose the weight but cannot keep it off and when it goes back on it doubles. I spoke with my doctor and we both agreed that unless I do something soon...well it doesn't bear thinking about really :sad:

I will be having the Sleeve Feb/March 2014. I have had the consultants appointment, my dieticians appointment is 17th January and then we are all set to go and book a date.

I have been reading the thread and it looks like the majority of the group have had good experiences with the surgery and not suffered too badly with pain etc afterwards. The question I put to the group is has anyone had to lose as much as I do and how was your body after losing all the weight. I will be doing exercise once the weight starts to come off but just wondering what the after effects are like or do you require corrective surgery afterwards?
I look forward to hearing from you and please add me, I'm happy to chat xxx
xxx

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I had my sleeve July 2011 at 55 years old. I weighed 386 pounds when I started the process with 226 to lose to my "ideal" weight. In 2 and 1/2 years I've lost 152 pounds, and most of that in the first year. My personal goal is get and stay somewhere below 200 pounds, so I have a bit to go yet.

The change in my mind, self esteem and body is amazing, but my experience will be different from yours body wise because of the age difference. Frankly I will require reconstructive surgery to remove excess skin when I am done. Because you are so much younger, you may not. Your skin is still elastic enough that you might reshape and tone enough with exercise and weights to avoid that. Everyone is different and age plays a huge roll.

This is a great tool and I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that I did the sleeve. It really is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Good luck with your surgery and add me if you want.
  • Wannabslim2014
    Wannabslim2014 Posts: 21 Member
    Wow congratulations on your weight loss 152lbs is fantastic and really inspiring, well done! :flowerforyou:
    Thank you for answering my question, its something I am quite concerned about and to hear how other peoples experiences have been are really helpful. I am actually looking forward to getting back to the gym and swimming, I really enjoyed it when I was more mobile.
    I know that this is going to be really hard work but I'm so desperate to shift this weight now I am really up for the challenge. Usually when I put my mind to something I succeed, except with losing weight on my own that is, I just wished that I had been referred for it sooner so I didn't spend all of my 20's unhappy. I have added you :happy: xxx
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,747 Member
    Try the "Let's Lose 100+!" group - some are sleeves, some are not, but there are a lot of good experiences.
  • Wannabslim2014
    Wannabslim2014 Posts: 21 Member
    Try the "Let's Lose 100+!" group - some are sleeves, some are not, but there are a lot of good experiences.

Thanks Paula, I will have a look now xx