strava

Options
2»

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Premium if you are using a HRM or power meter (or both) is a must. The level of analysis you get with those datasets are very helpful. If you have neither, it's not worth it.

If you've forked out for a power meter and you're not using something a little more sophisticated than Strava premium for analysis, i'd say you were probably scrimping in the wrong area... personally, I'd spring for WKO+ and/or the paid version of TrainingPeaks for the analysis - in a different league when it comes to the analysis of your ride data.

CycleOps Powercal $100ish. Not extremely accurate during rides, but great for analysis afterwards (it's what I use). Google review by DCRainmaker.

I have one, for the days when I've gone out on the 'crosser or the MTB - for the proper bike, I've dropped a Stages crank on there. Interestingly, using the Powercal paired to my old Garmin 705 and the Stages paired to the Garmin 800 the average power from the powercal was something like 15% low (albeit consistently) compared to the Stages. This is probably because i'm a "low beater" HR wise, and subsequently I've run the "calibration" routine in the Poweragent software using a ANT+ usb stick and data from the real powermeter to "tweak" the configuration. It's closer (on an average) but without a matched pair of Garmins to record the power it's hard to compare like for like.

It is however close enough for me to not get bent out of shape about it - especially as on the 'cross or the MTB it tends to be no more than 3 hours or so riding at a time - if it was 5-6 like the roadbike, then it'd be different.
  • cb750r
    cb750r Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thx for sharing, I never used Strava but somehow persuaded myself it was more for competitive roadie outdoing each other in some densely populated area. I read stories of ppl having terrible crash trying to beat KOM (even dying or killing pedestrians)and was wondering what could bring these individuals to a level of virtual competitiveness that brought them to endanger lives.

I personally don't understand the concept of KOM, since the road or Track conditions and weather will be a huge factor in these records and will be different day to day, even unique.
    To me racing another cyclist in a given climb when you meet one is fair game, as it is the same day, under the same conditions, but somehow racing that guy ( and a bunch of others) virtually who was on that same climb last week has no sense of reality.

I Use Movescount, I have a Suunto HR and gps and I really like the info it gives for training but there is virtually no sense of a community. The only user competitive aspect is the time you train. When I look at profiles there and see leaderboard at 500Hrs plus, at 4k Cal expenditure for these 500Hrs, it makes me chuckle. I wish Movescount had a forum for every sport its would make it better.
    I guess thats why Strava is like 6 bucks a month, cause the others don't offer what they do.

I use a suunto t3c right now and I find the movescount really lacking in community and direction. Would really like to jump into a GPS device so that I can take advantage of strava.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Premium if you are using a HRM or power meter (or both) is a must. The level of analysis you get with those datasets are very helpful. If you have neither, it's not worth it.

If you've forked out for a power meter and you're not using something a little more sophisticated than Strava premium for analysis, i'd say you were probably scrimping in the wrong area... personally, I'd spring for WKO+ and/or the paid version of TrainingPeaks for the analysis - in a different league when it comes to the analysis of your ride data.

CycleOps Powercal $100ish. Not extremely accurate during rides, but great for analysis afterwards (it's what I use). Google review by DCRainmaker.

I have one, for the days when I've gone out on the 'crosser or the MTB - for the proper bike, I've dropped a Stages crank on there. Interestingly, using the Powercal paired to my old Garmin 705 and the Stages paired to the Garmin 800 the average power from the powercal was something like 15% low (albeit consistently) compared to the Stages. This is probably because i'm a "low beater" HR wise, and subsequently I've run the "calibration" routine in the Poweragent software using a ANT+ usb stick and data from the real powermeter to "tweak" the configuration. It's closer (on an average) but without a matched pair of Garmins to record the power it's hard to compare like for like.

It is however close enough for me to not get bent out of shape about it - especially as on the 'cross or the MTB it tends to be no more than 3 hours or so riding at a time - if it was 5-6 like the roadbike, then it'd be different.

Yeah, I pretty much was reflecting on this to a buddy--same as your and DCRainmaker's review, close enough for me as well. If you stare at the W/kg too long you won't know what number to take as gospel. However, I did an all-day solo ride back in January and kept my W/kg in the low 2.25-2.5 range all day matching a Z2 HR, well worth the $100 IMO.